Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you think the Model 3 structure is weaker than any other vehicle?
I guess because the battery pack might be an integral part of the structure to make the structure stronger than any other vehicle as witnessed by crash safety testing? I don't know, and I am just trying to learn more.
No way I'd be getting in underneath, getting a body part into anything like a pinch point. However I didn't notice anyone here talking about more than swapping/rotating tires. What kind of realistically owner serviceable things are under there?

P.S. Depending on the traffic rolling by and stability & width of the shoulder in question changing a tire roadside is not risk free. If it's the passenger side tire and the ground off the road is soft I'd be concerned about it shifting towards me in the ditch while I changed the tire.
I'm with you, I'm calling a Ranger, I don't care how long it takes for him to get there. The other alternative is a small compressor with goo. I read some bad things about that, like ruining your TPMS.

Last edited:
I really doubt the Model 3 chassis is so flexible that jacking a single jack point, even lifting two tires on one side off the ground, would overly stress the chassis. If it was, changing out a single flat tire would be a problem, as would crash safety and dynamic handling. Road tests to date indicate the Model 3 has excellent handing, a sign of a stiff chassis.

It seems you would be lifting the frame which needs to be strong enough not to bend 1 tire is 6" higher than the others. If the battery is attached to the frame, the battery won't bend either, so I can't see how any of this could harm the car.

Judging from the side crash video Elon showed us, seems like the frame is pretty solid.

Reactions: dgaultiere
I really doubt the Model 3 chassis is so flexible that jacking a single jack point, even lifting two tires on one side off the ground, would overly stress the chassis. If it was, changing out a single flat tire would be a problem, as would crash safety and dynamic handling. Road tests to date indicate the Model 3 has excellent handing, a sign of a stiff chassis.

Exactly. On any other car you can jack at one jack point and lift both front and rear tires off the ground. No need for jack stands or multiple jacks to rotate the tires from front to back. I'm sure the Model 3 chassis is stiff enough to be jacked at a single jack point.

No way I'd be getting in underneath, getting a body part into anything like a pinch point. However I didn't notice anyone here talking about more than swapping/rotating tires. What kind of realistically owner serviceable things are under there?

P.S. Depending on the traffic rolling by and stability & width of the shoulder in question changing a tire roadside is not risk free. If it's the passenger side tire and the ground off the road is soft I'd be concerned about it shifting towards me in the ditch while I changed the tire.
...and try it in snow, on a slope. But in a nice flat garage, I lift with the jack and then drop it onto stands, even just to swap or rotate a tire.
Just a self-protective habit.
Here's what happened to a very safety-conscious guy, with great equipment, tons of care, and very bad luck:
The joy of owning a mid-rise lift, part 2: The time it nearly killed me
Robin

...and try it in snow, on a slope. But in a nice flat garage, I lift with the jack and then drop it onto stands, even just to swap or rotate a tire.
Just a self-protective habit.
Here's what happened to a very safety-conscious guy, with great equipment, tons of care, and very bad luck:
The joy of owning a mid-rise lift, part 2: The time it nearly killed me
Definitely a good reminder to be extremely careful when working underneath cars. I have a mid-rise lift (Greg Smith Atlas) very similar to the one in the link but it has a spring loaded fail safe latch. I always double check the the latch is in place and lower it on to the latch when working underneath a car.
As far as rotating/swapping tires I don't put the car on jack stands. Just loosen the lugs before jacking it and don't put any part of your body underneath the car. If I'm feeling extra paranoid I slide a wheel underneath the car.

Reactions: SageBrush
It's absolutely got to be jackable. I'm not paying somebody to swap summer/winter tires and rotate them for me since I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself!
That's fine, do it the way you want, but don't blame Tesla when things go wrong.
Over in another thread about TPMSes, other owners say there's a way to plug holes in your tires without ruining your expensive TPMS module.
Yes, that is correct, but the plug repair kit takes more skill to use and if not done properly is not reliable. It is best done with the wheel off the car. Tesla suggests the use of sealant because it is easier to use for the uninitiated and can be done with the wheel on the car. You do know the difference, right? I worked my way through high school working part time in the afternoon at a service station where I worked countless hours plugging flats. What did you do after spending the day in school to pay for your personal expenses for gasoline, dates, and incidentals?

