Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a new Model S - Can you retrofit the panorama roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are looking into buying an additional Model S but the lack of a panorama roof is a deal-breaker for us.

Love the panorama roof in our Model S and it's an essential feature for us. If we buy a new Model S, can we replace the glass roof with a panorama roof?
Try ordering "off-menu." There has been discussion on ability to place order and add pano by talking directly with Tesla. I'm not sure if that was available just during the transition to all glass, or if it's still an option.

Reactions: Brettski and brkaus
I strongly agree - both of my Model S vehicles have the panoramic roof - I love that feature and I will never buy another vehicle without an opening roof. My Jaguar i-Pace has the glass roof and it is nice if you are in the back, but I would prefer something that I could open.

Brent

Reactions: PhilDavid
I strongly agree - both of my Model S vehicles have the panoramic roof - I love that feature and I will never buy another vehicle without an opening roof. My Jaguar i-Pace has the glass roof and it is nice if you are in the back, but I would prefer something that I could open.

Brent

Funny to see all of the responses here... I have always been a sun roof guy, and my trade-off with the Tesla was giving up the sun roof for the pano roof. Honestly, I've driven the sun roof Tesla's, and I much prefer the pano roof because you don't get the middle bar going across. I don't miss the sun roof at all, which honestly surprises me. But, I guess that's what makes the world go around....

There are a few inventory unused P100Ds with pano roof still in stock. It shows 50 miles on the site which means they were probably not used at all, but you can ask them to confirm.

We are going to look into this option. Thanks for the heads up!

Of all the changes they have made to the Model S interior and available configurations, the sunroof removal is something I don't understand. Just looking at used listings, it seems over 80% of cars were ordered with a sunroof so not sure why such a popular option should be removed.

While not a convertible, being able to open the sunroof on a beautiful day really really makes for a great experience. With the recent drop in Model S sales, I don't think the removal of the sunroof helps...

• Disagree
Reactions: drklain and abasile
We are going to look into this option. Thanks for the heads up!

Of all the changes they have made to the Model S interior and available configurations, the sunroof removal is something I don't understand. Just looking at used listings, it seems over 80% of cars were ordered with a sunroof so not sure why such a popular option should be removed.

While not a convertible, being able to open the sunroof on a beautiful day really really makes for a great experience. With the recent drop in Model S sales, I don't think the removal of the sunroof helps...

I've had a lot of sunroof cars, but really only liked them for the added light - not to open them. The glass roof is much better in that respect. But of course I don't live in a hot climate.

Love the panorama roof in our Model S and it's an essential feature for us. If we buy a new Model S, can we replace the glass roof with a panorama roof?

I love my car and Tesla, its the same story a few shortcomings:

Off menu was an option and may still be alive.

I did not read everyones replies, but I will tell you the other side of sunroof in my car. I'm sure not all are like this. I'm thankful service is 2 miles away. I'm a patient person.

I love it most of the time. I use it quite a bit. Especially in WINTER down here.

When I first got the car it had a wind noise, they fixed that twice, WHISTlING above 50mph inside the car, quite annoying after paying that much money for a car. How they fixed that, they made it sound all technical, it amounted to adding RTV to the existing rear seal to build it up and stop the whistle. They called it "adjusting the rear seal".

One of the motors became weak and they replaced both. You know where they are? In the kick panel next to your left foot driver and right foot passenger. All fed through a cable system of pulleys I guess up to the roof. This is why you would never add it later among other things.

After service one time I opened the roof to look and see they lubed it. One of the screws that attach the roof was ready to fall out of its hole literally. I check them myself frequently.

Here in Florida it gets HOT. Even being lubed the roof chatters opening and closing when hot. Also, I ran it open at 75mph a couple weekends ago and looked up I was scared the thing was going to vibrate right off the track from the wind. When closing hot it chatters or moves in such a way that the glass flexes quite a bit and it looks like it might shatter, so I assist with my hand.

Mine does not leak, at least on me or inside. There is a revised tray to catch all that water coming in through the seals and piped to drain elsewhere thank god for that.

Either glass roof or Sunroof, you must get the screen, especially during summer at least in the south, it helps to stave off the heat. Mine screen works real well and it was the best investment. I should have installed it before last weekend. It was a hot drive last sunday and I was not stopping to install it.

Thats a lot of stuff, all in all though I love my sunroof. For some glass roof might be better, maybe all this is why they don't offer it upfront any longer or at all.

There is extensive electric sensor finger crush prevention tape around the surround of the sunroof and Hatch, that when was shown to me by service, I had never seen anything like that ever. Press on it little after activation and the sunroof or deck lid stop on a dime. Very impressive tech, it works real well. It looks like a seal, 3/8 or so diameter semi round rubber in the surround at both locations.

Thats what I know about my sunroof.

Last edited:
We are looking into buying an additional Model S but the lack of a panorama roof is a deal-breaker for us.

If people can cut a car in half and make it a limousine, taking the glass out and welding in a panoramic roof is child's play. You can do anything if you have enough money. People have put hot tubs in their car. So the answer is yes, you can. The question is, is it worth $20000? You are better off getting a used one.

There is always this option :)
IMG_5221.JPG

Reactions: dark cloud