Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Looking to buy a new Model S - Can you retrofit the panorama roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had a pano roof on both of the S's I've owned since early 2013 - and when it's time to replace our 2017 S 100D, lack of a pano roof might cause me to look at other options for the next vehicle - because I often drive with the roof open around home - and not sure I want to give that up...

Reactions: PhilDavid
Tesla US New CPO and Used cars including MS MX and Model 3 have about 70 off 2019 cars, with HW3 (so must be in build or have just been built) and the pano roof listed in the US, a variety of models. (add roof to the table by clicking on the word just above the table).

Maybe one of those matches your spec?

EV-CPO also shows 2019s with HW3 and pano roof.

So they're definitely still manufacturing the pano roof, it's just not available on their website. Maybe you can't custom order one with a pano roof anymore, but you should be able to find an unused inventory unit with the pano roof that meets your specs and hasn't been used.

I wonder why they're making it seem like the pano is no longer available. I'm sure there are some people passing on the car because it looks like you can't get it anymore.

Having it so hard to buy the pano roof also probably makes the stats on the pano roof look worse. They sit manufactured and unsold for longer, so the pencil pushers will probably recommend completely getting rid of it altogether.

EV-CPO also shows 2019s with HW3 and pano roof.

So they're definitely still manufacturing the pano roof, it's just not available on their website. Maybe you can't custom order one with a pano roof anymore, but you should be able to find an unused inventory unit with the pano roof that meets your specs and hasn't been used.

I wonder why they're making it seem like the pano is no longer available. I'm sure there are some people passing on the car because it looks like you can't get it anymore.

Having it so hard to buy the pano roof also probably makes the stats on the pano roof look worse. They sit manufactured and unsold for longer, so the pencil pushers will probably recommend completely getting rid of it altogether.

Ran out of parts inventory, in advance of refreshed model, perhaps.

Reactions: Chaserr
Ran out of parts inventory, in advance of refreshed model, perhaps.

That would make sense if they weren't still manufacturing units with the sunroof. 2019 with sunroof and HW3 means they were very recently manufactured, way after they stopped allowing you to configure a sunroof online in November 2018.

Here's one with a 307xxx VIN

Model S 100D 5YJSA1E22KF307003 | Tesla

Doesn't that mean it just rolled off the line?

That would make sense if they weren't still manufacturing units with the sunroof. 2019 with sunroof and HW3 means they were very recently manufactured, way after they stopped allowing you to configure a sunroof online in November 2018.

Here's one with a 307xxx VIN

Model S 100D 5YJSA1E22KF307003 | Tesla

Doesn't that mean it just rolled off the line?

They're into 312xxx region now, but if its HW3, as thats only been in production for a 3-4 weeks its as good as you can reasonably get for a new inventory car

I think this will be our next retrofit we do here at EVFIXME. Dont know if it will work unless we try.
We already retrofitted AP1, automatic open/close charge port , front facelifted bumper with hood and headlights and the premium seats ...this can be our next task...Converting our Signature model S with full glass roof.

Would you be able to control the operation with the MCU?

Presumably the sunroof but it sounds like the retrofit is going the other way and replacing sunroof with full fixed glass so there is nothing to control. He probably could do it for someone else with MCU controls since they would need to change software to control the other retrofits they added to their Sig.