Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQS reviews published - longest range and most luxurious ride of all EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that the thread title isn't seen as a deliberate provocation. It isn't meant to be. It simply intends to point out the main objectives Mercedes has concentrated on.
Last night Mercedes lifted an embargo on the publication of reviews of the production version and the reviews are all over the usual sites, Car and Driver, Edmunds etc.

Given that the journalists went all the way to Zurich for the launch of the car, I'm slightly surprised by their rather short reviews. The comment sections are full of rather puerile and partisan comments. Never understood this extreme partisanship for a car. But, so what.

This guy runs what is probably Germany's fastest growing EV review site. Despite running a German channel he has never hesitated to put the boot into German manufacturers and charging station providers, if he believes that they don't deliver. Neither is he a Tesla-basher, therefore I would trust his judgement to be fair. He is less of a tech-geek, he concentrates on the user experience, which he presents at exhaustive length (53 min., only in German, though).

He is a bit ambivalent about the outside looks (according to his and several other opinions the two-tone paint looks much better in the tin than on media), he considers the automatic doors as useless (parked in a tight European city centre you don't want the door to open and close at a majestic pace when a tram is coming down the street with a shrill bell ringing, and at 5.21 m the car is simply too long to fit into many European parking boxes.

Yet the car delivers on its promises:
It has covered the the whole distance between Munich and Berlin (about 600km/ca. 373 miles) at ca. 120 km/h / ca. 75 mph without the need to recharge. If you prefer a less bladder-bursting way to travel, at a more realistic 150 kph / 93 mph it needs one charging stop of about 15 minutes. (that's from other sources)

The top speed is limited to 210 km/h, though. I don't know if that is of any concern outside of Germany, though.
It's not as blisteringly fast as the Plaid, yet at about 4.1 s to 100 km/h it should service almost any driver's needs. If you like to do drag races (which is completely legitimate) you should go for the Plaid. I just don't believe that the buyers of this 5.21. m luxo-barge really see drag races as the car's primary purpose.

One car charged 85 kWh in 31 m at a Ionity charger during the test.

Apparently it is the most silent (inside) car with the best ride on the market, ICE and EVs included.

The elctronics suite with entertainment, navigation and driver aids seems to be market leading. I was a bit surprised, as this usually isn't the strongest point of German brands, yet it seems to deliver. I was most impressed with the car's lane keeping abilities in a construction site. European motorway construction sites can be a nightmare, with the currently valid yellow lines happily mixing with the currently invalid white lines, and narrow left lanes that are hardly wide enough for a modern car. Yet the EQS did hold the track.

Despite its length it has an almost ridiculously small turning circle of 10.5 m, less than far, far smaller cars, thanks to its all-wheel steering.

It is remarkably frugal in its energy consumption. During the test (average speed in Switzerland is rather restricted due to draconian speed limit enforcement, though) was absolutely remarkable at less than 18 kWh/100 km (VW take note).

Again, I trust that the forum users here to be able to appreciate the efforts of other manufacturers. The more choice we have, the better for us consumers.

Last edited:
Those range numbers are big, big news if they check out. Per wikipedia the battery is 8% larger than a model S, and if that's a true average speed then it's beating the S by about 6-7% on energy efficiency. And in a car that is about 500kg heavier?

I'm a little suspicious, honestly. Maybe this vehicle has a bigger battery than claimed? Or the trip was shorter or slower than you think?

Those range numbers are big, big news if they check out. Per wikipedia the battery is 8% larger than a model S, and if that's a true average speed then it's beating the S by about 6-7% on energy efficiency. And in a car that is about 500kg heavier?

I'm a little suspicious, honestly. Maybe this vehicle has a bigger battery than claimed? Or the trip was shorter or slower than you think?

Well, obviously I don't know. At least I'm confident that Berlin and Munich didn't move closer geographically, as Prussians and Bavarians aren't necessarily so much in love. :)
Obviously the reviews that are currently available don't meet scientific standards. Those may be published later. I would be be surprised if they deviated substantially from those that are currently posted, though. I don't believe that journalists would fudge the numbers intentionally to curry favour with Mercedes. Whatever the final numbers, the car seems to be capable to cover substantial distances at a usable speed. No trundling along behind HGVs, for sure.
It has a very very low drag coefficient, perhaps the weight is less decisive on the motorway?

From the Automotorundsport.de test video, one could make a plot of the charging power. It looks really good.

The consumption test result from CarManiac was first published by AMS, so we probably can trust it. They should drive a round trip though.

Attachments

• eqs2.JPG
    eqs2.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Informative
Reactions: Just a Reader
Thanks for breaking it down for us @Just a Reader
What about the price?

Edit; apparently price is not revealed yet.

This is most likely better car than Model S, but also more expensive.
According to this article below, the EQS price is estimated to be about $113,000. That's a little cheaper than an S Plaid, much more expensive than the base Model S. Supposed to arrive in the US this fall.

Mercedes charging German customers a subscription fee...

• Informative
Reactions: electric miles
Mercedes charging German customers a subscription fee...

interesting and funny 😄

Yeah this is looking to be a very good electric Mercedes S Class, which is not what a Model S is.

Consumption numbers seem on average with what a Model S does, but with a slightly bigger battery comes a bit more range.

I'm trusting the ADAS is Mercedes S Class good, but looking from other reviews it shows the satnav and entertainment only win on screen estate, not on actual being the best software and hardware available.

The 210 km/h cap is odd. Even if you don't do +200kph often, I can't imagine people buying a halo car that is limited to only 210, certainly in Germany. Obviously high speeds kill range, but if you're driving those speeds you don't care about range.

Wow, this is bold- Keep in mind Motor Trend had a Model S Plaid for a week of testing.

2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS First Drive: Luxury, Electrified​

Looking for a Tesla competitor? Look elsewhere—the EQS is in a different league.​

Reactions: stcptl
Prices are ready in Germany. Configurator also ready. Apprx €130.000,- for the 580 4matic. Quite a lot of standard equipment but also a ton of extras.
Yes, 106,000 € for the 450+ with the large battery and 136,000 for the 580. These prices include 19% VAT, though. Additionally, these prices are probably not that relevant, as most of these cars are leased in Germany as company cars and Mercedes' leasing rates tend to be quite competitive. The US will get other prices and equipment levels.
Mercedes had to admit to one shortcoming, though, Because of the car's weight they can't offer it in the B7 Guard version, the heavily armoured version for Presidents, heads of governments etc. etc. These poor folks will have to stick with the ICE S-Class for the time being. 😁
(BTW, is there any BEV that is heavily armoured, except for prototypes for military use like this hybrid: Geräuschlose Einsätze: Weltweit erster Elektro-Panzer kommt aus Deutschland ?)

(BTW, is there any BEV that is heavily armoured, except for prototypes for military use like this hybrid: Geräuschlose Einsätze: Weltweit erster Elektro-Panzer kommt aus Deutschland ?)
Off-topic, but Armormax has done ex factory armouring on a Model X, but up to B6.

More relevant pictures from a different ex factory armouring by Centur Security in Mexico:

And here a Model S:

Sounds quite interesting and overall very-well executed. But for those prices and at this stage of electric vehicle development, it should be. Presumably any competent vehicle manufacturer these days should be able to build an excellent electric vehicle for a target sales price of over US $100,000. What is more significant is a manufacturer that could offer a decent electric vehicle for less than US $30,0000.

Reactions: pilotSteve