I'd way rather plug a tire than use some kinda goo even if it does not mess with the sensors. But it might be hard to plug the tire while on the vehicle, and especially hard or impossible with jacking up the car. It has to be jack-able or else everyone is going to be messing up their cars. The Volt is properly designed and does not have this problem:
Jacking points on Chevy Bolt - Chevy Bolt EV Forum

If you cannot put both a jack and a jackstand under the car this is a serious safety issue.

Other things you might service yourself are Shocks, brakes, and bushings.

I tend to get a flat tire about twice a year and this whole not having a spare things is still killing me. This just tops it off. Turns a regular quick roadside service into much more of an ordeal. Sure you can call a Ranger if you pay for that service, but what if it will take them hours to get to you? Or what if you in a location they cannot get to or service? Defiantly sounds like we will at least need to carry some kind of adapter in the car at a minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: SureValla
I'd way rather plug a tire than use some kinda goo even if it does not mess with the sensors. But it might be hard to plug the tire while on the vehicle, and especially hard or impossible with jacking up the car. It has to be jack-able or else everyone is going to be messing up their cars. The Volt is properly designed and does not have this problem:
Jacking points on Chevy Bolt - Chevy Bolt EV Forum

If you cannot put both a jack and a jackstand under the car this is a serious safety issue.

Other things you might service yourself are Shocks, brakes, and bushings.

I tend to get a flat tire about twice a year and this whole not having a spare things is still killing me. This just tops it off. Turns a regular quick roadside service into much more of an ordeal. Sure you can call a Ranger if you pay for that service, but what if it will take them hours to get to you? Or what if you in a location they cannot get to or service? Defiantly sounds like we will at least need to carry some kind of adapter in the car at a minimum.
There are solutions out there to this problem, combination jack/jackstand: About Us
Where are you driving? That's nuts. I've only gotten one flat in 23 years of driving and that was just a slow leak. It might be possible to mount a Mazda RX-8 spare donut on the top of the trunk (under the rear shelf). Same bolt pattern and close in diameter. There may be other options too. I would definitely carry a spare if I got that many flats!

Attachments

• RX8 Spare Tire Mounting Kit.jpg
    RX8 Spare Tire Mounting Kit.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 222
Is that typical of cars without spares?
Typical yes. My 2012 Mini had no spare but strangely has a jack and wrench. Later years did away with the tools also. I bought a temporary spare of correct diameter to take on trips to outlying areas.

I plan to look into a temporary spare for the Model 3 along with appropriate adapter and tools when the time comes. Too many remote areas around my town where lack of a spare will cause excessive delays.

S owner here. Most of this has been covered in the S section if you search for it. Most of us that worry carry a small compressor , scissors jack, correct socket wrench , torque wrench, goo and plugs along with assorted other tools. Don’t use the goo unless there is no other choice as the tire guys really hate to have to clean up the mess. Plugs usually can be used with wheel on the car and not jacked. Ok you may get dirty. They usually are permanent if you have kept fresh ones. There are videos on utube. Also we use hockey pucks on floor jacks. Simple, cheap and effective. If it is a slow leak, all you need is the compressor. I carry all that even though I have had one puncture in the last 30 years or so and I spend time on construction sites. Where I used to live, the most common sites to have a problem(after at home in the garage) were out of cell range. The 877number is useless then.

I use a high quality floor jack to lift each corner to swap wheels 1 at a time on my Model S. I am not at all concerned about somehow causing the pack to flex and damage it. Seriously, the amount of force/torque involved with this is nothing compared to rolling over an angled speed bump or entering a driveway apron at speed.

As for safety, hydraulic jack failure is always possible (but not common). Don't put your body parts under the vehicle and for extra insurance put an extra tire or some blocks in the unlikely event the jack fails in the short time you are swapping the wheel.

Last edited: