Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Hi, just a quick question which I forgot to ask on testdrive and can't see on the website. I assume they are LED but are they 'smart' like the upgraded ones on my E Class that look around corners and dim where other cars are at night etc?

Just be aware that some of the Tesla auto features, auto wipers, auto headlights etc are 'beta' and sounds like they don't work as well as we are use to on even fairly old European cars. Tesla try and do quite a bit with AI and their cameras instead of using dedicated sensors like everyone else has done for years - its not always up to what we are use to.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and m3gt2
I’ve not had much night driving but the lights do come on automatically at night. Beams dip well when I used it and was better than my Audi. The MX does have side lighting assistance when steering left/right to illuminate obstacles you might not see when manoeuvring at low speed. Can’t comment on the M3.

Wipers on the other hand have been “ok” and could go a little faster to clear the screen but as VanillaUK said trust the FSD ;)

Reactions: m3gt2
So I gather that the auto headlights, when on high beam, will switch to low beam when a car is approaching? In my A6 when the camera detects a car in front it will switch off individual diodes pointing at the car but the rest of the diodes remain on, meaning that the lights remain on high beam apart from around the approaching car. Is this not the case with the M3?

Come on. The M3 is not as high tech as an Audi A6.

Really? I’ve been told many times on this forum that no other manufacturer comes close to Tesla in terms of tech and innovation. Here’s another example of it not always being true. Apparently even the auto wipers are hit and miss, and that tech has been around forever.

I’m not complaining though. My A6 doesn’t have fart mode, and I know that’s just going to change my life :p

Reactions: MrBadger
So I gather that the auto headlights, when on high beam, will switch to low beam when a car is approaching? In my A6 when the camera detects a car in front it will switch off individual diodes pointing at the car but the rest of the diodes remain on, meaning that the lights remain on high beam apart from around the approaching car. Is this not the case with the M3?
If this is the matrix lighting, then no, Tesla doesn’t have this technology. As far as I can make out the lights are standard LED lights with automatic dimming.

We have daytime running lights which are more than enough for most daytime conditions so would like to think they would not impose headlights on us as well.

Daytime running lights don't light up the rear end of your car in the US and many other places. Driving in rain and road spray without the back of the car illuminated is dangerous. I'd love four corner DRLs like the Scandinavians use, but I highly doubt that will happen.