Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a little disappointing as I was wanting to get aftermarket wheels for the 3. Seeing this makes me very nervous bringing the car to a shop to swap them out. The place I was going to take the car to (once I got it) would put it on a lift. I guess I will wait till he does someone else's 3 (he has already spoken to several future owners about working on their cars) before I have him work on mine.

In order to lift the car with a floor jack, and support it with four jack stands, six jack points are required. Do the front and rear subframes have jack points for a floor jack?
I get what you are saying, one jack stand at the center front and one at the center rear for a total of six. Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to put the car on jack stands, since the jack stands should be placed at the very point you are using the floor jack. And it appears that you would need at least two floor jacks to lift the car evenly with four jack points, two floor jacks on each side of the car, so you don't tweak the battery pack. Any ideas?

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I get what you are saying, one jack stand at the center front and one at the center rear for a total of six. Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to put the car on jack stands, since the jack stands should be placed at the very point you are using the floor jack. And it appears that you would need at least two floor jacks to lift the car evenly with four jack points, two floor jacks on each side of the car, so you don't tweak the battery pack. Any ideas?

You need Jack Point compatible jack stands, like these: Home

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and T34ME
Since I will not be under the car when I swap tyres, I figure I can swap the front set followed by rear set using one hydraulic jack. I would only need front and rear jack points. If I'm feeling paranoid, I'll put a block under the rotor for the moments that a wheel is not on the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
Since I will not be under the car when I swap tyres, I figure I can swap the front set followed by rear set using one hydraulic jack. I would only need front and rear jack points.
And evidently, model 3 ( or MS/X) doesn't have those. What do people do?
Why would you buy four ?
Two would let you swap two tyres at a time.
Okay, $300 for two! But you would need two floor jacks on a side to lift the car evenly so that you won't tweak the battery pack.

My cousin, who is an MD, buys $600 surgical scissors from Germany (or I should say the taxpayer buys) to clip his finger nails at home. The ones you buy at the drug store for $1 work equally well.

Last edited:
Okay, $300 for two! But you would need two floor jacks on a side
Not the way I am imaging:

Jack up a point;
Put a stand;
Jack up a point;
Swap two tyres.

Rinse and repeat.

---
Now that I think about this, if the car does not have front and rear jack points I'll just use two hydraulic jacks to lift a side at a time.
All I need to buy is another jack and two adapters. I'm happy to not mess around with jack stands if I am not going underneath the car.

What do MS/X owners do if they switch summer/winter wheels at home?
There's plenty of space to use a conventional lift and place a rubber pad to match up with the jack point with the S & X...

IMHO, This is just another way for Tesla to create something that deters owners from doing their own maintenance. Oh well, I'm sure that someone will come up with a readily accessible adapter for it.

Reactions: BestHand

Jack up a point;
Put a stand;
Jack up a point;
Swap two tyres.

Rinse and repeat.

---
Now that I think about this, if the car does not have front and rear jack points I'll just use two hydraulic jacks to lift a side at a time.
All I need to buy is another jack and two adapters. I'm happy to not mess around with jack stands if I am not going underneath the car.

on my current car i jack up front driver side, replace with stand, jack up rear drive side, replace with stand, rotate tires. This way I'm not relying on a hydraulic jack for safety. The car will not fall through the jack stands. I then repeat on the passenger side

In the Model 3 it doesn't seem possible to replace the hydraulic jack with a jack stand and that worries me.

Reactions: BestHand and N5329K

Jack up a point;
Put a stand;
Jack up a point;
Swap two tyres.
There's plenty of space to use a conventional lift and place a rubber pad to match up with the jack point with the S & X...

IMHO, This is just another way for Tesla to create something that deters owners from doing their own maintenance. Oh well, I'm sure that someone will come up with a readily accessible adapter for it.

If you are jacking up one point at a time, aren't you tweaking the battery pack, three tires on the ground, one tire 6" in the air? That scenario makes me nervous.

I agree that Tesla would prefer that owners NOT be jacking up their cars at home on a high technology vehicle and I tend to agree with them.

• Informative
Reactions: SureValla
If you are jacking up one point at a time, aren't you tweaking the battery pack, three tires on the ground, one tire 6" in the air? That scenario makes me nervous.

I agree that Tesla would prefer that owners NOT be jacking up their cars at home on a high technology vehicle and I tend to agree with them.
Hope there's no need for an owner to change a flat if that's the case.

I haven't seen anyone report having problems when jacking up one point in an S/X to change a single tire out.

It's not like the battery is the only structure to the car. We have even seen people park a Model X such that pretty much only two diagonal tires were on the ground and the body didn't flex much if at all. (All the doors still opened/closed with no problem.)

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and T34ME
I haven't seen anyone report having problems when jacking up one point in an S/X to change a single tire out.

It's not like the battery is the only structure to the car. We have even seen people park a Model X such that pretty much only two diagonal tires were on the ground and the body didn't flex much if at all. (All the doors still opened/closed with no problem.)

I'd be rather concerned if this was an issue. These intentional jack points would be on the frame, so seems not unlike slow rolling up over a curb with one tire (w/o contacting anything other than the tires). If that's all it takes to twist the frame enough to tweak the battery....oh my.

Last edited:
Nope, not I, I'm calling a Ranger to do it right. For those DIY, I would think two piston jacks operated in concert would do the trick to raise evenly, but I am not coordinated enough to pull that off!
Changing a flat at roadside is one thing, but working on or under a car that's only up on hydraulic jacks is a borderline Darwinian move and a textbook bad idea.
Robin

Changing a flat at roadside is one thing, but working on or under a car that's only up on hydraulic jacks is a borderline Darwinian move and a textbook bad idea.
Robin
No way I'd be getting in underneath, getting a body part into anything like a pinch point. However I didn't notice anyone here talking about more than swapping/rotating tires. What kind of realistically owner serviceable things are under there?

P.S. Depending on the traffic rolling by and stability & width of the shoulder in question changing a tire roadside is not risk free. If it's the passenger side tire and the ground off the road is soft I'd be concerned about it shifting towards me in the ditch while I changed the tire.