Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA EV incentive program online; Model S explicitly listed as covered.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife picked up her car on Saturday and we've been approved...just waiting for the check...

Congratulations!

My wife got her EV about a month ago (sadly, it was not a Tesla, but we are both looking forward to the Model III to fix that)
We submitted and got approved for the MA rebate too and just a heads up - it might be awhile before you get a check. I think they just started paying out the claims recently.

I was looking at the program status, so I thought I'd update the thread. As of today, $808,500 in rebates have been issued, and additional $389,000 is reserved. That leaves $662,500 remaining (36% of the original $1.86M) after 6 months of the program.

At that burn rate, that leaves a little more than 3 months of funding left.

Funding | MOR-EV

MA had a 46.1 billion budget last year, in its General Fund. Let's see, the cost .0018 billion (or 1.8mm program) versus the political optics of giving away $2,500 checks for green cars? I believe this money comes from RGGI (regional greenhouse gas initiative) . Christie had success pulling NJ out. If Baker has any national R-aspirations, it is probably game over.

I was looking at the program status, so I thought I'd update the thread. As of today, $808,500 in rebates have been issued, and additional $389,000 is reserved. That leaves $662,500 remaining (36% of the original $1.86M) after 6 months of the program.

At that burn rate, that leaves a little more than 3 months of funding left.

Funding | MOR-EV

$412k left. At this rate, and even assuming December was artificially high, it's going to be gone sometime in March. I'm super bummed because our delivery just got pushed back until April. I can deal with waiting a month, but missing out on the $2,500 really hurts, and we already confirmed our order banking on the credit so the deposit is nonrefundable.

I called our sales associate in Natick to see if we could buy the car before delivery to get the credit, but he advised me that that's legally prohibited. He said he would call corporate to see if anything can be done, which I appreciate, but I'm not very optimistic given the recent part sourcing rumors.

Has anybody heard any news about whether MOR-EV will be issued more funding?

$412k left. At this rate, and even assuming December was artificially high, it's going to be gone sometime in March. I'm super bummed because our delivery just got pushed back until April. I can deal with waiting a month, but missing out on the $2,500 really hurts, and we already confirmed our order banking on the credit so the deposit is nonrefundable.

I called our sales associate in Natick to see if we could buy the car before delivery to get the credit, but he advised me that that's legally prohibited. He said he would call corporate to see if anything can be done, which I appreciate, but I'm not very optimistic given the recent part sourcing rumors.

Has anybody heard any news about whether MOR-EV will be issued more funding?
I would urge you to escalate this issue in Tesla. Tesla should be able to rearrange delivery sequences to help owners this way. I'm pretty sure that I got my car out-of-sequence because I had flagged to them that it was going to screw up my tax planning to take delivery in January vs. December.

I would urge you to escalate this issue in Tesla. Tesla should be able to rearrange delivery sequences to help owners this way. I'm pretty sure that I got my car out-of-sequence because I had flagged to them that it was going to screw up my tax planning to take delivery in January vs. December.

Will do. Any thoughts on whom should I talk to other than the sales associate? Someone in the Watertown office?

Up. I'd start with Will Nicholas, the Northeast Regional Sales Manager. wnicholas (at) teslamotors.com
I've also started working this issue up through channels at Fremont, but let's keep up a parallel effort.
Issue is noted and logged with Tesla management. While I can't promise results, at least they now know of the issue. Thanks for raising it, @robby.

Thanks Robert.Boston. I emailed Will earlier at your suggestion. I appreciate your passing along the info. I hate to pester people but Tesla is still advertising the MA credit on its web site and I imagine like me, others were including it in their financials.

Thanks Robert.Boston. I emailed Will earlier at your suggestion. I appreciate your passing along the info. I hate to pester people but Tesla is still advertising the MA credit on its web site and I imagine like me, others were including it in their financials.

The other end of the candle is to write your state representative, and tell them to continue the RGGI funding of the MOR-EV program. I couldn't find whether funds are allocated forward of the ~400k that is left, but the program has reinvested over 700mm in the northeast.

The NH legislature is having a hearing, on pulling out of RGGI, Thursday, 1/22. I'll post a thread on that.

Up. I'd start with Will Nicholas, the Northeast Regional Sales Manager. wnicholas (at) teslamotors.com
I've also started working this issue up through channels at Fremont, but let's keep up a parallel effort.

Update: I got a call from my DS today. He'd spoken to the Natick and Northeast Regional Sales offices and was aware of the MOR-EV issue. Unfortunately he did not expect Tesla to be able to expedite delivery. He said that based on their learnings from the P thus far and the S being a separate configuration, they don't think they'll be able to get it off the line fast enough so they don't plan to rearrange the delivery sequence. In hindsight I am a little confused because I see some folks in the delivery thread still seem to have late February delivery estimates, but maybe there are regional or shipping logistics at play, too. His unofficially estimate was that I will get my S85D the weekend of April 17.

I should add that he was very understanding about the financial impact, and he said if the credit is not renewed, or if for any other reason I can't get it when delivery is available, Tesla will give us the option to take our money back even though we'd be well past the refundable deposit period. Obviously I would rather have the car, but seeing as MOR-EV was part of why we gave up waiting for the X to get the S, it's nice to know that option is available in the worst case.

I've heard back that Tesla is going to make efforts to accelerate some MA deliveries because of this funding issue. No promises that yours, @robby, was among them.

I'd encourage all MA readers to write to public officials seeking a continuation of funding. That's the long-term solution to the challenge of getting more people driving electric in the commonwealth.

Good news everyone! Just got a call from my DS that they got word that MOR-EV has been renewed with another 1.25M in funding. Tesla had been gracious enough to move our delivery up to match our originally shown late March estimate, so we were not affected, but this is fantastic news for those of you who have placed orders in the last few months and had April/May+ delivery estimates. Your car just got $2,500 cheaper!

Good news everyone! Just got a call from my DS that they got word that MOR-EV has been renewed with another 1.25M in funding. Tesla had been gracious enough to move our delivery up to match our originally shown late March estimate, so we were not affected, but this is fantastic news for those of you who have placed orders in the last few months and had April/May+ delivery estimates. Your car just got $2,500 cheaper!

Sweet, and with a big budget deficit and all...

I hope you're right but can't find any public confirmation of this. Do you have any confirmation other than the Tesla DS?

I wrote to the Massachusetts DOER which is the sponsor for MOR-EV and got this reply:

Thank you for your email and interest in the Massachusetts Offers Rebates for Electric Vehicles (MOR-EV) program. We anticipate that year one funding will run out sometime around mid-April and year two funding for MOR-EV is expected to be approved by the end of March 2015 in the amount of $1.86 million. Massachusetts is dedicated to continue offering MOR-EV rebates for an additional year and we do not anticipate the need to implement a waitlist between years one and two.

So it does look very likely that the program will continue - GREAT!