Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lending Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From austin, "Of course, any financial professional will tell you that this should be part of a balanced portfolio. They tend to approach it like toxic mortgage debt. I mean it is "scary" consumer debt. But, so what, this is what banks make billions off of. I can't square this with the idea that this is a risky new idea. This is the unriskiest, oldest banking concept there is."
Agree. Anyone who is willing to assume some financial risk should be able to share in the loan pie.

As to the recent LC IPO, it will probably take several years for the stock to pan out for investors. Although I only have a couple of hundred shares, I think the LC platform offers less volatility, along with a steady ROI. I'm curious to learn if LC maintained decent loan growth for Q1 2015. We should see the numbers soon. New loan notes tend to fall off considerably at the beginning and the end of each month. Towards the end of March, each time I logged onto LC I was only seeing 300 to 400 loans available. On the bright side, a deal was just announced teaming LC up with Citibank. Together they're looking to provide loans for subprime borrowers. I can just envision how thrilled my financial advisor will be to hear that news :) Not sure, but I'll bet that many LC investors act as their own advisors?

I'm attempting to post a screen photo of a graph that I find useful. This is from my LC IRA account. It can be accessed from the 'Account Summary' page and then clicking on 'Understanding Your Returns'. It gives me a quick comparison to others with a similar loan age average. You'll notice that it takes a couple of years for the graph to flatten out and produce a consistent ROI. This graph reflects my average loan age as 24.5 months, with a NAR of over 10%. My ANAR has increased to over 9.5% and it's undoubtedly more accurate. I stick with the LC default settings to predict ANAR. I think that the LC ANAR 'loss adjustment' calculator is realistic, so I haven't messed around with the customize feature. I'm currently only reinvesting the cash that my account produces, so my loan average will continue to age this year. I almost exclusively invest in 60 month loans. For more than one reason they offer a better ROI. Sometimes I'll tweak one of my filters, even to get .1% better. Recently I dropped my credit inquiries down from a max of 3 to 2 or less.

I hope this thread can continue to generate interest for this type of product. Many owners might think they don't have the time, but once you've got an account set up you don't have to spend time on the website. The auto loan features make it a breeze. Good luck!
IMG_1995.JPG

Good find Scott. Apparently the chart that I had posted can only be viewed using a LC Primary platform account. I haven't yet traded in my Foliofn account, so I can't confirm this. Possible explanation? Folio accounts are more complicated. They're bought and sold at different levels of maturity during their 36 or 60 month life cycle. Then there is also the issue of these notes being bought and sold at different price discounts or premiums. Only a guess, but it would likely require many more lines of code to reflect a similar comparative chart? It doesn't seem impossible and would certainly benefit Foliofn users.

There's some irony here. Both LC and Tesla are publicly traded companies. For now, the current laws in some states like Texas have restrictions on both companies' efforts to compete. Protecting the consumer or is it to assuage the fears of bankers and auto dealers?

I don't get the chart either way, probably because I am a FolioFN only state as you say.

There's some irony here. Both LC and Tesla are publicly traded companies. For now, the current laws in some states like Texas have restrictions on both companies' efforts to compete. Protecting the consumer or is it to assuage the fears of bankers and auto dealers?

There are a lot of parallels here. I wouldn't put it past banks to try to put up roadblocks, but I haven't heard of that going on. I tend to think of the other Tesla parallel: They are supply constrained. Just as TM cannot ship as many cars as they like, LC has more lenders than borrowers. So TM isn't rushing into new markets. There is no store in Wichita KS. LC doesn't sell in Kansas either, I suspect for the same reason. Someone up thread said that the Kansas authorities said that it wasn't them holding things up, LC didn't get back to answer their questions. It sounds like LC doesn't feel pressure to open new markets.

I ALSO think they have a motivation to keep some states FolioFN only. Think about how that bouy's the note aftermarket. Because I can ONLY buy on the aftermarket, that aids liquidity. If everyone could by new issues more people would never learn the aftermarket, and liquidity would suffer.

One other note, I have sold most of my LC shares. I don't like the prospect of the stock competing with a steady yield of the product itself. I think that will sap enthusiasm from the stock, as it has for me.

How did you manage to buy so many notes Austin? I ve committed more capital to my lending club account and can only manage to buy about $500 worth per day until I've bought up all of them. Filters similar to yours described previously in this thread

How did you manage to buy so many notes Austin? I ve committed more capital to my lending club account and can only manage to buy about $500 worth per day until I've bought up all of them. Filters similar to yours described previously in this thread

what are your filters? i generally need to do a 15% ytm and a 2% markup to get much. it is no fun to pay a little over market but that is where i am. most notes i get are 1 to 1.5% markup.

Here's a couple of quotes from a news release issued this morning by LC.

"8:00 AM ET 6/29/15 | PR NewswireLending Club (NYSE: LC), the world's largest online credit marketplace connecting borrowers and investors, announced today that its marketplace is now open to investors in Arizona and Texas." And further down the release. "Currently only residents of the following states may invest in Lending Club notes: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, KY (accredited investors), LA, MA, ME, MN, MS, MT, NH, NV, NY, RI, SD, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, or WY. All loans made by WebBank, a Utah-chartered Industrial Bank, Member FDIC."

Welcome to austin and others to the regular Lending Club investment platform. 30 states are now on board.

