Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any mention of which branch this is on? .36? .40? Any non FSD notes, like ANC, remote sentry mode, etc?
This was just a few posts earlier that 10.4 looks to be based on 2021.36.8:
Neat. Looks like FSD Beta 10.4 will likely get Sentry Mode Live Camera Access from 2021.36.8 branch (but not TIDAL nor S Active Road Noise Reduction from 2021.40 branch)
You can also see from the original source of 10.4 release notes screenshot that the left sidebar has cut off text for:
Sentry Mode Live Camera Access
Sentry Mode Improvements

That matches 2021.36.8 release notes:

Last edited:
On 14th St crossing Peachtree St (blue Arrow) it is a little bit of a down hill on the other side (limited visibility) … Right after that there is an intersection and you must also angle to the right (Red Arrow) View attachment 729987
I'm not surprised at FSD Beta 10.3.1's confusion as I've tested many "odd" intersections around here, and while it can get many of them, it tends to get confused by large / angled / shifted ones. The red arrow you've drawn is nearly 200 feet / 60 meters, which is the extent of the fisheye wide camera. FSD Beta goes through smaller shifted intersections fine around here, but those are much smaller at 50 feet.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I had a interesting FSD Beta behavior yesterday.

There was a jogger very close to the right line - but an oncoming vehicle on the other side of a 2-lane marked neighborhood road. FSD slowed down and waited for the oncoming car to pass before crossing the yellow median to go past the jogger.

Looks like they have spent a lot of time to figure out how to handle such situations - which (road sharing) a lot of people assumed would be the toughest case. But some simple cases like a simple right turn or navigating an empty roundabout seems or even going on the right side of an unmarked road consistently seems to not work properly.

ps : But wanted to overtake a long lines of car waiting behind a school bus, by going in the opposite lane ;)
I just had a similar thing. There was an oncoming big truck and a cyclist in the bike lane on my side, so a tight space for me and Wattney. If I were driving I would have slowed a bit and threaded through. FSD chose to stop until the truck cleared, and then resumed, cheating slightly away from the bike, but not so much that it crossed the center line. So it wasn't human-like, but it erred on the side of caution.

cheating slightly away from the bike, but not so much that it crossed the center line. So it wasn't human-like, but it erred on the side of caution.
They probably have a minimum distance they want to maintain. Hopefully they have tested and measured those to be good in real life.

Out of caution - and more to the point, etiquette, here we tend to give very large clearance for bikes/pedestrians. In my case when the jogger was right at the edge of the right lane, I'd have gone probably half into the left lane giving the jogger half a lane of clearance. FSD probably gave 1/4 lane.

Do we know what number they are down to — have 99, 98 or 97 scores gotten the updates or do you need to game all the way to 100?! Reset and had 100 when some jerk pulled out in front of me then started to turn on to a side street and stopped half way into his turn triggering a ECW even though I was like half a block away :mad: — down to a 97.
I was invited yesterday at 99.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
Just back from my first FSD outing (36.5.3 arrived yesterday). Having lurked on this thread, I didn't expect perfection, and indeed had several disengagements. Cool--that's beta.

The one I found most worrisome that I haven't seen mentioned was this. We came to a four-way stop. The car said it was pausing waiting for our turn. All good. Other cars cleared, and it started to go. What it failed to consider was just at that point a pedestrian and her dog were entering the crosswalk right in front of us. She was very visible and was continuing on the same vector she'd been on on the sidewalk, so also very predictable. It was an FSD move most people would consider rude. Of course, I tapped the brake and let her cross before resuming.

I have 10.3 ( 2021.36.5.3). When 10.4 is released, would that be pushed to us automatically? or is it only for new downloads?
Once you are in the beta, you will receive updates as they are released to the beta testing fleet. According to Elon, they are now going to "stagger" these releases going forward, rather than just pushing it to everyone at once. This means you might have to wait anywhere from a few hours to maybe even a couple of days (Elon hasn't specified how long it'll take to stagger the release to everyone).

Let's walk through a scenario...

Let's say that the current version out for testing to the beta testing fleet is version 20.1. People that are added to the beta testing fleet will get the current version: 20.1.

When version 20.2 is released, everyone will get the new version automatically pushed to them, in a "staggered" release over time. Any newly added beta testers will then receive this version.

Summary: Everyone is on the same version (yes, I know there are exceptions, but let's keep this simple), whether you are newly added or not. Every beta tester automatically receives updates as they are released, staggered out over an unknown period of time.

