Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-term owners, any issues, problems selling the vehicle, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lease on my current car runs out in May, and I’m seriously considering making the switch to EV and going with a Tesla. Probably going with the Model 3 Performance, but I posted this on this board because I’m curious if anyone that bought a Model S a few years ago (4+) has had any long-term issues. What about any issues selling it? Does it hold it’s value pretty well?

I’m currently debating between leasing or financing a new Model 3 Performance. I’m leaning towards financing it through a credit union, but I’m worried about the technology, battery performance, reliability, and re-sale value if I own it for 5-7 years. Like iOS updates do to older iPhones, will the Tesla software upgrades over time make the performance of the car’s computer and battery deteriorate?

What about the re-sale and/or trade-in value? Does it hold up over time? Have any of y’all had an issue selling your cars or getting a fair trade-in value?

The thing that makes me consider leasing the vehicle is so I can re-evaluate the state of electric vehicles in 3 1/2 years. I’d imagine the electric vehicles from Tesla (and all the other luxury brands) will be far superior to where we are at the moment.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? Thanks in advance!

The only real problem I had trying to sell a Model S 60 was that it was RWD and I live on the front range of Colorado. Everyone here buys 4x4, AWD or at a minimum FWD. Nobody around here buys RWD unless it's some sports car toy they can park in a garage 5 months out of the year.

If you're concerned about resale you should NOT buy a brand new car of any brand.

I feel like the Model 3 will be an especially poor investment (compared to other options...all new cars are bad investments) once these hundreds of thousands of Model 3's start hitting the used car market. The owners are going to be awfully bummed when their $60k Model 3 is worth less than $20k after only 4-5 years.

The Model S has held it's value alright on the used market due largely to supply v demand. Even though there's not a huge demand for them there also wasn't a ton of them manufactured.

More so for the Model X that has held it's value even better also due largely to supply v demand for similar reasons as above but in inverse: even though there's not a lot of demand there wasn't very many of them made at all so it seems as though the supply is just barely pacing demand.

Once the Model 3 hits the used market and there's other players in the field (Ford, GM, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) giving more choices to buyers it's going to be rough. Keep in mind that Tesla made more Model 3's in a single quarter than the best sales #'s for an entire year for the Model S.

Back to the original point though... if you're concerned about resale don't buy new and certainly don't lease. Just find a nice 4-5 year old car that meets 95% of your needs and pay cash. You'll lose a LOT less money and will be blown away by how much better even a 4-5 year old Model S is than your current car.

The Model S has held it's value alright on the used market due largely to supply v demand. Even though there's not a huge demand for them there also wasn't a ton of them manufactured.
Let me fix that for you....

"The Model S has held it's value alright on the used market until Tesla slashed new prices overnight in Feb 2019 dropping used prices up to 50%".....yep I'm still p***ed about that, what can I say :mad:

Reactions: SSedan
Let me fix that for you....

"The Model S has held it's value alright on the used market until Tesla slashed new prices overnight in Feb 2019 dropping used prices up to 50%".....yep I'm still p***ed about that, what can I say :mad:
Just another example to support my case of why not to buy new. While nobody could have predicted that (even though they've stated time and again that the battery pack is the single most expensive component and they would be moving heaven and earth in the years to come to bring that cost down, thus bringing down the cost of the entire car) buying new at a substantially reduced price limits your exposure to such market fluctuations. When you want the brand new whiz-bang item at full price that's one of the risks you take.

Status
Not open for further replies.