Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the speculative nature of the article (lacking official details), I think the author did a good job of pondering what might be coming.

I wonder what (if any) quick charging it might offer.
Rav4EV had neither Tesla standard (supercharging), nor Toyota standard (CHAdeMO).
Could this new B-Class EV get a SAE style Combo-connector given Daimler's involvement with that effort?

There are photos of the car (which already is on sale in version ice) and the charger, I think is a SAE Combo.

Mercedes-Benz-B-Class-Electric-4%u002525255B3%25255D.jpg
Mercedes-Benz-B-Class-Electric-1%u002525255B3%25255D.jpg
Mercedes-Benz-B-Class-Electric-2%u002525255B3%25255D.jpg
Mercedes-Benz-B-Class-Electric-3%u002525255B3%25255D.jpg

It won't be SAE combo on a German car in Germany. But I think it isn't a combo.

The EVSE/Cable appears to be a variant of the Volt/Ampera one. It even has the same attached label, QR code sticker and orange button on the front. The spiral cable is different.

The prototype shown in Paris:
paris-2012-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-live-photos_17.jpg

(doesn't look the same as the black one in Germany...)

- - - Updated - - -

Some claim it will have quick charging capability.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/spyshots-mercedes-b-class-electric-drive-53647.html
...On a full charge, it will be good for about 200 kilometers (124 miles) and will be available with a fast-charging function that’s fills the battery to half-capacity in under an hour...

"Half capacity in under an hour"? What is that, like less than 20kW charging?

(Still don't know what plug though!)

If the battery is really 36 kWh, I expect this car to use about 36 kW from a type1 (North America) or type 2 (Europe) combo connector to recharge 0-50% in 30 min.

Most of the DC quick charging EVs use a 1C rate to get half capacity in 30 min. The second half takes longer since the battery cannot accept the faster rate without exceeding maximum cell voltages. The Spark EV provides half capacity in 20 min, which also fits the "half capacity in under an hour" description.

GSP

Mercedes unveils Tesla-powered electric car - Mar. 27, 2013

Mercedes-Benz has unveiled a new electric car developed in partnership with California-based Tesla Motors (TSLA). The car is a version of Mercedes' B-class hatchback which has not, until now, been available in the United States.

This car, the 2014 Mercedes B-class Electric Drive, will be available first in the states before reaching other markets, according to Mercedes-Benz. It will go on sale early next year, first in just a few states, but will become more widely available later on.
The Mercedes Electric Drive will have a "quick charge" feature that will give it a range of 60 miles after just a 2-hour charge, according to Mercedes. With a full charge, which will take about 7 hours, it should travel about 115 miles. A 134 horsepower electric motor, will let it accelerate from zero to 60 miles an hour in under 10 seconds.

Though not definitive, I've found various articles suggesting the car will go from a few states initially to available throughout U.S. We'll have to see, but I feel more optimistic this will be more than a compliance vehicle than I did yesterday.

I assume by "quick" they mean it has a 10kW charger, just like the base Model S or the Toyota RAV4. That is faster than most other EVs.

Yes, it seems quite obvious that it is the same 10kW charger in every Model S, Rav4 EV, and Supercharger station. It has no DC charging of any kind, apparently, even the much publicized but not to be seen Frankenplug.

It looks like that configuration of refueling door could certainly accept a CHAdeMO plug, of which there are 650 currently in Europe.

With the horrendously disappointing sales of the Rav4 (about 300 sold since Sept 24, 2012), I don't have much hope for any volume (which I think the i3 will find, also).

I just find it EXTREMELY hard to believe this is not s strict compliance car.

Last edited:
I just wonder why it has so poor performance?
mercedes-benz_100423507_l.jpg

It doesn't look horrible to me but the performance is a turn off, the Rav 4 ev should have the same battery and everyone loves its performance.
I just cant see why they ruined it.