Just back from my first FSD outing (36.5.3 arrived yesterday). Having lurked on this thread, I didn't expect perfection, and indeed had several disengagements. Cool--that's beta.

The one I found most worrisome that I haven't seen mentioned was this. We came to a four-way stop. The car said it was pausing waiting for our turn. All good. Other cars cleared, and it started to go. What it failed to consider was just at that point a pedestrian and her dog were entering the crosswalk right in front of us. She was very visible and was continuing on the same vector she'd been on on the sidewalk, so also very predictable. It was an FSD move most people would consider rude. Of course, I tapped the brake and let her cross before resuming.
Normally the beta will stop in the middle of the intersection in these situations. If the car just started to cross, it stops if a pedestrian approaches the crosswalk and looks like they’re about to go. Wish we had a screen in front of us so we could see the intentions of the car without looking to the side - usually you’ll see the color dots in front of the car turn gray in these cases

Normally the beta will stop in the middle of the intersection in these situations. If the car just started to cross, it stops if a pedestrian approaches the crosswalk and looks like they’re about to go. Wish we had a screen in front of us so we could see the intentions of the car without looking to the side - usually you’ll see the color dots in front of the car turn gray in these cases
This is the reason I finally got a GoPro and started recording. We don't have the time to check the visualization at intersections.

Still cannot tell why it keeps stopping at this intersection:
View attachment 729482
Green light, with or without a lead car, FSD beta just pulls up to the line and stops. I paid close attention to the screen and there is no stop sign or anything unusual visualized. Maybe hard to see traffic lights? Though I vaguely recall seeing them visualized just fine. There's always too much traffic around to see whether beta will treat it as a stop sign or sit forever but if the conditions line up I'll give it a go.
Mystifying. The blue car to the right is irrelevant since the behavior is the same with or without cars on that cross street
A0B9C748-6E66-418B-8ED3-4A04E0E4A86F.jpeg

I posted this in another smaller thread, but wanted to see if anyone else is seeing this behaviour. Let me know if it isn't clear.

One MUST have their hands on the wheel at all times, ready to take over in an instant when FSD decides for whatever reason to DIS-ENGAGE steering control and hand it back to the driver. I have two locations where after either making the beginning of a turn or simply turning IN A curve at speed 25-30 miles per hour, FSD steering control will disengage and if my hands aren't on the wheel at the time the car would just drive into the side of the curbed curve or off the road at speed. IMO this is a totally unacceptable result but if I only had one hand loosely on the wheel and wasn't ready for this type of crazy return of control to the driver with no advance warning, could prove catestrophic.

I should add, I can reproduce this behavior in the same curve each time, this is three times now. It's so predictable that my frequent passenger now reminds me (as If i would forget about it) as we come up to this curve and I tell her I'm just trying to test if it's learned anything, if it's interpreting the data differently because of TOD or other vehicles, but sure enough it disengages and I have to instantly take control to keep it curving on the road. Sad.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I posted this in another smaller thread, but wanted to see if anyone else is seeing this behaviour. Let me know if it isn't clear.

One MUST have their hands on the wheel at all times, ready to take over in an instant when FSD decides for whatever reason to DIS-ENGAGE steering control and hand it back to the driver. I have two locations where after either making the beginning of a turn or simply turning IN A curve at speed 25-30 miles per hour, FSD steering control will disengage and if my hands aren't on the wheel at the time the car would just drive into the side of the curbed curve or off the road at speed. IMO this is a totally unacceptable result but if I only had one hand loosely on the wheel and wasn't ready for this type of crazy return of control to the driver with no advance warning, could prove catestrophic.

I should add, I can reproduce this behavior in the same curve each time, this is three times now. It's so predictable that my frequent passenger now reminds me (as If i would forget about it) as we come up to this curve and I tell her I'm just trying to test if it's learned anything, if it's interpreting the data differently because of TOD or other vehicles, but sure enough it disengages and I have to instantly take control to keep it curving on the road. Sad.
What was Einstein's definition of insanity? o_O

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: mxnym
One thing important to note here is the improvements quantified.

We are looking at just
- 1.5% improvement in static objects
- 1.1% improvement in VRU control relevance
- 5.8% emergence vehicle detection

Over one release these improvements are so small, we won't notice them. But over 6 months of continued small improvements these become important.

They do have a large improvement (35%) in VRU detection. So, we should see better pedestrian / bike detection.