Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said the Cybertruck is literally bulletproof, I quoted it. He said it a year later on JRE, again.

So now you are just questioning specifically production? 3mm cold rolled stainless is not bulletproof, it wasn't then and it's not now.

So are you admitting he has called the CT bulletproof, but now you are saying the production CT has not been promised, because almost 100% he'll say it many more times in the future. He doesn't care about nuances like that.
Nope, I'm asking you where does it say you'll be able to purchase a bulletproof Cybertruck? Nowhere.

You're trying to conflate Elon's exhuberance and casual conversation with some kind of official word from Tesla, they are not the same thing.

Is that another goalposts move? Elon said it was "literally bulletproof" on 2 occasions, not Tesla. You were asking where Elon said it was. You didn't ask about tires or windows, just when he said it was bulletproof. He has...that's been proven.

It's not...not even to 9mm fwiw. It is bullet resistant, not bulletproof.
The issue is the original post that started this back and forth was trying to apply a vehicle level bulletproof rating to the original comments from Elon which were regarding only the skin. Two different meanings of/ contexts for bulletproof.

If Tesla says the Truck is Bullet Proof what is the Ballistic rating? Most vehicles can be armored to withstand various levels of attacks. In the United States, the National Institute of Justice rates a vehicle’s level of protection in 8 categories known as Class I, IIA, II, IIIA, III, IV, V and VI. In Europe, the vehicles normally get ratings that fall into levels B1 through B7. Or is Tesla opening themselves up to Lawsuits when a Bullet goes through the vehicle.

No, I expected thick stainless panels over unibody for enhanced stength and "exhoskeleton" to be the buzzword. 500 mile range is possible there's just no reason for them to do it with limited battery supply and no other EV trucks with that kind of range. We still don't know the range.

Actually there is a very good reason for 500 miles CT. I think I would consider getting rid of my Lightning for a 500 mile truck and so would other people including ICE owners.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I worked for Tesla for awhile and Reno has the capability to put in stamping machines and other equipment to build. Makes me wonder if it's just parts from Reno that are in the VIN or if they plan to build some there. It would make a good amount of sense to use all the space left.

You’re just saying words hoping they are true, where does he say it’s bulletproof?

Where does he say the production Cybertruck is bulletproof?

Dude, really?
Go knock on Elon's door and ask him to pantomime you your the bulletproof claim, if reading and watching video interviews with him are not clicking...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say payload capacity.

Closer to the tree:
Powered bed cover
Rear steering
Infotainment system
Native supercharger access in 2024
No paint

What I really want to know is HOW MUCH will the CT cost.
Everything else is secondary. I don't really care if it's bulletproof or not. Whether it's unibody, exoskeleton, or how many mega-castings it uses. Or whether Elon sleeps at the factory these days, or with whom. Or whether the exterior is stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, or painted cardboard.

How much will the beasty cost?
After THAT, we can discuss the rest, or move on.

a

P.S.: Actually, a choice of paint would be nice, and cheaper than paying to vinyl wrap the thing.

i just cant... the Model X has a 20% smaller battery pack, sits a lot lower to the ground and weighs ~1k lbs *less* than the Cybertruck (which is a much larger vehicle) and only gets 348 miles EPA. but yeah... 400 miles for much heavier, larger vehicle is super likely ...

Yeah. I get the feeling we won’t see over 350 epa range, at least not initially. Will suck for people that tow long distances a lot, but for everyone else that would be fine.

Stating the obvious, it all comes down to the pricing (along with the specs). IMO it needs to be priced better than an ICE truck to pull people away from what they are familiar with. The design itself will turn people away, unless the price is right and then people won’t care what it looks like or even learn to love it.

My dad’s 2018 RAM rebel was $50k brand new. He just looked into getting a new one and the MSRP for the same truck is now $70k. Not sure if that is normal in the pickup truck world, but I was surprised by that. If the CT comes in around $60k before rebates I think it will sell easily, if around $80k then I think it will be more niche. 🤷‍♂️