Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to Join the Real Tesla Motor Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be a bit rambling but here goes.

I love the concept of Tesla and the Model S has been a dream car of mine since it came out. Am finally at a point where I realistically have the option to buy one but am trying to decide which way is going to be the best bang for my buck...and learn more about them.

It seems like many used Tesla's are because people are buying their second or third so that solidifies my idea to purchase one but still have a few concerns.

Don't really go on many road trips but the supercharging stops concern me a little in terms of time and running out of battery. I'm in Arizona so mainly would be to California. The 110 heat here also concerns me for battery life both because of AC use and overall heat for battery life.

Beyond that I'm now conflicted if I should get a Model 3 or Y or a used 2016.5 or newer Model S. It's my understanding that anymore it's about space and I probably don't need the extra space that's in an S but it is a nice looking car...and I'll own it until it dies.

All this being said I appreciate all the information on these boards and am glad to no longer be just lurking.

Welcome aboard. I have a MS and love it....would definitely buy again. The M3 is an awesome car as well. Don't see how you could go wrong either way.

I would not worry about battery issues as there are plenty of reports of longevity. The BMS in your new Tesla is very robust.

Lots of happy Tesla owners in Arizona. Plenty of Superchargers along the highways to California. They can get busy during special times like Thanksgiving, New Years and Christmas, so many are on the road at those times. Otherwise they tend to be wide open.

There is a computer in Teslas that tell you where those superchargers are, how many stalls are empty and how long you will need to plug in to get to your next stop. Calculations done by the computer are pretty accurate and takes most of the stress and mental gymnatstics out of trip planning.

Very high heat can lengthen the time to supercharge, but the cars have fans and AC cooling that will condition your battery before arriving to optimize charging speed. Pretty cool system.

Most owners simply plug into their home charging systems and charge over night (kind of like your cell phone) You wake to a charged battery that will get you around for local travel.

Model S is indeed a beautiful car. Lots of them available at reasonal prices used.
Model 3 is a great and efficient popular choice. Well priced with option packages available to fit most needs and budgets.
Model Y is a year away. Essentially a small SUV design based on the Model 3. Little more expensive and a little less fuel efficient.

Hard to make a bad choice.

Nice to see you doing your homework. Next step might be to stop by your friendly local showroom, check out all the models, and take one for a ride.

Thank you.

I strongly have been looking at the 16.5 or early 17 S that has all the features and benefits. Truthfully coming from a Prius I like the digital MPH on the dash vs the corner of the screen in a 3. Have a friend who has a 3 and loved driving it for a little bit, but wasn't sure how well I'd do with just the screen (which is what it seems like the new refresh S is going to look like) and MPH in the corner of it.

Ideally I'm keeping the car until she dies so I've nudged myself to an S for the extra space...probably.