Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Final_Fantasy_VII_Logo.png

Reactions: Bokonon
Always loved this series.
My college class had an education-themed symposium during senior week. We had Tom Yohe (one of the Schoolhouse Rock co-creators) in to give a talk and present his favorite episodes. Since we were all born in '68, we all grew up in front of the TV on Saturday morning watching Schoolhouse Rock and knew all the songs by heart. He said it was the first time he had ever seen an entire auditorium singing along.

He also mentioned he was a little embarrassed at plastering "YOHE" down the factory smokestack in "The Great American Melting Pot."

All this was told to me by my then girlfriend (now wife), since I had to miss the show due to work... :mad:

My college class had an education-themed symposium during senior week. We had Tom Yohe (one of the Schoolhouse Rock co-creators) in to give a talk and present his favorite episodes. Since we were all born in '68, we all grew up in front of the TV on Saturday morning watching Schoolhouse Rock and knew all the songs by heart. He said it was the first time he had ever seen an entire auditorium singing along.
I was born in 1967 myself. I remember how, back in... 1977 or so, I think it was... I was SO surprised to learn that one of my teachers had an ALBUM of Schoolhouse Rock songs to play in class! It hadn't occurred to me that it would exist in any medium other than that TV commercials.

Next? I Got 6iX!

And yes, I remember being rather puzzled by the word 'YOHE' on the smokestack...

I am ready to see what the model 3 looks like. Will I be impressed? Well, we will have to see what it looks like!

Anyways, I find it very odd that someone would even consider buying the Chevy Bolt, especially after GM killed the EV1. But hey, the Model S, X and roadster probably wouldn't exist if the EV1 was still around, tell me what you think could have happened if the EV1's weren't destroyed.

I was born in 1967 myself. I remember how, back in... 1977 or so, I think it was... I was SO surprised to learn that one of my teachers had an ALBUM of Schoolhouse Rock songs to play in class! It hadn't occurred to me that it would exist in any medium other than that TV commercials.
This isn't the Schoolhouse Rock album your teacher had, but it's got some entertaining covers by 90's alternative bands, if that's your thing. I bought it when it came out in the mid 90's:

Various Artists - Schoolhouse Rock! Rocks - Amazon.com Music

So many of my classmates wanted to get the videos that Yohe gave the ordering info to the bookstore, who stocked up on the VHS set (I think it was 2 tapes). The producers added annoying lead-ins with Cloris Leachman and a group of kids singing random jingles between the real stuff (think bad Sesame Street/Electric Company jingles). I remember we dubbed the tapes and made "Cloris-less" copies to watch.

My wife has given the Schoolhouse Rock DVD to every one of our nieces and nephews over the years.

Reactions: Red Sage
SpaceX employees are now able to reserve the Tesla Model 3 early

The list of people having priority on the Tesla Model 3 reservation queue keeps growing. After Tesla employees, Electrek learned from sources that SpaceX employees can now also reserve Tesla’s upcoming third generation vehicle set to be unveiled on March 31st. Like for most Tesla employees, it appears most SpaceX employees reserving the vehicle are doing so sight unseen.

Beside showing more synergy between Elon Musk’s two companies, it also adds up to now 3 groups of people having priority on the Tesla Model 3 reservation queue: Tesla employees, Tesla owners and SpaceX employees.

As we often mentioned in the past few months, the reservation process for the Model 3 is particularly important. Beyond proving demand for a long-range affordable electric vehicle, the process will also create an interesting situation in the US where the $7500 Federal tax credit for electric vehicles is capped at 200,000 units sold per manufacturer.

Tesla is expected to hit its limit in 2018, which means that an early reservation can help ensure the availability of the full tax credit for the vehicle and make it even less expensive. Here’s how we expect Tesla to reach 200,000 units cap:
estimated-and-projected-cumulative-tesla-sales-in-the-u-s-1.png

Tesla has around 15,000 employees worldwide, while SpaceX employs around 5,000 people, most of them in California. Additionally, Tesla has a base of over 100,000 owners with around half in the US. Of course the availability of the tax credit will depend on Tesla bringing the Model 3 to market on time (late 2017) and on a successful production ramp up.

It’s still likely that most eligible people placing a reservation will have access to at least some form of tax credit. Under the current law, once the 200,000 cap is reached, customers will have access to the full credit for a full quarter with no apparent limit on units. They will then receive $3,750 for the following 6 month. It will again go down to $1,875 for the following 6 months. That means that for most of 2019 Tesla buyers won’t likely have much federal incentive to buy cars. By 2020, the Federal subsidy will have likely run out.

