Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I wonder... What if a Tesla employee wants a base model? Are they in front of everyone still, or just in front of the base model public? Hmmm....:confused:

Historically, at the beginning of a new model release, hasn't Tesla configured all manufacturing lines dedicated to that model to produce one particular base configuration (usually a particular battery size and motor(s)), and then filled all reservations with that same base configuration before moving down to the "next most-optioned" configuration? (I am thinking just from a U.S. delivery standpoint here, not taking into account overseas markets that may or may not be RHD.)

If so, I'd expect that they'd do something similar with the Model 3, and prioritize Tesla employees, owners, etc. within each manufacturing configuration. In other words, there would be four "waves" of production:

Wave #1: PXXD (employees, S/X owners, non-owners)
Wave #2: XXD (employees, S/X owners, non-owners)
Wave #3: xxD (employees, S/X owners, non-owners)
Wave #4: xx (employees, S/X owners, non-owners)

Again, speaking only about U.S. deliveries, it's unclear to me whether delivery region (e.g. east coast vs. west coast) would supersede a given manufacturing configuration, or vice-versa. I would imagine that if retooling a line is expensive in terms of cost and downtime, they would completely flush the ordering queue for each base configuration before moving onto the next... but I trust their production chiefs know a lot more about this than I do. ;)

In any case, I totally agree with this:

My sincere hope is that they close the offer for owners and employees relatively quickly and they release the numbers of reservations from each group and region as soon as they close the "jump ahead in line" reservations

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
With this in mind, do we keep this thread going with a first delivery countdown? I'd hate to see the numbers go back up into the hundreds though.

It would be in the hundreds with or without all this reservations with priority. So I don't see the big difference with this. *sigh*

But this make the gap between the "low end" and "high end" bigger... :p

Hmm... We needs more numbers:
First possible date for employee delivery
First possible date for owners delivery
First possible date for non-owners delivery
Fist possible date for European delivery
First possible date for European non-owner delivery
First possible date for European non-owner bare-bone delivery (mine!)
Last possible date for European non-owner bare-bone delivery (mine!)

+++ RHD models, Asian deliveries, deliveries down under.... :p

With this in mind, do we keep this thread going with a first delivery countdown? I'd hate to see the numbers go back up into the hundreds though.

I would say a loose countdown till the production launch presentation in Q4 2017 which technically would be first delivery with Elon's vin00000001 car and maybe few other founders car if they are doing any.

Lets wait awhile to start over counting till we are at least in 2017. I don't know about you but I will need a a little break before start counting again. It's been fun though, we are almost here!!!

I've registered with the aveq unveiling party, yes ! Will you be with us next thursday ?
Oh, by "party" I meant the camp-out at the store. I had no idea aveq was having a reveal party. As fun as that sounds I'm not too sure I'm going to be up to staying out till 2:00 am after 2 days of camping out down at the store :oops:, especially as I have a big day at work on Friday.

Elect Number 6.jpg
Elect Number 6.jpg
Vote for Number 6.jpg