Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does not make left turns on a yellow flashing turn signal. So the cars behind me honked for me to go. So I had to disengage.

I also disengaged when approaching a construction zone. The right lane was closed so I had to move over to the left lane. But there was already a lot of cars backed up in the left lane so I needed to squeeze in. I did not know if FSD Beta understands those big arrows that tell you to move over because the lane is closed…
I’m just getting the hang of things myself, but these seem like cases where you may be able to intervene rather than disengage by tapping the go pedal or initiating a lane change with the stalk.

Reactions: mhan00
I’m just getting the hang of things myself, but these seem like cases where you may be able to intervene rather than disengage by tapping the go pedal or initiating a lane change with the stalk.

In the case of turning on a yellow, it is possible that pressing the go pedal might work. I will try that next time.

In the case of merging into the left lane because of construction, yes, using the turn signal to initiate a lane change could work. Of course, the left lane was full so a car would need to let me in and FSD Beta might be hesitant to make the lane change. Maybe I am impatient, but I often prefer to do things myself when I know I can do the driving task competently but I don't know if FSD Beta can do the task competently.

I got 10.3.1 last night (my first Beta d/l). I've been on one 20-mile drive mostly along rural roads and one drive of 75% interstate and 25% rural of about 40 miles. To be honest I am really disappointed. I thought that it would at least be functional enough to be useful, but for me it is such a negative experience to drive under the beta that I'll be turning it off. I'm not ready to request that my software be rolled back to pre-beta until I see how 10.4 turns out.

What I experienced: The biggest letdown was phantom braking. Happens more than once per mile on rural roads, some so severe that the seat belt clamps engage. And one event on the interstate that very nearly got me rear-ended. I've lived through the phantom braking problem for2-1/2 years and experienced it get better & better over time, to the point where my wife doesn't complain if I turn on autopilot on the freeway. Even on rural roads autopilot was at the point where it was usable. Not today.

A very impressive moment last night where the car’s gps was off for some reason and thought I was a few blocks away from my actual position. Not too many people to worry about, so I let it go and it kept driving through the streets extremely well, even on sections where the actual street I was on had a completely different layout than the mapped area of where the GPS thought I was, so I presume it was using vision only to drive while actively ignoring the info coming from the GPS and Nav. Nav finally fixed itself after a minute or two, and the car followed the new routing data to my destination. Obviously not good that the GPS was off for so long, but that happens, and it was nice to see the car handle it well, albeit without many other drivers on the street to worry about.

A very impressive moment last night where the car’s gps was off for some reason and thought I was a few blocks away from my actual position. Not too many people to worry about, so I let it go and it kept driving through the streets extremely well, even on sections where the actual street I was on had a completely different layout than the mapped area of where the GPS thought I was, so I presume it was using vision only to drive while actively ignoring the info coming from the GPS and Nav. Nav finally fixed itself after a minute or two, and the car followed the new routing data to my destination. Obviously not good that the GPS was off for so long, but that happens, and it was nice to see the car handle it well, albeit without many other drivers on the street to worry about.
Interesting! Bad that GPS was off for a bit, but this shows how pure vision can adapt to new roads/situations without being overly reliant on precision mapping, etc. in advance. Scalable!

So I tried to press the accelerator to make FSD Beta make the turn on yellow and nothing. It did not work. So I did have to disengage.

So I tried to press the accelerator to make FSD Beta make the turn on yellow and nothing. It did not work. So I did have to disengage.
That is really, really weird. my car has ALWAYS moved forward when I hit the go pedal. Is obstacle aware accel on in your car? That’s the only thing I can think of that might be different than mine.

edit - or did you mean you only tapped the accelerator and the car didn’t move? For some turns where it’s hesitating I just press down on it like I’m driving and let the car handle the steering, and only let up on the go pedal after the turn is complete.

I don't know how big their (StatsTeslaAPp) fleet it but they are at 5% for 3&Y FSDBeta.

Related back and forth on what it represents:
A5Nsske.jpg

I am not aware of that driving rule. I always turn into the right lane at that intersection. It is a T intersection with a traffic light. Traffic is stopped. I don't see why you would need to turn into the left lane first.
In many states (Utah being one of them), it's the law that when you turn left, you enter the left most straight lane after completing the turn. One reason for this is so that opposing traffic that is turning right can turn into the lane next to you at the same time you're turning left.

My wife wasn't aware of this law and got a ticket for it around 25 years ago. It was the exact scenario described above... she was turning left and turned into the right most lane. She cut off an unmarked police car that was turning right. Cost her two weekends of traffic school.

Reactions: mxnym and jebinc
FSD Beta also did a weird thing of moving to the left lane to make a right turn. It moved over to the left lane as if to pass a car in front and then immediately moved over to the right lane again before making the right turn.
Yup, that was introduced with 10.3.1. It doesn't happen every time, thankfully, and it'll also doing it when turning left... moving waaaay over to the right (sometimes all the way to the shoulder) before swinging back over to the left turn lane.

Really got my attention the first time it did it, but fortunately there weren't any other cars around at the time.

Another weird thing today: I was going through a construction zone where it was left lane only. The right lane was blocked by cones. FSD Beta suddenly activated the turn signal and said "lane change" on the screen like it wanted to move over to the right lane. I cancelled the lane change of course to prevent the car from possibly driving into cones. Perhaps, it would not have actually done the lane change because of the cones. But it was still a bug to say that it wanted to do a lane change when the right lane is closed.

Has anyone noticed if FSD slow downs when taking a tight highway exit and/or on ramp during medium to heavy rain? Today I disengaged worried the high speed might cause the car to lose traction. Normal exits/on ramps are fine. I'm referring to sharp turns which FSD will need to address eventually. Cannot image using FSD the way it works now when there is snow on the road.

Reactions: impastu