Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load drops on GW version 22.36.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, my system just shutdown running 22.36.7 so I'm trying to see if they've pushed 22.36.8 to me yet.

And no error messages. The Gateway just locked up. First time I've seen that in over a year since I dumped the WiFi connection.

Last edited:
It says it is up to date. Seems they roll this update out in batches. Perhaps to not overwhelm support.
The Powerwall screen is through the Wizard and looks like this:

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 5.15.42 PM.png

Looks like 22.36 was supposed to have "Improved detection of open circuit breakers on Powerwall systems", but guessing that was causing load to drops instead.

What's the latest on this topic? Just had a power outage when the PWs were at 100% and they did not take over. Version 22.36.8.

Standing next to the equipment I could hear a periodic clicking sound (presumably a relay), then a buzzing (??), then some of the loads starting up, then after a few seconds the system would give up on powering on. Repeated maybe once a minute. I couldn't tell whether the clicking/buzzing was from the PWs or the GW1.

Power came back after 5 minutes, so I didn't have time to figure out what experiments to do. When it did come on, the PW local web page reported under 1 kW of house load, so the issue wasn't that the inverters were overloaded. Also had several power outages in February/March, including some with the PWs at 100%, and everything worked as expected then.

So is this a known issue with Version 22.36.8? Or should I be looking for some hardware issue? Tomorrow I'll try doing some experiments with "Go Off Grid" and with just flipping the service disconnect.

Cheers, Wayne

What's the latest on this topic? Just had a power outage when the PWs were at 100% and they did not take over. Version 22.36.8.

Standing next to the equipment I could hear a periodic clicking sound (presumably a relay), then a buzzing (??), then some of the loads starting up, then after a few seconds the system would give up on powering on. Repeated maybe once a minute. I couldn't tell whether the clicking/buzzing was from the PWs or the GW1.

Power came back after 5 minutes, so I didn't have time to figure out what experiments to do. When it did come on, the PW local web page reported under 1 kW of house load, so the issue wasn't that the inverters were overloaded. Also had several power outages in February/March, including some with the PWs at 100%, and everything worked as expected then.

So is this a known issue with Version 22.36.8? Or should I be looking for some hardware issue? Tomorrow I'll try doing some experiments with "Go Off Grid" and with just flipping the service disconnect.

Cheers, Wayne

The latest is that sometimes load drops happen but there isn't always a clear reason every time.

I would be interested to see what your loads are when you measure inrush.

Things that seem to make it worse:
Dirty grid drops
Cold ambient temperatures
Batteries that arent being exercised, so their internal temperature drops and they arent as capable of starting loads with very cold batteries

Call Tesla and report this issue and they are the only ones that can check deeply into the hardware health. Your installer should have limited troubleshooting and error data on their powerhub portal, so have them check your error log as well.

The latest is that sometimes load drops happen but there isn't always a clear reason every time.

I would be interested to see what your loads are when you measure inrush.
There was a dehumidifier that wanted to come on, so I flipped off that breaker but it still wouldn't start. So the only inrush loads should be the ECM motor ERV and the inverter driven heat pump. Both of which should be low inrush. Actually measuring the inrush would be non-trivial.

None of the "things that seem to make it worse" would apply here, PWs are inside the thermal envelope in the basement.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: BGbreeder
There was a dehumidifier that wanted to come on, so I flipped off that breaker but it still wouldn't start. So the only inrush loads should be the ECM motor ERV and the inverter driven heat pump. Both of which should be low inrush. Actually measuring the inrush would be non-trivial.

None of the "things that seem to make it worse" would apply here, PWs are inside the thermal envelope in the basement.

Cheers, Wayne
I would have Tesla look at the hardware then, and see if there is a new firmware to push to your units.