Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 motors $55k in 2024 (priced at launch) - 280 miles (350 in 2026)
3 motors $69k from launch - 350 miles (400 in 2026)
4 motors $99k in 2026 (introduced 2026) - 500 miles
Nice, like the mix but not the dates
What gets delivered now? 2x motor and 280 miles? You wrote 2024, you mean model year?
Why not 3x motor 7/2024
4x motor 7/2025
?
Sure we need 4x motor? Rivian seems to be moving away
Do we think there will be a CT Plaid in the future?
Crazy idea/wow

7sl13f.jpg

Nice, like the mix but not the dates
What gets delivered now? 2x motor and 280 miles? You wrote 2024, you mean model year?
Why not 3x motor 7/2024
4x motor 7/2025
?
Sure we need 4x motor? Rivian seems to be moving away
Do we think there will be a CT Plaid in the future?
Crazy idea/wow
Just guessing but I think they could say that all deliveries are 3 motors for 6 months and then 2 motors will start delivering in mid 2024. Quad could be a halo vehicle. Introduce solar panels, tank turns and other toys. 500 miles will maybe need silicon 4680s.

The tri will go for at least $100k, maybe more. If they released the tri-motor cyber truck for less of a cost of the Plaid models (tri-motor S/X) then they would be cannibalizing the current tri-motor models which currently cost $108k. Everybody who wanted a Plaid would just get the tri-motor CT for ~$40k less.. doesn’t make sense.
The previously announced price was 70k for the tri and the S plaid was what 140, 150 back then? So they have already announced the tri CT to be less. Adding 50% to the cost just won't happen.

The tri will go for at least $100k, maybe more. If they released the tri-motor cyber truck for less of a cost of the Plaid models (tri-motor S/X) then they would be cannibalizing the current tri-motor models which currently cost $108k. Everybody who wanted a Plaid would just get the tri-motor CT for ~$40k less.. doesn’t make sense.

Come to think of it, when have we ever seen any Tesla tri-motor variants be less than $100k? These are their highest profit models.

The dual-motor variant being $70-$80k is more like it. Being that the CT is Tesla’s most complicated build to date I don’t expect it to be any less. Anyone expected a CT (of any variant) for $50k is not going to be happy. The CT having the stainless body, air suspension, HW4, 4-wheel steering, on-board 120v power plugs, air conditioned seats etc… all of this makes this vehicle much more expensive. $75k for a ~350 mile range dual motor setup seems like the sweat spot. All the above mentioned including a tri-motor setup would never be priced below $100k.
Not necessarily true. More expensive does not always mean more margin. In fact they may make more margin $ on the CT then the top spec S/X since it has less parts and does not need to be painted. Painting is a giant cost on cars that I don't think most people realize.

Also I don't think we will see a lot of cross shopping a full-size truck is huge and not easy to run day to day errands. I have had a raptor and I can tell you it becomes a PITA to do basic things. Even if you have the switch happen, I think Tesla welcomes it with open arms when factoring higher margin % and $.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Not necessarily true. More expensive does not always mean more margin. In fact they may make more margin $ on the CT then the top spec S/X since it has less parts and does not need to be painted. Painting is a giant cost on cars that I don't think most people realize.

Also I don't think we will see a lot of cross shopping a full-size truck is huge and not easy to run day to day errands. I have had a raptor and I can tell you it becomes a PITA to do basic things. Even if you have the switch happen, I think Tesla welcomes it with open arms when factoring higher margin % and $.
I agree
Buyers of the CT will come from MY, wranglers, broncos, traditional PUs
But don’t think X buyers as they are more typical to BMW X5/7 and Audi/MB equiv
Or wow if they come to CT also

Paint is expensive...but so is stainless steel

Speculation
Yea man.. you have to think about business economics. Tesla currently has all four of their vehicles strategically priced. For example, the more expensive LR S/X have (just barely) better 0-60 time and range. The Model 3 performance (with a 3.1 0-60) is the only “cheaper” vehicle to match the Model S performance wise. That’s the only real performance bargain. Every other vehicle is slotted appropriately cost-to-performance wise very carefully so as to not detract buyers from the “cheaper bargain”. If they gave the cheaper vehicles more hardware/performance then nobody would buy the more expensive vehicle. If Tesla made the 3/Y with identical (or better) performance to the S/X this would create a situation where people would just buy the cheaper vehicles. This is why I don’t think Tesla will release any tri-motor vehicle for less than the current priced $108k Plaid S/X. It’s bad for their business. If Tesla releases a tri-motor CT for under 108k, they would be shooting themselves in the foot. If I was shopping the Model X plaid (@ $108k) and then the CT comes out with the same specs for ~$75k I would very quickly change my order.

Yea man.. you have to think about business economics. Tesla currently has all four of their vehicles strategically priced. For example, the more expensive LR S/X have (just barely) better 0-60 time and range. The Model 3 performance (with a 3.1 0-60) is the only “cheaper” vehicle to match the Model S performance wise. That’s the only real performance bargain. Every other vehicle is slotted appropriately cost-to-performance wise very carefully so as to not detract buyers from the “cheaper bargain”. If they gave the cheaper vehicles more hardware/performance then nobody would buy the more expensive vehicle. If Tesla made the 3/Y with identical (or better) performance to the S/X this would create a situation where people would just buy the cheaper vehicles. This is why I don’t think Tesla will release any tri-motor vehicle for less than the current priced $108k Plaid S/X. It’s bad for their business. If Tesla releases a tri-motor CT for under 108k, they would be shooting themselves in the foot. If I was shopping the Model X plaid (@ $108k) and then the CT comes out with the same specs for ~$75k I would very quickly change my order.
You're assuming they care about X sales at this point in Tesla's growth curve.
Say 100k S/X /yr, 50% X, 25% Plaid= 12.5k/yr * $110k * 40% GM = $550 Million a year or $138 Million a quarter in gross profit.

Reactions: Eric9610

There is, however, a great flaw in your reasoning. I do not believe the majority of people buy vehicles for their performance!

Nobody really cares that an x is slower than a y. They buy it for the size the comfort and the convenience features. Most people love those falcon wing doors, I know I do. And I kept my s rather than moving to a 3 because I like it's bigger size and smoother ride, as well as the dual screens. It has nothing to do with performance.

So, with Mercedes, Audi, BMW. Their performance isn't their biggest reason people buy the luxury versions. In fact with BMW the 3 series is the one that most people buy for performance, their cheapest variant.

People will buy the cyber truck simply because it's a truck and different (better?) than anything else. I'm going to guess, what with Elon's constant mention of the incredible tech, that it is going to be even more interesting to people, and, yes, more expensive than originally hoped for. But the price will have nothing to do with performance versus the other vehicles Tesla sells.

Sorry!