SpaceX employees being given early access to Model 3 reservations is only the latest example of collaboration between the two companies headed by Elon Musk. The CEO recently hired Apple’s alloy expert to lead materials engineering at both Tesla and SpaceX, and the automaker made a SPaceX factory tour one of the prizes for its Model S owner referral program.

The two companies also shared technology in the past. The early access is certainly a nice perk for Tesla and SpaceX employees who have the most stressful jobs (and most meaningful) in the tech industry, according to a recent survey. If you are not on Tesla’s or SpaceX’s payroll, you can still reserve the vehicle and the automaker released all the details on how to reserve your place in line starting on the day of the unveiling March 31st.

SpaceX employees are now able to reserve the Tesla Model 3 early

The list of people having priority on the Tesla Model 3 reservation queue keeps growing. After Tesla employees, Electrek learned from sources that SpaceX employees can now also reserve Tesla’s upcoming third generation vehicle set to be unveiled on March 31st. Like for most Tesla employees, it appears most SpaceX employees reserving the vehicle are doing so sight unseen.

Beside showing more synergy between Elon Musk’s two companies, it also adds up to now 3 groups of people having priority on the Tesla Model 3 reservation queue: Tesla employees, Tesla owners and SpaceX employees.

As we often mentioned in the past few months, the reservation process for the Model 3 is particularly important. Beyond proving demand for a long-range affordable electric vehicle, the process will also create an interesting situation in the US where the $7500 Federal tax credit for electric vehicles is capped at 200,000 units sold per manufacturer.

Tesla is expected to hit its limit in 2018, which means that an early reservation can help ensure the availability of the full tax credit for the vehicle and make it even less expensive. Here’s how we expect Tesla to reach 200,000 units cap:
estimated-and-projected-cumulative-tesla-sales-in-the-u-s-1.png

Tesla has around 15,000 employees worldwide, while SpaceX employs around 5,000 people, most of them in California. Additionally, Tesla has a base of over 100,000 owners with around half in the US. Of course the availability of the tax credit will depend on Tesla bringing the Model 3 to market on time (late 2017) and on a successful production ramp up.

It’s still likely that most eligible people placing a reservation will have access to at least some form of tax credit. Under the current law, once the 200,000 cap is reached, customers will have access to the full credit for a full quarter with no apparent limit on units. They will then receive $3,750 for the following 6 month. It will again go down to $1,875 for the following 6 months. That means that for most of 2019 Tesla buyers won’t likely have much federal incentive to buy cars. By 2020, the Federal subsidy will have likely run out.

SpaceX employees being given early access to Model 3 reservations is only the latest example of collaboration between the two companies headed by Elon Musk. The CEO recently hired Apple’s alloy expert to lead materials engineering at both Tesla and SpaceX, and the automaker made a SPaceX factory tour one of the prizes for its Model S owner referral program.

The two companies also shared technology in the past. The early access is certainly a nice perk for Tesla and SpaceX employees who have the most stressful jobs (and most meaningful) in the tech industry, according to a recent survey. If you are not on Tesla’s or SpaceX’s payroll, you can still reserve the vehicle and the automaker released all the details on how to reserve your place in line starting on the day of the unveiling March 31st.

With this in mind, do we keep this thread going with a first delivery countdown? I'd hate to see the numbers go back up into the hundreds though.

First deliveries for the members of the forum are going to be all over the place. At best, all we could do is estimate how many SpaceX employees (of the 5,000) and how many of the Tesla employees (of the 15,000) are going to reserve, then estimate how many existing owners are going to reserve. Then we have to decide if we want to count Tesla and SpaceX employees in the estimated "first deliveries" countdown.

My sincere hope is that they close the offer for owners and employees relatively quickly and they release the numbers of reservations from each group and region as soon as they close the "jump ahead in line" reservations. They also need to give an idea of how they anticipate handling the regional rollout schedule. Obviously, most of the SpaceX and Tesla employees fall into the first region to get the Model 3, but when the early reservation process closes Tesla will know just how many reservations there are in each and every region.
They should also be able to estimate production numbers with relative accuracy (it's not their first rodeo).

It really wouldn't be fair to the non-owners and non-employees to leave them (aka: most of you folks) hanging in the great unknown.

So I wonder... What if a Tesla employee wants a base model? Are they in front of everyone still, or just in front of the base model public? Hmmm....:confused: