Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance Service Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should also be mentioned that the annual service is optional. It does not effect the warranty.

Our car is at 14.5K miles. The service center said that we can skip the 12.5K and just do it at 25K miles. Tires were fine and didn't need rotation.

There are a number of owners who have swapped model S's (or plan to swap for the X) under 25K miles, so maintenance cost is essentially zero.

Or another way to look at it, $600 every 2 years is quite reasonable. No need to prepay for service. Better off buying TSLA with that money. ;)

In regards to your #2 above the "infinite mile/8year warranty is currently ONLY for the battery pack and drive unit. The standard bumper to bumper is 50k/ 4 years or you can also buy the extended warranty that goes 100k/8 years

im a high mileage driver and drove 27,000 miles in my first year of ownership and am currently at 48,000 miles at month 18. I had my annual done at 1 year but have to say that I've had more done at general service visits. Their purpose of the annual is to catch something before it goes wrong. If you need new brakes or rotors that's covered as well as wipers. Each of the 12,500 mile "check ups" has its own checklist with the more miles you have on the car the more things they actually do.

The prepaid plan is more useful for low mileage drivers.

Rotors not covered. If they replaced for free, you got a hookup.

The MS is an extremely complex car with all sorts of new and unique technology, so I don't think any comparisons to ICE vehicles makes sense.

Its really not. The Model S is not magical or anything, and its significantly less complicated than an ICE vehicle. Its got a bunch of 'computers', sure but probably less so than a S-class. Most of the things that I've needed to have work done on my last few vehicles (AC, Windows, Locks, brakes) are very much the same on the Model S

I would love the service plan, most likely the 8 visit one, but the stated mileage on the contract is very specific. I put around 35-40k miles a year on my commuter car. In less than 3 years I would have passed the mark and only used 3 visits. I would gladly use the 8 visit package if it could be used once a year with no mileage limits.

I would love the service plan, most likely the 8 visit one, but the stated mileage on the contract is very specific. I put around 35-40k miles a year on my commuter car. In less than 3 years I would have passed the mark and only used 3 visits. I would gladly use the 8 visit package if it could be used once a year with no mileage limits.

I have an email from the VP of Sales & Service stating that the mileage restriction has been lifted and that owners can use their 4 pre-paid service visits any time they wish during their ownership period. It doesn't even have to be annual. While this is contrary to the written pre-paid service contract, I take the email from Jerome as an amendment to the contract terms. I'm due for my annual now, based on mileage, and my service center told me to bring it in whenever I wanted to. I'm going to wait until after my road trip to San Diego in August, as I'm sure I'll hit some potholes in California and will be badly in need of the alignment that is included.

I have an email from the VP of Sales & Service stating that the mileage restriction has been lifted and that owners can use their 4 pre-paid service visits any time they wish during their ownership period. It doesn't even have to be annual. While this is contrary to the written pre-paid service contract, I take the email from Jerome as an amendment to the contract terms. I'm due for my annual now, based on mileage, and my service center told me to bring it in whenever I wanted to. I'm going to wait until after my road trip to San Diego in August, as I'm sure I'll hit some potholes in California and will be badly in need of the alignment that is included.

I would certainly purchase the 8 visits if that limitation was actually on the web site. The unlimited drivetrain / battery warranty was changed to reflect that on the site. I'll check with my DS and see if there is something they have that is different than the contract you actually agree to says 100k.

I would certainly purchase the 8 visits if that limitation was actually on the web site. The unlimited drivetrain / battery warranty was changed to reflect that on the site. I'll check with my DS and see if there is something they have that is different than the contract you actually agree to says 100k.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying above. The pre-paid service contract has nothing to do with 100,000 miles. Pre-paid service states that service must be performed either annually or every 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first. That contract was later amended by the SVP of Sales and Service by telling owners, as well as service centers, that the mileage and time restrictions were removed. You can use your visits whenever you wish, just like those who don't pre-pay and can have their service whenever they want. Every year, every two years, or every 50,000 miles instead of every 12,500 miles. It's totally up to the owner.

The above change by Tesla's SVP is not reflected on the Tesla web site or in the pre-paid service contract.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying above. The pre-paid service contract has nothing to do with 100,000 miles. Pre-paid service states that service must be performed either annually or every 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first. That contract was later amended by the SVP of Sales and Service by telling owners, as well as service centers, that the mileage and time restrictions were removed. You can use your visits whenever you wish, just like those who don't pre-pay and can have their service whenever they want. Every year, every two years, or every 50,000 miles instead of every 12,500 miles. It's totally up to the owner.

The above change by Tesla's SVP is not reflected on the Tesla web site or in the pre-paid service contract.

It is very straight forward:
4-YEAR PLAN + 4-YEAR EXTENSION
Tesla Service for eight years
Up to 100,000 miles

I would purchase if I could take my car in once a year regardless of my miles. The Agreement you sign and agree to clearly says UP TO 100,000 miles My 17 month old C-Max has 60,400 miles on it so a 100,000 mile limitation will not work. I guess I am one of those cases that should just pay $600 annually and take it in once a year with no service plan.

