Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Range In New M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just picked up my new Model 3 Long Range today, and charged it to around 85% and the range is showing around 265 miles. Sorry if this is a stupid question but should this not be at least 300 miles? Or does it take a few days of use for the range to get higher?

Thanks!

If 85% is 265 miles, 100% would be 311 miles. That’s about right for the displayed range. I wasn’t getting anything like that when it was cold and wet but with careful driving that could be achievable in the warmer weather. Forget the advertised WLTP range of 340 odd miles - that’s as unrealistic as the advertised mpg of ICE cars. It’s an unrealistic lab figure that manufacturers are required to quote.

Reactions: ACarneiro
If 85% is 265 miles, 100% would be 311 miles. That’s about right for the displayed range. I wasn’t getting anything like that when it was cold and wet but with careful driving that could be achievable in the warmer weather. Forget the advertised WLTP range of 340 odd miles - that’s as unrealistic as the advertised mpg of ICE cars. It’s an unrealistic lab figure that manufacturers are required to quote.

Ahh ok thank you! Probably should have done the maths first o_O

I haven’t had the opportunity for a long trip yet but my experience with my previous EV is that range will increase/decrease depending upon winter or summer and how gently or aggressively you drive.
At 30mph on a warm day you might get nearer to the top end of possible range

Sounds about right. As others have said, 350 will never show, real world range depends on various things, mostly weight of right foot and rain. It looks like I’d get around 200-250 miles from a full charge and that’s with a very heavy right foot. I’m very happy with this as I suspected it would be lower.

Sounds about right. As others have said, 350 will never show, real world range depends on various things, mostly weight of right foot and rain. It looks like I’d get around 200-250 miles from a full charge and that’s with a very heavy right foot. I’m very happy with this as I suspected it would be lower.
The 350 is the EV equivalent of the ICE fuel consumption figures at a constant 56mph that are reported. No one sees those and thinks they will actually achieve them.They are just for comparison. Unfortunately people don't necessarily have the same understanding of EV range so think they will actually achieve those figures. Even the 311 EPA range used in car is not going to be doable day in day out throughout the year.

If I'd done 472 miles at 38mph I'd be ready to be shot just to relieve the boredom...

Agreed! Mind you true averages are often surprisingly low ... I had an Alfa that maintained a longterm average speed for my journeys, mostly commuting admittedly, but over several thousand miles, including a few motorway trips, the average was less than 20mph! A long trip over fast A roads is an interesting experiment ... if you manage a genuine average of 60mph you've almost certainly been doing 90mph+ for a significant part of the journey! Those times when your speed has to drop below 60 really add up and are hard to recoup.

Agreed! Mind you true averages are often surprisingly low ... I had an Alfa that maintained a longterm average speed for my journeys, mostly commuting admittedly, but over several thousand miles, including a few motorway trips, the average was less than 20mph! A long trip over fast A roads is an interesting experiment ... if you manage a genuine average of 60mph you've almost certainly been doing 90mph+ for a significant part of the journey! Those times when your speed has to drop below 60 really add up and are hard to recoup.
It's annoying that the car does not actually give you an average speed for a journey.( unless I have missed it) That's been a staple of trip computers since the 80s. However I have a regular journey I do of around 120 miles that I know from previous cars averages about 50mph. mainly on A roads, no town driving, some 30mph villages. Small amount of motorway, i.e. typical cross country route. Over the winter I was consistently getting around 300wh/m.
I really want to know how much difference the warmer weather will make but looks like that aspiration will have to wait a few weeks:(.
I think I was already seeing the average start to creep down before lockdown.

I really want to know how much difference the warmer weather will make but looks like that aspiration will have to wait a few weeks:(.
I think I was already seeing the average start to creep down before lockdown.

I would guess the people who have been running Teslafi (since last summer) will be the ones who will be able to answer that one. I picked up my car in September and the range hit was very noticeable over a mix of journeys once the winter came on. Long single "trips" were affected too but I would say to a lesser extent unless the weather was extreme.

I haven’t had the opportunity for a long trip yet but my experience with my previous EV is that range will increase/decrease depending upon winter or summer and how gently or aggressively you drive.
At 30mph on a warm day you might get nearer to the top end of possible range
You should be able to match the 310'ish EPA range in summer driving legally, but the 340+ WLTP range would, I think, be achievable only if you drove mainly town and slower local roads in warm summer weather. I spent a month in the Costa Blanca in February/March with mine and the range was superb. Back in the cold rain in Scotland and I had to add an extra stop to get home!

Seems the Model Y has solved this problem with it's heat pump.

You should be able to match the 310'ish EPA range in summer driving legally, but the 340+ WLTP range would, I think, be achievable only if you drove mainly town and slower local roads in warm summer weather. I spent a month in the Costa Blanca in February/March with mine and the range was superb. Back in the cold rain in Scotland and I had to add an extra stop to get home!

Seems the Model Y has solved this problem with it's heat pump.
Yes, I wish the 3 had a heat pump. Its resistive heater really hits consumption hard in winter - esp on short trips (in terms of Wh/mile).