Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the price you pay for buying a car that is updated continuously rather than waiting until the next "model year". Would you rather that people who bought after you had to wait a certain number of months before getting LTE, even though Tesla was ready to start installing it earlier? Almost every one of us has a story of "If I had only waited X weeks I could have had...". For me two years ago it was parking sensors and folding side mirror. Just enjoy the car.

Couldn't agree more. It's so easy to get emotional about this. I wish I had many of the new features Tesla has introduced but I can't expect everything to be upgradable. Progress marches on and sometimes leaves older things behind. It's just the way things are, especially with advanced technologies.

For me two years ago it was parking sensors and folding side mirror. Just enjoy the car.

Same here. I just missed folding mirrors, fog lights, free parcel shelf, and parking sensors. I bought the parcel shelf at delivery ($250) and installed Artsci's front camera kit for about $750 (which is miles better than the parking sensors).

I'm not complaining, since I'm still driving the best freaking car on the planet.

I have 3G and not LTE. I missed it by a week.

I also have a 70D and not a 60. Some people received their 60 the day the 70D was released.

I think they qualify more for "not cool" However. As someone said. They did get what they ordered.

We sit around and wait for a better version of this car we will never get one. Bring on the innovation!

I just confirmed with my Sevice Advisor that the upgrade is available. He is going to reserve a set for me to install in a couple of weeks. I will not be driving for a while as I have some major surgery next Monday. But I will have the upgrade to look forward to which will drive me to recover quickly.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

At the Rockville MD SC now. Arrived around 10am. LTE is already installed and the door handle issue is being addressed now.

Cost of the LTE install is about $200 for the hardware and 1.6 hours of labor. So the total will be around $500. I'm the first LTE installation Rockville has done (I volunteered to be the guinea pig). Will report back once I get back on the road and can test LTE.

Was able to take a look at the old 3G daughter board (Tesla destroys it after the LTE daughter board is installed). It's about 4" square with a standard SIM card holder. Tesla uses AT&T but evidently any valid SIM card can be used.

If we ever had to pay for connectivity, it would be great to be able to BYO SIM, but at the labor you quoted, sounds like it's buried in there.

Was able to take a look at the old 3G daughter board (Tesla destroys it after the LTE daughter board is installed). It's about 4" square with a standard SIM card holder. Tesla uses AT&T but evidently any valid SIM card can be used.

Thanks for being the LTE retrofit guinea pig. Based upon your assessment post-install, my next call will be to a nearby SvC for an appointment.

Edit: Appointment set - confirmed the retrofit parts are in-house as of yesterday (Los Angeles) and the charge is, as noted, $500. Lots of dead spots in this little corner of paradise yet as communities continue to practice anti-tower NIMBYism - hopefully this will help. Can't hurt, certainly. Danke otra vez.

Last edited:

If we pay for the 4G upgrade ...Will there be connectivity for 4 yrs from the upgrade date or is it 4 yrs from the date of delivery?

Has Tesla mentioned anything about the cost once the 4 yrs is over? I prefer Verizon wireless sim card and they have better connectivity where I live.

Thanks. If like to know if you think it's with the $500. 3G works fine for looking up POIs.

My opinion for right now: if you never have coverage problems, it's not worth it right now. If you have coverage problems occasionally, it is likely to help - you make the decision if $500 is worth it to you.

At some point I assume Tesla will deliver hotspot functionality, especially since GM is pushing it so hard and all of the other manufacturers are racing to follow.

My opinion for right now: if you never have coverage problems, it's not worth it right now. If you have coverage problems occasionally, it is likely to help - you make the decision if $500 is worth it to you.

At some point I assume Tesla will deliver hotspot functionality, especially since GM is pushing it so hard and all of the other manufacturers are racing to follow.

Pretty sure Audi already has hotspot functionality.