Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1.5W vs 1W LED license bulbs

Here is a comparison between the 1.5W LED (on left) and the 1W LED (on right). I let the picture be a little overexposed so you can see the differences. If you can't tell, the 1.5W LED is a bit brighter.
LEDs Compared.jpg

There are no drop-in trunk/frunk replacements, but they can be DIY modded to provide more light.

While dim, it actually hasn't bothered me too much. 99% of the time I'm either in a well lit parking lot, in my garage or driveway. I do go camping quite a bit with the kids, but I'd have my headlamp on anyways.

Just installed the new lamps and it looks great. So much brighter.
It's funny how the LEDs bring out the blue color of the car. I originally wanted blue, but it was too dark.

- - - Updated - - -

Which bulbs did you decide to keep in the end (1W vs. 1.5W)? Did you add any extra insulation?
Since I placed the 1W LEDs in there last, I decide to keep those on the car. The 1.5W LEDs seemed to illuminate the road allot more and it's generally against the law to have a white light shining out the back of your car. A pair of 1W LEDs are also much cheaper ($6 shipped). A pair of 1.5W LEDs are around $18 shipped.

I did add insulation, but the 1W LEDs where held in very securely by the plastic housing which keeps them from moving side to side, so I don't think it's necessary.

Francis,

Did you add any extra insulation?

Thank you for the pictures!

I did not add any insulation, the plastic clip held the lamps tightly.

Here's a tip, I put in the lamps and tested them out before i put in the screws. One did not light up, I adjusted its position in the holder, then it worked. I then put in the screws.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I placed the 1W LEDs in there last, I decide to keep those on the car. The 1.5W LEDs seemed to illuminate the road allot more and it's generally against the law to have a white light shining out the back of your car. A pair of 1W LEDs are also much cheaper ($6 shipped). A pair of 1.5W LEDs are around $18 shipped.

I did add insulation, but the 1W LEDs where held in very securely by the plastic housing which keeps them from moving side to side, so I don't think it's necessary.

I bought the ones at http://www.ebay.com/itm/261131029056, $6 for 2. Are these 1-watt? Title says 1-watt but details says 2-watt.

Here is a comparison between the 1.5W LED (on left) and the 1W LED (on right). I let the picture be a little overexposed so you can see the differences. If you can't tell, the 1.5W LED is a bit brighter.
View attachment 14770

A big improvement but I'm not sure I like the shadow cast over the upper middle of the plate. There's got to be a way to make the light more even. An LED strip perhaps?

I purchased the set off eBay.

One thing to note: it is possible to reinstall the clear lenses backwards. It was tempting simply to turn the plastic around when I had the polarity of the LED wrong, I started to put the screws in, then noticed that the lenses are slightly "D" shaped. So be careful that you don't reinstall them the wrong way.