Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my driver side replaced under warranty on my 1/2017 S90D, and my passenger side just started to fail at 49,800 miles. Took it to service center , and was told that it was not a warranty issue, that it was a normal wear and tear issue, and not covered any more. Currently escalating up the chain of command to get that covered. Since Tesla started it's belt-tightening campaign towards profitability, warranty service for current owners has become horrible - any excuse to exclude an issue from warranty coverage has become the norm. and now, to add salt to the wound, it appears my previously replaced driver side unit is now failing again, too...very frustrating that Tesla doesn't have a better relationship with the part supplier, and make them responsible for the cost of the replacements. While the service center techs have been told to play dumb on these issues, it is obviously very wide spread among Model S vehicles from late 2016 through 2018, and certainly seems to be caused by defective or sub-par parts.

Is there any way to DIY the repair? I'm going to have a serious issue with spending $1700 per light to fix this.

Same here. After warranty, this is a big problem. 3400 every other year because Tesla supplier can't make headlights?

Agreed, perhaps you can switch back to the original HID lights from 2012-2016... solid reliability, better illumination, and no failures. :cool:

I had my driver side replaced under warranty on my 1/2017 S90D, and my passenger side just started to fail at 49,800 miles. Took it to service center , and was told that it was not a warranty issue, that it was a normal wear and tear issue, and not covered any more. Currently escalating up the chain of command to get that covered. Since Tesla started it's belt-tightening campaign towards profitability, warranty service for current owners has become horrible - any excuse to exclude an issue from warranty coverage has become the norm. and now, to add salt to the wound, it appears my previously replaced driver side unit is now failing again, too...very frustrating that Tesla doesn't have a better relationship with the part supplier, and make them responsible for the cost of the replacements. While the service center techs have been told to play dumb on these issues, it is obviously very wide spread among Model S vehicles from late 2016 through 2018, and certainly seems to be caused by defective or sub-par parts.

That’s crazy that you had to escalate this. I just had both of my headlights replaced by Tesla Mobile Service (under warranty) on Sunday morning August 4. 2017 MS 75D