Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightly Polish Ceramic Coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I applied ceramic about 6 weeks ago and found some paint cracking off my cars trunk. I notified Tesla and Tesla took it to a body shop to repair the paint and it looks fine in those areas now, or well at least good enough. However I think the tesla service center cleaned my car before giving it back (some footage from teslacam shows them at least vacuuming the inside and wiping the door panels) and I'm seeing light swirls in the paint on the car now where I recently applied ceramic. I'm guessing that they didn't want to give me back a dirty car after fixing paint, but I think they wiped it down with a dirty microfiber. I'm thinking that if I lightly polish them away I will basically need to re-apply a new ceramic coating as well? which means I may as well re-apply ceramic to the whole car and go through the entire 8 hour process again?

Not looking forward to that!

Or I can leave it be and just deal with the faint swirls?

Is there an option 3?

Yes. Option 3 is spot treat it. The ceramic coating is still good where the work ends. Do a polish where you see swirls, clean the spot well and apply the ceramics. Overlap the coating onto the good spots and treat as usual. This is how I fixed a few small spots on the rear of my 3 where I left hazing/ rainbow streaks.
Polish, clean, coat, repeat.
Good luck and enjoy your 3!

Reactions: Glamisduner
IMG_0598.jpeg

Wow! Glad I chose Adams ceramic coating. None of that extraneous BS. Really straight forward. Watch a few of his tutorials on ceramics and see it's not that difficult. I've never used Cquartz but have heard good things about it.
Not so sure now... :confused:

Wow! Glad I chose Adams ceramic coating. None of that extraneous BS. Really straight forward. Watch a few of his tutorials on ceramics and see it's not that difficult. I've never used Cquartz but have heard good things about it.
Not so sure now... :confused:
Not sure what you were reading but the OP didn't say they had problems WITH the coating but that it was scratched (swirl marks) by poor washing techniques.

To the OP your best bet is to polish, remove and start all over. Once you polish you will remove most if not all of the ceramic coating. When you order the Cquartz do it form the US supplier and get the mirror sign. Here is a direct link:

CQuartz TiO2 50ml Kit

Not sure what you were reading but the OP didn't say they had problems WITH the coating but that it was scratched (swirl marks) by poor washing techniques.

To the OP your best bet is to polish, remove and start all over. Once you polish you will remove most if not all of the ceramic coating. When you order the Cquartz do it form the US supplier and get the mirror sign. Here is a direct link:

CQuartz TiO2 50ml Kit
And having to redo all of it. Totally not nesseccary but point taken. The website will tell you how to attack it. Sounds like you've dealt with it before as well.

one "bad wash job" shouldn't leave swirls in ceramic. IMO. Is it possible the swirls are under the ceramic?
It could leave swirls in the coating. You would hope that it wouldn't, but if they try hard enough, I could certainly believe it!
Coatings don't seem to be as hard as they're marketed to be, IMHO. I have come to believe the proper perspective is to treat a ceramic coating as a sacrificial barrier for your clear coat. IOW, the coating can be scratched, stained & etched just like a clear coat, but when the coating is eventually removed, the clear should be in better shape than with no coating.

The scratches are minor, maybe they used s microfiber that was dropped on the floor, but I can see them in my garage lighting. There Coating itself is still working great except where they repainted the trunk, water just sheets there, very obvious there is no costing. I think I'm supposed to wait 3 months to apply there, So I might just re-coat the whole car then. Maybe it will be easier than the first time.

My friend got Adams and days it messed up his car and he had to polish it off, but I think people need to be real careful with these coatings.

On the other hand I noticed pitting in my rockers, not directly behind the wheels but about 1/2 way between the length of the front doors, so my motivation ok doing anymore crazy paint protection is reduced since I already have to get over it.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
The nice thing about small patches is that's how you're supposed to apply ceramics anyway, in small patches. The tutorials even mention keep it 2'x2' and work slowly. Wipe away all hazing before moving on. Actually way easier than I thought, but I tend to expect the worst. Good luck and sorry about your swirly paint. No matter how little it just sux.:(