Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 to MY upgrade advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Big plus was def more room all round for front and rear passengers, between two car seats in rear and also in boot and frunk. We would really appreciate that extra space as we camp a couple of times a year and fitting everything in even with a roof box is pretty tight even now.
I've just returned from a 2 week canal trip, using the Model Y fully loaded with luggage/pillows/food/drink & four adults. Removing the under-boot base creates a much deeper space with one large holdall in the recess underneath all the other luggage & removal of the other base forward of that gives another 3-4" of overall depth (additionally, the fabric covered bases themselves are also quite thick). The deeper Model Y frunk (vs Model 3) also took three large fully loaded shopping bags plus several coats.

We chose the Model Y over my Sister-in-Law's BMW X5 as it has more versatile load space. Overall, 187miles mostly M6/M5 averaged 268 Wh/m - quite impressive for such a heavily loaded car.

Is that the one way distance of the trip? or is that what you got for a full charge before plug in?
No, I charged before I set off & that was the average showing on screen after I got home. The return journey helped that average as the weight was reduced because all the food/booze had been consumed (tyre pressure 3 psi lower, similar temperature)

No charging needed during the journey & the car lost 2% SOC over the 2 weeks while parked (app only opened once on day two when I realised my wife had left house keys/key card in the car so I phoned & opened/closed the boot remotely to allow a friend at the marina to retrieve & keep).

Reactions: spdpsba
We did the same last autumn, but settled on a wide-beam boat with a diesel engine and bow thrusters. I was concerned about charging the Tesla at the various moorings. Also that they don’t float.
I've used the UK canals most years since 1975 (& a lock keeper since retirement as well as part of the Historic Boat Collection team at the National Waterways Museum). Never helmed a wide beam, just narrows from early 20thC to now, both powered & butties.

Reactions: thax1
been talking to Tesla about what deals they do if you buy used from them (or pre-owned as they like to call them). Apart from the fact that they've checked the car within an inch of its life, you get an extra year of warranty/roadside and FSD as standard if you buy a pre-owned from a Tesla SC.

I have never read posts so full of rubbish as this one mostly from posters that may have test driven a Y but have not owned both.
There is a good reason why the Model Y is the best selling car....because it is a real car!
I have owned 3 model 3s and 2 Model Ys. There is no comparison between the 3 and the Y.
The 3 is a boy racer and very uncomfortable. The Y is a proper family car. Do not concentrate on what bells and whistles one or the other have.
At the moment you should find a second hand Model Y.
I suspect you will find one considerably cheaper than £40k in perfect condition.
Mine is 12 months old YLR with 3500 miles and Tesla quoted me £33k as a Trade in. WBAC currently offer me £36.5k.
Today I would buy a second hand under 12 months old. They are a bargain, still the best EVs for the price.
Your opinion.
My experience of 11000 miles in a MY since December is its the most uncomfortable car for long journeys i've owned and any positives are massively out weighed by the constant issues with ACC, Wipers and build quality / Service experience. The counter to that is the supercharger network is still a wonderful experience compared to other options. I would have hated to complete my recent drive to Italy and back using other chargers, but equally would have happily avoided the constant fight with ACC and wipers, and the poor comfort.

Everyone's opinions are different, and unfortunately based on the comments on this forum there appears to be a lack of consistence between vehicles. i suspect I would have found any MY uncomfortable over long distance, but others seem not to have experienced the quality and tech issues I have.

If you are happy with the 3 then stick with it, unless you do lots of long journeys then maybe consider a roof box for the odd time you want more space.

already have the roof box (Motion XL) ... we want MORE space!
I've just upgraded to the Y after 3 years with the 3.

Here's my plusses and negatives - it's just my opinion though

1. Getting in and out - Y is so much better, as someone who has bad knees it's great also don't need to use easy entry mode on the Y.
2. Driving position - when in the 3 you are down closer to the floor, the footwell seems shallow - in the Y my legs don't dangle per say but are at a much more comfortable position and the mild discomfort after a long drive at the back of my thigh has cleared up.
3. Rear view - whilst the 3 wasn't great the Y's rear view is TINY, thank god the cameras are good for rear view.
4. Ultrasonic sensors/Teslavision - yes it's been hashed out everywhere and I thought it wouldn't be so bad, gut going from a 3 with sensors to a Y without it's not great, AP tends not to hold the line on the road as well - that might just be me thinking it! Oh and after 24 hours of having the Y, very mild scrape against another car (badly parked) but I'd have known in the 3 as the scrape is in almost the exact position as one of the sensors.
5. Parcel shelf - whilst it's great to have (sorry early order Y people!!) it's ... just ... weird, it has folds to slow to move it out of the way but it just gets in the way and you have to hold it in the open position.
6. Heat pump/steering wheel heater - Going from the old school heater in the 3 (mine was pre facelift but with the new style frunk) to a heat pump and heated steering wheel (damn that gets hot) it's nice and doesn't seem to sap as much battery as the old one - but we'll see in the next few months!!
7. General range - I though it would be worse than my 3but it's pretty much even and frequently better than my 3, there may be factors (new cells/heatpump etc) to that but that's what I've seen.

All in all it's a mixed bag, yes I'm happy with the Y overall with some minor bugbears and I did love my 3.

Have a sit in it, get a longer test drive (if you can), try parking and if possible AP. Personally I'm happy I went for the Y - TBH it was what I wanted originally but at the time my lease was up only the 3 was available.

• Informative
Reactions: kuruma