Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Charge Connector Stuck (Frozen)? Spent 2 hours troubleshooting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Tesla Model 3. I have been having to charge outside with the mobile connector because I'm in the middle of reorganizing my garage. This morning it was 12 degrees (F) and it had snowed a bit and I was unable to remove the tesla mobile connector from the charge port. I spent 2 hours trying to get it out, including the following:
  • Manually released the latch inside of the trunk (and broke off the triangle rubber end piece in doing so)
  • Let the car warm up/defrost
  • Pointed a heat gun (on low) at the charger connector for a few minutes
  • Remove the orange cover on the inside of the trunk and pointed a heat gun (on low) on the inside of the trunk pointed at where the charger is
  • Pushed in the charger hard then trying to manually release and pull out
  • Unlocking charge port on the app
  • Poured warm water (I thought this was a dumb idea but saw it on a few posts when searching and was desperate)

In the morning when I pressed the button on the mobile connector, I could at least hear and see the Tesla logo change to the blue color. That isn't happening anymore.

Desperately need help here, had to call off work this morning..Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

it's possible but I think it's very unlikely. The car was charging fine before messing with it. I doubt it's a coincidence that this happened with the cold & snow this morning.
To quote my "all knowing", partner/wife - "You don’t get what you don’t ask for". It would be wise to at least inquire with them. You could conceivably be bumped up as this is your "get-to-work", car.