Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light show in the garage - Don’t do it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OCJeff

Feb 18, 2021
SoCal (RSM)
So, like an idiot I was excited to see the light show and show it off to my 12 year old son. It was all good until it tried to open the trunk and I didn’t have the garage open.

Doh!

Just a heads up and warning for anyone else. I don’t think I sustained any real damage but in the light tomorrow I’ll know for sure.

Right now it just look like scuffed paint on the lip of the hatch but nothing visible.

It does say start the show outside in the instructions but yeah I think there are several people who found out the hard way that the trunk opens and closes automatically as part of the show (along with the windows and side mirrors moving too).

So, like an idiot I was excited to see the light show and show it off to my 12 year old son. It was all good until it tried to open the trunk and I didn’t have the garage open.

Doh!

Just a heads up and warning for anyone else. I don’t think I sustained any real damage but in the light tomorrow I’ll know for sure.

Right now it just look like scuffed paint on the lip of the hatch but nothing visible.
My garage by 35' to 45' so no any problems with show inside or outside. Conclusion: You need a bigger house and garage!! 🤣 Happy Merry Christmas!

That's why you read the window that says, it will/may open the trunk. Here to hoping the damage isn't too bad.
Agreed, and hence why I feel like the village idiot.

My garage by 35' to 45' so no any problems with show inside or outside. Conclusion: You need a bigger house and garage!! 🤣 Happy Merry Christmas!
I’m taking donations. 😉

Checking it out today in the light the only damage is to my pride. 🤪 The Y is just fine.

Last edited:

Doh!

My wife closed the garage door on her M3 and took a chunk out of the bumper and scratched her paint. Had one of those mobile bumper repair guys come out and did a perfect job.

You should be setting the rear hatch open limit to avoid hitting in your garage. Just manually move the hatch to the desired open height and hold the round close hatch button until to beeps multiple times.

Just FYI, the same can happen if you accidentally press the open hatch on your phone app while you car is parked in the garage.

• Informative
Reactions: Driver08