Welcome to austin and others to the regular Lending Club investment platform. 30 states are now on board.
Not sure he'll be that excited once he does. It takes a lot of patience by comparison to folio. Invest
... wait for it to get funded
... wait for it to get reviewed
... wait to see if borrow doesn't back out or not provide all info
... wait for first payment
... wait to see if it gets paid off real early (within a few months).
My patience has only survived because I buy enough notes that it all blends together <grin>

Not sure he'll be that excited once he does. It takes a lot of patience by comparison to folio. Invest
... wait for it to get funded
... wait for it to get reviewed
... wait to see if borrow doesn't back out or not provide all info
... wait for first payment
... wait to see if it gets paid off real early (within a few months).
My patience has only survived because I buy enough notes that it all blends together <grin>

Yeah I have never much cared that we couldn't do the initial funding process. In fact it might be net bad for note liquidity, but for selfish reasons if it makes notes get cheaper for me in the aftermarket I am ok.

If IRA accounts are available for TX I am happy however. My end game for TSLA investing is making enough to just put it all in LC and earn 8% forever.

In other news, I will post May/June in a few days. I have started drawing down my balance which caused some gyrations in the yield calculations.

May/June update

I have been performing an unintended experiment. After pushing up my balance last year with big deposits, I am drawing it down now. I am not selling notes exactly (although I do offer notes at a markup little above market value, a few get bought that way) but drawing out the cash that is accumulating. Since payments are mostly principal, cash accumulates faster than the interest income itself (about 3x faster). So I am not reinvesting and I am withdrawing all cash 2 or 3 times a month.

In theory, this shouldn't affect my yield, or it should do so only indirectly since aging notes get worse over time as a population. I see my rate of return is not really affected (slightly up actually) but oddly the income calculation was near zero in May but roughly double the normal amount in June. I checked this math a dozen times and cannot see why this happened, but the summary is that may-june together were about normal at $1500/month of income.

You can see the balance getting drawn down, and income gyrating:

LC_trend_6_15.JPG

IRR up for some reason:
LC_trend_6_15_irr.JPG

Risk balance trending up. The question is always, is the rate alarming? If I never reinvest, eventually the healthy notes would all get paid off and I would having nothing but these. That is, given enough time (less than 5 years) this line would rise to meet my balance, since I would only have un-performing notes at that point.
LC_trend_6_15_risk.JPG

austinEV -
Thanks for all your updates. Could you share an updated version of your spreadsheet (feel free to remove data)? I stated a LC account earlier this year and like the graphs you have and would like to replicate... I've built an IRR calc that I update each month, and with 6 months worth of data, its time to start looking at the trending...

As for my own experience, I'm fairly happy so far, although my IRR has bounced a bit up and down. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve when figuring out what to buy (I'm in AZ, so FolioFN-only until this month, and I think I'll stick mostly with FolioFn, but will try some direct issuance also)... I've had a couple bankruptcies so far, and sold some notes for a loss to avoid default risk. But that's why having a large portfolio is important. Most of the ones I've sold (and both bankruptcies) were from my initial batch of buys, and I've refined what I buy and am starting to see fewer notes hit grace. I've also started doing a monthly quality scrub on my portfolio and have posted some current notes where there have been significant FICO score drops for sale at a small markup. My goal is to help minimize losses and help keep the IRR higher...

I took a peek at the Lending Club web site tonight. It looks like they've greatly expanded their availability for investors. Kansas is now an option for investing. And since it was mentioned earlier, Texas looks to have full status now as well.

Is Lending Club Available in My State? - Lending Club Blog

Guess it's time to get serious about this. I'd likely do this as a IRA to avoid complexity on the tax returns.

I took a peek at the Lending Club web site tonight. It looks like they've greatly expanded their availability for investors. Kansas is now an option for investing. And since it was mentioned earlier, Texas looks to have full status now as well.

Is Lending Club Available in My State? - Lending Club Blog

Guess it's time to get serious about this. I'd likely do this as a IRA to avoid complexity on the tax returns.

Investing in LC loans as an IRA option is pretty straightforward. LC can help you to set up fund transfers or rollovers through a required third party financial administrator. Recently I set up a family trust account, also with no hassle. If you should decide to invest directly in LC, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to complete your tax return. Each year LC issues an IRS form 1099-OID (Original Issue Discount) that basically reflects your earned interest less defaults in your account for the previous year.

Resurrecting this thread gave me a chance to look at my April 2015 status. As I expected, my average loan age is now out to almost three years, also have added about 4000 new loans using the automated investing program. ROI is currently off about .2% from my previous NAR and ANAR. Still happy with the results.

Watched 60 Minutes last night. They had a segment on the FINTECH revolution (financial technology). Lending Club only received a few seconds of screen time. I found it noteworthy that the former head of Citibank made positive comments about the new financial disruptors. For those interested, looks to be about 13 minutes with a couple of commercials.
Fintech: Shaking up the financial industry

Much drama in Lending Club world. The CEO resigned in a swirl of scandal. Was caught investing in loans and having people modify loans to try to cover stuff up.

The stock has plunged to sub $4. I had sold out a while back, when I couldn't convince myself why the stock was a better investment than the product... Now it feels oversold.

The stuff I am reading says that there is no fundemental problem with the LC products, platform or the P2P model. I suspect this will blow over.

It seems that the stock might be oversold, but also the notes. I quick search shows really excellent notes discounted as much as 3%, notes which had been selling at a +1% premium just a few months ago. Might be a good time to load up.

I just bought a mess of LC 01/20/2017 6.00 C for $0.60 each. What could go wrong...