Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load drops on GW version 22.36.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am in the middle of a multi-day outage and was disappointed that my Powerwall system dropped the load 3 times in the last 48 hours. I am told the GW software version 22.36.6 has issues.

I have 5 Powerwalls and 14 kW of PV so its a large system but we were running very minimal loads. We had approximately 1.5 kW of load at the time, and likely the 2 hp well pump probably tried to start. The house totally went dark, and the app said that a breaker was disconnected.

It was 45 degrees outside the first time so I went outside to reset one powerwall by flipping the switch on the side. This did nothing.

I then logged in to the app and saw it thought by breaker was open, though all breakers were closed in the on position.

I tried to reset the GW2 at that point, since I knew I had battery power. After the GW2 was reset the PW activity lights started flashing. At that point I was prompted to restart my system through the app. I think triggering one powerwall switch would have also restarted the system. At this point the system started back up and we had power all evening.

Just now this morning at 9:30 AM it dropped the load again, in full morning sun, I was producing about 4 kW at the time from the PV array and consuming about 2 kW. It reset itself that time and then dropped my load again at about 10 AM.

I called Tech support and they pointed me to the installer login, so I went there. The phone support tech from Tesla indicated that this GW software version had an issue, and I should push the update to 22.36.7

If others have an issue similarly, try to update the version. Also know that it is possible that you will need to jump-start the GW2 if something went wrong with the update and you are off grid. I didn't have to jump mine but it is possible.

I called Tech support and they pointed me to the installer login, so I went there. The phone support tech from Tesla indicated that this GW software version had an issue, and I should push the update to 22.36.7

If others have an issue similarly, try to update the version. Also know that it is possible that you will need to jump-start the GW2 if something went wrong with the update and you are off grid. I didn't have to jump mine but it is possible.
I just checked my version and I'm on 22.36.8 which was pushed to my gateway about 4 hours ago.

Last edited:
Im on 2.36.8 as well with a Gateway V1a (the gateway 1 with the reset hole in it). I dont track when I get updates, but looking at my system data it looks like I have a brief blip at about 10am today that could correspond to a firmware update.

Im on 2.36.8 as well with a Gateway V1a (the gateway 1 with the reset hole in it). I dont track when I get updates, but looking at my system data it looks like I have a brief blip at about 10am today that could correspond to a firmware update.
If you log into the gateway your can see when the it was last restarted through a REST API page: https://##.##.##.##/api/status (replace the #.#.#.# with the actual IP for your gateway). This should be when the firmware was last applied, but if you reset the gateway then it will be that time.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
22.36.6 cf1839cb
How do I push update? Logged in as installer, software update says I’m up to date! Perhaps the update is for PW+?
There is a note: pushing firmware update to the powerwalls occurs on the powerwall page.

EEF5CD47-952C-4E77-B5B0-4A5C9900E7AC.png

22.36.6 cf1839cb
How do I push update? Logged in as installer, software update says I’m up to date! Perhaps the update is for PW+?
There is a note: pushing firmware update to the powerwalls occurs on the powerwall page.

View attachment 921990
It is automatically pushed to you, I am not sure I have any control. I think they push these things in batches.

If you have a similar experience as me, just follow what I did and push the reset button.

This was my first experience with loads dropping and I am glad it wasn't difficult to bring everything back.

Reactions: h2ofun
It is automatically pushed to you, I am not sure I have any control. I think they push these things in batches.

If you have a similar experience as me, just follow what I did and push the reset button.

This was my first experience with loads dropping and I am glad it wasn't difficult to bring everything back.
Seems like if working, leave it alone ? :)

If you log into the gateway your can see when the it was last restarted through a REST API page: https://##.##.##.##/api/status (replace the #.#.#.# with the actual IP for your gateway). This should be when the firmware was last applied, but if you reset the gateway then it will be that time.
Thanks for this. Mine updated today:

Code:
"start_time":"2023-03-27 12:51:07 +0800","up_time_seconds":"9h7m59.950829261s","is_new":false,"version":"22.36.8 78f59883"