It is very straight forward:
4-YEAR PLAN + 4-YEAR EXTENSION
Tesla Service for eight years
Up to 100,000 miles

I would purchase if I could take my car in once a year regardless of my miles. The Agreement you sign and agree to clearly says UP TO 100,000 miles My 17 month old C-Max has 60,400 miles on it so a 100,000 mile limitation will not work. I guess I am one of those cases that should just pay $600 annually and take it in once a year with no service plan.

I'm not sure if you are understanding... There is no longer a mileage or time interval restriction. The time interval you are quoting is based upon the language in the pre-paid service contract stating a 12,500 mile service interval. 12,500 miles x 8 years = 100,000 miles. My email from Jerome Guillen, Senior VP of Sales & Service, states that this is no longer the case. Make your decision on whatever metric makes you the most comfortable.

Here is the email (emphasis mine):

Dear Mr. [AmpedRealtor]:

Any customer who has paid for a 4-year service plan is entitled to 4 “annual service” visits. The customer can elect to bring the car whenever they desire: we recommend every year or every 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), but the customer are free to do whatever they essentially desire. They can bring the car every 18 months or every 6 months. In the end, they will receive the 4 “annual service” they have paid for. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Many thanks for your continued support. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen | VP, WW sales and service | 45500 Fremont boulevard, Fremont CA 94538

I'm not sure if you are understanding... There is no longer a mileage or time interval restriction. The time interval you are quoting is based upon the language in the pre-paid service contract stating a 12,500 mile service interval. 12,500 miles x 8 years = 100,000 miles. My email from Jerome Guillen, Senior VP of Sales & Service, states that this is no longer the case. Make your decision on whatever metric makes you the most comfortable.

Here is the email (emphasis mine):

Dear Mr. [AmpedRealtor]:

Any customer who has paid for a 4-year service plan is entitled to 4 “annual service” visits. The customer can elect to bring the car whenever they desire: we recommend every year or every 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), but the customer are free to do whatever they essentially desire. They can bring the car every 18 months or every 6 months. In the end, they will receive the 4 “annual service” they have paid for. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Many thanks for your continued support. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen | VP, WW sales and service | 45500 Fremont boulevard, Fremont CA 94538

Then why haven't they updated the my.teslamotors.com web site to reflect that? I am understanding completely. Why two different stories for the same agreement?

I have 75k on my car, lots of general visits and lots of maintenance updates., but no formal annual services.. Came in for tpms issue and asked about routine maintenance since extended warranty expires in 25k. I was told that I it is $600 for every 12.5 miles..thus my bill for service would be 600 X 5 for the ones I missed and 600 for this one... What a rip off! I complained about the fairness of this approach, and they agreed to charge 1200 total. Still a rip off but I wanted to get it done. I liked the small Tesla company back in 2012 much better than today's company.

Anyone else been told similarly?

It seems that for 1200 they changed the battery coolant, aligned the tires, and inspected a lot of stuff... Too expensive if you ask me.

I have 75k on my car, lots of general visits and lots of maintenance updates., but no formal annual services.. Came in for tpms issue and asked about routine maintenance since extended warranty expires in 25k. I was told that I it is $600 for every 12.5 miles..thus my bill for service would be 600 X 5 for the ones I missed and 600 for this one... What a rip off! I complained about the fairness of this approach, and they agreed to charge 1200 total. Still a rip off but I wanted to get it done. I liked the small Tesla company back in 2012 much better than today's company.

It seems that for 1200 they changed the battery coolant, aligned the tires, and inspected a lot of stuff... Too expensive if you ask me.

$600 per 12.5 miles skipped sounds crazy. But it can't be $600 after 75k miles, since it includes everything except the tires and battery. At 75K there could be a accumulation of parts and fluids that need replacing.

Maybe they need an option that just charges for the work done, instead of a "$600 covers everything needed" service plan.

$600 per 12.5 miles skipped sounds crazy. But it can't be $600 after 75k miles, since it includes everything except the tires and battery. At 75K there could be a accumulation of parts and fluids that need replacing.

Maybe they need an option that just charges for the work done, instead of a "$600 covers everything needed" service plan.

Agree, I don't understand the first part. They wanted to charge you for visits you never made? Crazy is an understatement. I must have missed something in the translation.

I have 75k on my car, lots of general visits and lots of maintenance updates., but no formal annual services.. Came in for tpms issue and asked about routine maintenance since extended warranty expires in 25k. I was told that I it is $600 for every 12.5 miles..thus my bill for service would be 600 X 5 for the ones I missed and 600 for this one...

Given what they've told us, the annual visits are at our option, and the pre-paid service is simply a $125/each discount for pre-payment (although it used to include other things like "hardware upgrades", but that's a different thread..)..

Anyway, the annual inspections also aren't required for the warranty. So I have no idea what they're charging you for retroactively? Can you elaborate what this $1200 charge actually was for and why?

I would refer them to Jerome's email and let them know that what they have done is contrary to Tesla policy per their own Senior VP who is their boss. I would escalate to the regional manager, and if you did pay for service visits that you did not receive, I would demand a refund. What a crock!