Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Nov 2017 I bought my S75D for a bit more than I can now buy a Long Range with same options, something I really wanted but couldn’t accept the 20k premium.

I take solace in the fact that early adopters paid through their noses for...... much less than what we get now :D

Except floor mats, free lifetime LTE connectivity, homelink, charging cables.... shall I keep going?

You're making a false dichotomy. My point is that you're proposing irrelevant metrics for tracking your financial health. Depreciation is only relevant if you expect to need to recapture the depreciated value. I, for one, do not. I would argue (like many others on this thread) that anyone who buys a personal vehicle and requires predictable depreciation in order to be financially successful, has already made their fatal error. Aren't leases (which I don't use) intended for people with such requirements? Of course you end up paying more, but nothing (including predictability) comes for free.

As I said, you can be true to your finances and use a rigorous system, or you can be poor and ignore losses as you suggest others to do.

• Funny
Reactions: jgs
You may be right. But, it’s much more than just a 10% difference. It’s more than depreciation for now.

I used to drive Audi's and everybody in the Audi community knew depreciation concept very well because Audi filled their cars with the latest tech that would become obsolete by the next model year. The depreciation on Audi's sucked on the resale market because nobody would want a car with outdated built-in navigation maps that you needed to update every year for $250 and a service center visit.

You bought into a high technology startup auto manufacturer early in the game. The car was never going to be an appreciating asset, at best you could claim the FSD technology purchase itself might be worth more in the future, but there's no way for you to separate that from the car itself. You're correct that you're paying the price in diminished resale, but a lot of people had blinders on to just how fast new cars depreciated. As a fledgling manufacturer, Tesla didn't have the benefit of 80 years of capital investiture to back their Model 3 production line. They bet the company on it and every initial high margin Model 3 sale helped keep the company afloat. If you're losing sleep over the depreciation of your Model 3 Performance, just be glad you didn't buy into an early Model X P100D for $165,000+.

Tesla never hid the fact that they were relying on higher margins for early and high end buyers to enable them to bring future models to the mass market.

• Informative
Reactions: Joshan and jerry33
I used to drive Audi's and everybody in the Audi community knew depreciation concept very well because Audi filled their cars with the latest tech that would become obsolete by the next model year. The depreciation on Audi's sucked on the resale market because nobody would want a car with outdated built-in navigation maps that you needed to update every year for $250 and a service center visit.

What?

Great post! Of course there’s no serious responses because many of these are indisputable - in particular 1,3,6 and 7.

...and to the people who act like MSRP changing by $10k overnight is nothing to bat an eye over, I have to wonder what your salaries are exactly. If you net $100k that’s 10% of your annual income. If you make $200k net that’s still 5%. You’re okay with getting scammed out of that (for “the mission”)? If you’re netting a million plus then I can see the argument. You lose 1% in scam - okay lesson learned. Personally I’m not at that level and I don’t think $60k cars are aimed at people making that kind of bank. If you’re making CEO type salary and driving a model 3 then I applaud you but I find it hard to believe that is the average person here.

You may be shocked to find out that most people buy a car to get them from A to B. Not to start a YouTube channel, brag to their friends and associates, spend all day thinking and reading about it, or to support some non-existent mission. For those people who try to make a wise car choice, taking into account other priorities in their life, Tesla is a nightmare. If we’re being honest when someone is considering a Tesla the key question is are you willing to lose $h*t tons of money relative to a similarly priced car from a legacy manufacturer?

I don't like this thinking. You bought a car because you wanna drive it or because you wanna obsess about selling it? Every tech gets cheaper. Have you ever bought a computer? That *sugar* loses value like there is no tomorrow. If you wanted the car cheaper then you should have waited as the car WILL get cheaper over time. Tesla is heavily under water so they need to be in green numbers otherwise sooner or later you will have no Tesla to go to and the value of your car will be almost zero.

People, can you please be real? New technology ALWAYS gets cheaper over time and Tesla hasn't established the market so of course they will play around. In fact, cheaper cars => more people buying => better adoption => better technology tomorrow. WIN for everyone.

So, stop complaining about a car that you had for a year and enjoy it for another 5-8 years. And if you didn't buy it for long term and you hoped to sell it than that was very unwise decision.

Just get on with it, its normal with every other tech. Buy the car, and don't check the prices ever again. Simple as that.

Any other P3D owners getting tired of continuous tesla force depreciation? Tesla has depreciated my car 25% since I bought it and it has likely depreciated another 25% due to use. I am still underwater on my 2018 vs buying new. My trade in is probably around 50% of what I paid 10 mths ago.

I get the mission and what not but $15k in price cuts less than one year of release is just ridiculous.

Teslas excessive price cuts are a disservice to its loyal customers that dropped $1000 down on a reservation 3 years ago.

Tesla now offers Model 3 Performance for less than $50,000 by unbundling features - Electrek

Buying an expensive car is all about vanity.

That may be for some people. But I couldn't give a rats ass about what kind of car people see me in. I bought a Stealth P3D because I like the way it drives and the low cost of operation. When it's just me, or me and my wife, cruising down a beautiful backroad and the car is hugging every curve and acting like an extension of my mind, it's priceless. I could deny myself that pleasure, but why?

For me, it's all about the car, it has nothing to do with vanity. If you don't appreciate driving a nice car, just drive a 12-year-old Honda Accord with a small amount of coolant smell and exhaust leaking into the cabin. You'll save money. The question is, what are you going to spend that money on that you DIDN'T spend on the Model 3 that will improve every day of your life more than the priceless feeling of driving a truly modern, safe and fun car like the Model 3. And how do you value the health, safety and comfort of you and your family?

I'm all about being financially responsible but that doesn't make me a miser.