Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Power Steering.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
So here’s the Situation, I was driving 45 - 50 mph on a very rural area in Desert Springs California on my way back home to San Diego. I saw a store and wanted to get water so I applied the brakes hard to slow it down but Did Not Slam the breaks, just a quicker slow down and onto a stop then I pulled into the driveway of the store, placed on park and went inside.

Upon getting back into the car I started to back out and immediately felt the steering was extremely hard to turn. The indicator said unable to use Steering and may have to use a little force to steer. So it was was driv able but hard to steer. We had these non-power steering cars back in the day.

Immediately I did a computer Reset. That didn’t fix it.

I had my air blowing and can smell some type of chemical and had to turn off the air or I would get sick, I lowered the windows to get fresh air.

I got home after 100 miles of driving with no power steering and placed it on Park. Then I took my luggage out and came back to the car to re-position it. Immediately the steering turned easily and I regained Power Steering.

What do you guys think? Will it happen again? Anyone with the same issues? And should I take it into Service to be checked out?

April 2019 Build Standard Range Plus 44,271 miles. This car is solid and I’ve never had any issues with it until today.

Thanks, any info will be highly appreciated.

Fred

Enter Service Mode and check logs? I'm assuming that you didn't put the car into Park and exit the car until you got back home? Chemical smell seems strange - battery coolant maybe? Have you checked under the car for any damage?

The actual code is Steering Assist Reduced and I saw that 5 months ago on Reddit that they that after software 2023.12.9 this started to happen.

When did we get 2023.23.9 ?

Probably another software glitch. There is no damage under the car and I have not driven over any to cause any type of Rupture.

My only guess before is that while bringing the car to a harder stop that maybe the Steering Pump Hose may of pop lose and maybe fluids may have spilled but it worked fine as soon as I parked when I got home.

Either way, I set an appointment for November 1st to see what they say. I am not going to leave it there. As I am leaving the next day on a flight to Orlando and don’t want the car sitting on some lot.

The crazy part is that 5 months ago, Tesla was replacing the steering Rack and it still did the same issue because it was actually Software glitch.

Never had this happened to me and my latest software was very resent 2023.23.9

Because it happens after a software update, I just read the Model S post on this same issue, also there is a cable connected to the rack that may be lose.

The other fix is the do 2 or a third reset and it will come back.

Other said that after waiting weeks to get the rack to arrive and replaced after 6 hours, it still did the same. Software update fixed it. They want to replace the part for $1800.00 first and not correct the main issue, either a loose connector or a software glitch. Not going to bother with this now that I know what to do and just wait and see if it will do it again. If it does I will bring it in then.

So two days ago I had a Tesla technician come to my home to change out the trunk lid harness which was a known recall issue. Today 3 minutes after driving I get a pop up warning that steering “ steering assist reduced” The code is UI-a020. As soon as I come to a turn I can barely turn the steering wheel. I had to use extreme force. If I had been going faster I would have crashed into something. “Steering assist reduced “ message is not something to take lightly and not a minor issue. . I had it towed to Tesla today.

So here’s the Situation, I was driving 45 - 50 mph on a very rural area in Desert Springs California on my way back home to San Diego. I saw a store and wanted to get water so I applied the brakes hard to slow it down but Did Not Slam the breaks, just a quicker slow down and onto a stop then I pulled into the driveway of the store, placed on park and went inside.

Upon getting back into the car I started to back out and immediately felt the steering was extremely hard to turn. The indicator said unable to use Steering and may have to use a little force to steer. So it was was driv able but hard to steer. We had these non-power steering cars back in the day.

I had my air blowing and can smell some type of chemical and had to turn off the air or I would get sick, I lowered the windows to get fresh air.

I got home after 100 miles of driving with no power steering and placed it on Park. Then I took my luggage out and came back to the car to re-position it. Immediately the steering turned easily and I regained Power Steering.

What do you guys think? Will it happen again? Anyone with the same issues? And should I take it into Service to be checked out?

April 2019 Build Standard Range Plus 44,271 miles. This car is solid and I’ve never had any issues with it until today.

Fred
My steering went out while I was driving. A “ steering reduced” warning popped up. When I took a turn I could barely turn the wheel. Mechanic told me it does happen at times. He said get out of car. Park it. And it sometimes resets steering. That’s fine when you’re parked. How about when driving!

Fred
It’s a major issue right now with faulty steering issues. Do a web search. AP article dated February 2, 2024. A lot on the web regarding this. Also possible NHSTA recall coming soon.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I had similar issue. Problem turned out that electrical connector to steering rack power supply has corroded. It’s unclear how water got into it, but the whole pin disintegrated. Probably took some time to fully corrode. Check out the top pin in the pic. Service said the whole steering rack and harness had to be replaced. Vehicle is out of warranty. Cost be $4700. Pretty sad. Seems like a design flaw.

Attachments

• IMG_5197.jpeg
    IMG_5197.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 5
All I had to do is put it in Park, that reset it.

Prior to losing power steering I came to an abrupt stop and tuned into a parking slot at a convenience store.

When I got back into the car and I was backing out it was when the steering wheel was tight. Reset the car twice and nothing.

So I muscled it home, after placing it on Park for a minute while I removed some luggage and when I got it running it was just fine.

Hasn’t happened again since that day. October 25, 2023

I had similar issue. Problem turned out that electrical connector to steering rack power supply has corroded. It’s unclear how water got into it, but the whole pin disintegrated. Probably took some time to fully corrode. Check out the top pin in the pic. Service said the whole steering rack and harness had to be replaced. Vehicle is out of warranty. Cost be $4700. Pretty sad. Seems like a design flaw.

What year is your car? Mine is a March 2019 build SR+. We hardly get any rain here in San Diego.

What year is your car? Mine is a March 2019 build SR+. We hardly get any rain here in San Diego.
2020 SR+

Thanks, hopefully they will change out that corroded connector because it could happen again. Will be waiting for the notice.
They don’t service broken parts, they just replace them. It so happens that the corroded pin is attached to $2300 or so part. Very sad