Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with evaluating your thesis is that there is no precedent to use as a responsible analogue. Such transformational firms as Xerox, Kodak, Wang and Bowmor all seemed invincible because of technological leads, and they are now gone. For that matter, so is Westinghouse. Tesla has several valid parallels with such companies, so I fully understand the bears.

I am bullish primarily because I think Tesla will probably be acquired by somebody deep-pocketed and savvy if there is a significant slip. The large questions is my mind are Model 3 third year sales, upcoming Model Y, pickup, Model S and X replacement and, probably more serious, Tesla ability to compete well with other energy storage and photovoltaic suppliers.

A lot of the tech companies that aren't here anymore, or only exist as a division of some other company were innovators who failed to keep up with shifts in the underlying technology. Wang and Digital Equipment were big in the days of the minicomputer of the late 60s and early 70s. When the tech changed and desktop computers could do everything a minicomputer could do and more, their market began to dry up.

Microsoft is in the same decline those other tech giants once were in because their core competency was desktop computing and while there is still a market for that, it's shrunk as consumers have gone to handheld devices that run different software. Apple stayed relevant longer by being on the cutting edge of some of the changes over the last 15 years. However with Steve Jobs gone, it's still an open question whether Apple will continue to be the company pushing the envelope. They have a lot of cash so they will remain strong for a long time, but they may fall from the ranks of the cutting edge.

In Tesla's car business, they are the cutting edge. They are years ahead of anyone else and there are a lot of tech startup companies trying to catch up and more traditional car companies are dabbling with electric vehicles while trying to ignore the titanic shifts in the market Tesla could trigger with the Model 3.

Tesla could miscalculate with the Model 3 and get into trouble. I've heard one of the Google founders have a standing offer to bail them out if they get into trouble. If the Model 3 is the success it looks like it might be at this point, Tesla could end up absorbing one of today's major car companies to get access to ready built factories on many continents.

Tesla Energy is a bit of a different animal. The market is crowded with players who have similar tech. Tesla does have the advantage of being able to build large scale li-ion storage arrays. Something nobody else can compete with on the same scale. They also have the most prominent name in the alternative energy business and a reputation for making a quality product. Their equipment has the kind of reputation HP's did back before Carly Fiorina ruined the company.

HP made Cadillac equipment. Back in the 80s, if you wanted the best scientific calculator, it was HP. In the 90s if you wanted the best printer, it was HP. They also were the best brand for many pieces of industrial equipment too. I worked as a contractor for a maker of medical equipment in the Seattle area. One of their competitors was HP and the owner hated HP. One day I was over in an area where the drafting department was and noticed in the corner was an HP plotter. The industry standard in large format plotters. I went over and looked at it more closely and they had taped over all the HP logos, probably to please the president of the company who would be the type to have a cow about that sort of thing.

If Tesla can keep their reputation for quality in energy equipment, they can remain a leader even if they don't have tech that's way ahead of the rest of the pack like they do in the car industry.

Tesla being a Silicon Valley company is an advantage here. There are a lot of people working there who know how some of the great Valley companies became great and they know how the greats fell. Many witnessed both first hand. They know what mistakes not to make.

What I'm really excited about is the Tesla network that's gonna act like Uber does.

If Uber is doing an IPO tomorrow, they might get introduced at 100B.
That means, if Tesla can get the same market share and prospect at the same game than Uber, you can add 100B dollars to Tesla market cap.

• Love
Reactions: callmesam
" Xerox, Kodak, Wang and Bowmor "

Lol.

Two word : Elon Musk.

The guy is 50 years ahead, even the futurists that don't even create companies, and just dream about the future, and are expert about the future, are revering Elon.
Those names and others had visionaries too. Please don't imagine I'm pessimistic about Tesla; if I were I would not have kept buying TSLA during
The last four years. Still, this is a bet, not a certainty.

Reactions: mblakele
I think there's a question of what we mean by "long term". 2 years? I can see only positives. 5 years? Murkier.

70 years? Well, ask the 1910 investors in Ford how it was doing in 1980. No companies last forever.
Some last a long, long time albeit with dramatic booms and busts. Nokia was started in 1865. the name itself is that of a Finnish town in what was then the Russian Empire.
Even family businesses can survive and thrive for hundreds of years:
Family Business - The World's Oldest Family Companies

Tesla could surprise everyone and outlast us all.

Reactions: neroden
Probably not if you look at the mean, but I am pretty sure the outliers amongst oldest firms are indeed all family-owned ones.

There's an historical logical reason for that - let's see who first correctly answers why.

Reactions: neroden
If the Model 3 is successful, Tesla will probably have the capital to really grow fast. Up to now they haven't had the capital to really work seriously on more than one vehicle at a time. They have been able to expand the supercharger network, GF, and other investments through raising capital.

If the Model 3 is bringing in enough profit, they can afford to develop more than one vehicle at a time as well as expand their manufacturing, service centers, and superchargers, all out of gross profit. They won't be making much of a net profit during this phase, but they won't be in the red either. They will be in the phase Amazon was in from the end of the 1990s to 2016 where they plowed all their profits back into the company and expanded on profits.

If the Model 3 is successful, Tesla will probably have the capital to really grow fast. Up to now they haven't had the capital to really work seriously on more than one vehicle at a time. They have been able to expand the supercharger network, GF, and other investments through raising capital.

If the Model 3 is bringing in enough profit, they can afford to develop more than one vehicle at a time as well as expand their manufacturing, service centers, and superchargers, all out of gross profit.
Well, don't forget the Mythical Man-Month -- or to put it another way, nine women can't make a baby in one month.

Just because you have more money doesn't necessarily mean you have the ability to train service techs fast enough, doesn't mean you have enough appropriately-skilled engineers to develop two cars at once, etc.

But other than that, yeah, I agree with you.

As a company Tesla is going to enter a very interesting time : M3 launch, MY launch, 100% full autonomy coming in, Tesla Network, Solar Roof, ...
Crazy

Let's put these in likely order going through 2017:
-- Solar Roof reservations open
-- Q1 earnings
-- Q2 deliveries
-- M3 launch
-- Q2 earnings
-- M3 *public* (non-employee) launch
-- Q3 deliveries
-- Q3 earnings
-- Q4 deliveries

I'm not even going to hazard a guess as to when "full autonomy" happens, but I'm on the "not any time soon" side of the bet.

Reactions: Tenable
Well, don't forget the Mythical Man-Month -- or to put it another way, nine women can't make a baby in one month.

Just because you have more money doesn't necessarily mean you have the ability to train service techs fast enough, doesn't mean you have enough appropriately-skilled engineers to develop two cars at once, etc.

But other than that, yeah, I agree with you.

I've quoted the nine women can't make one baby in a month thing. There are some tasks that can't be broken down to many people. However, designing more than one car at a time is something every auto maker bigger than Tesla does.

It will take some time to expand the workforce and train the people necessary to do the jobs, but if any car makers fold as a result of the switch to electric cars, there might be a fair number of people out there with the basic skills in automotive design and maintenance who can be trained fairly quickly. Most of the people working at the Tesla service centers today worked on ICE cars before going to work for Tesla. Most of the front office people and about half the techs at my service center look to be in the 40s or 50s. They did something before getting a job at Tesla.

Reactions: MitchJi and neroden
What I'm really excited about is the Tesla network that's gonna act like Uber does.

If Uber is doing an IPO tomorrow, they might get introduced at 100B.
That means, if Tesla can get the same market share and prospect at the same game than Uber, you can add 100B dollars to Tesla market cap.

My thoughts exactly... you can add an extra $600 to tesla share price for tesla network once it's up and running