Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What, all white interiors? :p

...so what was the outcome of the fun? how's the '21 etc..

The 2021 is a big upgrade over the 2018 in several ways. The cosmetics are of course more of a personal thing, but here's the most notable to me.
  • Battery Capacity on delivery was 80.3kWh, almost 3kWh more than my 2018's
  • Double-paned windows make a huge difference - cabin noise considerably less
  • Heat pump/car is wildly more efficient - 2018 with HVAC on (18" MXM4) consumed ~17% more, 2018 with HVAC off (19" Hankook evo3) consumed 2% more energy. Pirelli's appear to be much better on efficiency compared to PS4S
  • Power trunk is kind of stupid, but that's what customers wanted I guess
  • Feels like it has a little more power - will confirm soon
How are you moving anywhere on 3 cars now?

My wife is putting up with this very well, I also have a co-worker who finds this all very entertaining and assisted with moving the cars around lol

Can you please get draggy or whatever 1/8th-1/4th miles times? I know you have no interest in drag racing lol. I wonder how the 2021 model 3 compares.

Here's a run I got on Sunday - unfortunately the surface was extremely wet, it had been raining all day long - so I think there may be more on the table. The 1/8th mile is valid, but I had to slow down before I got a 1/4. There was standing water and I didn't want to crash the car the first day lol

Screenshot_20201221-203148_dragy.jpg
Screenshot_20201222-082859_dragy.jpg

My question is if you get a family of these things . . . do they start to reproduce?:D

I sure hope so - that would offset my cost nicely!

295 35 a052 fit on 18x10.5 with 10mm spacers on et25 wheels without fender rolling, but you need something like -2 camber or more to fit it inside front fenders. And 10mm spacers would need hub ring repeater, because no hub left at this point and wheels won't be stable without it. Certainly you also need longer studs. Like the one from my signature.

Is the offset printed on the wheel? Hard to imagine ET25 + 10mm spacers in the front would fit under stock fender.

Is the offset printed on the wheel? Hard to imagine ET25 + 10mm spacers in the front would fit under stock fender.
My wheels are in Germany now, so can't say 100% it's et25.

I also have et30 9.5 which fits ok with 5mm thicker rotor hat. It is ~7mm from the arm

10.5 is 25mm wider, so would be 12.5mm closer to the arm.
Et25 would be 7.5mm closer to the arm.
10mm spacer positions it 2.5 mm further from the arm.
So now outer edge is 27.5 mm closer to the fender edge.
I have more camber on 10.5, so top edge of the wheel with arm shifted more inside the fender.

Don't trust me on et25, I might find out later that it's actually different, but it doesn't sound wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: mcbarnet007
For those of you who have telemetry files and want to view them, or if you manually process them to change the timestamps to be cumulative for import to other tools like RaceRender I've done a bunch more work on my open source telemetry viewer, with helpful guidance from @Electric Dream - you can find it at adrianco/rs-tesla-telemetry - it writes "render" format if you want, includes a link to YouTube with managed offsets into the file so you can watch a particular corner and compare different laps etc. I've been having fun making this...
Plots.png

For those interested in going fast, I listed a set of rims and r comp rubbers on sale in the classified section that can out perform many of the mods people are putting on their car.
? RS3 are not R comps
RE71R & AO52 are a bit stickier for a 200TW too & 265 RE on a 8.5x19 fits quite nice .My choice for a 'street' setup

255 A7 Hoosiers are super fun but a bit small on the diameter - & they have more tread than any 265!

? RS3 are not R comps
RE71R & AO52 are a bit stickier for a 200TW too & 265 RE on a 8.5x19 fits quite nice .My choice for a 'street' setup

255 A7 Hoosiers are super fun but a bit small on the diameter - & they have more tread than any 265!

they are consider street r comps by many organization. They are faster than the Michelin’s that came on the car

I had the re71r and I have the 52s. I just have too many tires at home

? RS3 are not R comps

I wonder what wear on the AO52 is like on this car. With RE’s being discontinued I need a new AutoX tire. Considering the RT660 right now.

I wonder what wear on the AO52 is like on this car. With RE’s being discontinued I need a new AutoX tire. Considering the RT660 right now.

I'm also trying to decide between the A052 and the RT660. Seems like A052 is faster, but also wears quicker. I've heard a lot of people say that you need more than 2 degrees of negative camber to get any sort of life out of the A052.

Reactions: SK360
I'm also trying to decide between the A052 and the RT660. Seems like A052 is faster, but also wears quicker. I've heard a lot of people say that you need more than 2 degrees of negative camber to get any sort of life out of the A052.

I’m #noshimgang on the mpp corkscrew arms so that shouldn’t be a problem.... but most Yoks reviews I see are on much lighter cars so I’m scared :p

My REs have probably 3 events left on them and 2022 season I want to go to 19x10’s instead of these 18x8.5’s so I am torn between picking up leftover RE’s or trying something new for the rest of the season knowing I won’t be running them next year.

We never had access to RE71s in the UK so I'm also interested in opinions on what to run on a Model 3 for an autocross type event.
I do think the Model 3's weight and tendancy to wear the shoulders prematurely is a big factor in tyre choice.

Discontinued!!???
AO52 wore like crazy on my RWD S. This car eats wider RE71 at about the same rate. I'd expect AO52 not to last much at all. probably feel really nice at first

Yep. What stock is out there is it. No plans on a 200tw replacement right now from what I'm told.

I got ~11 AutoX events out of my 255/40/18 RE71R so far on stock suspension and maybe can get another 3. Now that I have front camber I'm hoping it's a little easier on tires moving forward.

Mine is a 2018 Model 3 Performance with about 29K miles.

I'm planning to do a HPDE at Grattan Raceway in Michigan in late April. I will Supercharge only at lunchtime, which will require ~2 hours including drive time. So, I'll probably get 3 20-minute sessions each day. I can run 1, 2 or 3 days - it's my call on that.

I'm not willing to completely demolish the OEM PS4 tires, meaning I'll stop running if I see they're about to chunk.

I'm getting stainless steel brake lines and will install new Castrol SRF fluid.

Those of you who have actually run on the track, do you think I can get by with the OEM brake pads given the above conditions?