Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Log Parsing tool available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
good morning, I'm starting to explore the world of data from my Roadster, and have been using Tom's command line parser (thanks muchly to Tom, Doug and others for investing time into helping others interpret roadster data). On Tom's page VMS Log Parser for Tesla Roadster there are a couple of examples of commands for the parser, which I have used to generate data files, and some nice Excel graphs, but to take it to the next level I was hoping to find a dummy's guide to command-line instructions for Tom's parser.
On Tom's webpage there is reference to "help text" for more info on command-line instructions, but I couldn't see a link to any help text. My eyes are not what they used to be however!!
Is there any duffer's guide to command-line someone could share here?

Two things I would like to do are:
1. Look at charging history of the car in some detail (ie date/time, amperage, charge duration, charge kWh, and charge location if possible - guessing location is not possible however, given that location data looks to be encrypted)
2. Extract full details of brick charge/ health over time, so data on each brick with date/time (I've looked at the lowest brick data on Doug's graphical parser, and I see some degree of randomness and some degree of stickiness in the lowest brick number, however I'd like to correlate a wider view of brick health with CAC and other data (such as dates when I noted the battery doing some balancing), and would appreciate some help in how to write a command line instruction to dump very granular brick data out of my data logs.

many thanks
Drew

Reactions: Mark77a
Hi Drew,

The "help text" is what you get if you run the my parser with no arguments. It includes a list of all the command line options, the codes I use for the various record types, and some example commands.

VMSParser

The charge history is only available in the transient section of the log, so you can only view recent charging, depending on how long you've been saving log files. Use the -c option to get a summary of your recent charging sessions. You are right, charge location is not available.

VMSParser -c <your tar file>

As far as I know, the log does not include detailed info on individual bricks. The DAY records in the permanent section has the minimum and average brick amp-hours and which brick in the minimum.

VMSParser -p -r DAY <your tar file>

Use the -t option to get the output as a tab-delimited file you can import into a spreadsheet or database program.

VMSParser -p -r DAY -t <your tar file>

I hope that helps.

Tom

Reactions: Mark77a