Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely Brake and Accelerator Mixup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reference the Korea crash.

As far as the mirrors folding in and out, I believe this most likely happened. If I understand the article correctly this guy was a “designated driver” of sorts that is common in that part of the world. when called they come to you and drive you home in your own car. The car wasn’t his. The mirrors most likely were set to fold at that location. Possibly when passing through an entrance gate or somethin. Mine open and close everyday at work when nearing our guard shack area. Anyone but me would think the car was going crazy with the mirrors.
I believe this guy wasn’t familiar with the car and hit the wrong pedal in a panic. He probably honestly believes he was mashing the brake in his mind.
This and human nature. We sit here and think about what we would logically do. However when driving we often react without thinking. For instance if a car pulls out towards you without warning you WILL turn the wheel and/or press the brake pedal. You can NOT stop this from happening since it is a pure instinctual reaction.

This is sorta what happens. We the car starts accelerating unexpectedly their instinct forces them to press the “brake” pedal down. As the car continues accelerating faster this panic/instinct becomes more acute and they can ONLY press the pedal harder.

So it nothing to do with complex and unlikely of multiple software and hardware failures but simply the failure of the human panic/instinct system.

Reference the Korea crash.

As far as the mirrors folding in and out, I believe this most likely happened. If I understand the article correctly this guy was a “designated driver” of sorts that is common in that part of the world. when called they come to you and drive you home in your own car. The car wasn’t his. The mirrors most likely were set to fold at that location. Possibly when passing through an entrance gate or somethin. Mine open and close everyday at work when nearing our guard shack area. Anyone but me would think the car was going crazy with the mirrors.
I believe this guy wasn’t familiar with the car and hit the wrong pedal in a panic. He probably honestly believes he was mashing the brake in his mind.
Makes sense.