Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thedford would do it and it would serve both NE 2 and US 83, as well as the Nebraska National Forest in Halsey. However, there really isn't much traffic through there.
Yes, there is a decent amount of traffic at Thedford with lots of tourist traffic plus locals. . Right now, few EV because there is a lack of charging infrastructure. Yes, Thedford would be good as it is a crossroad. It would help with the long drive betweeon Hwy 2 between Grand island and Alliance ( nothing in Alliance. Mabe a campground or j1772 plug); Thedford is a very small town but there is a place, maybe two, where a charger and a place to eat, bathroom, etc would be available. I loaned there is a supercharger at MT. Katadin, Maine which is also in the middle of nowhere so I can go from Boston to mt. Katahdin but I can’t go to multiple places in Nebraska or Kansas north/ south.

• Informative
Reactions: unk45
I can go from Boston to mt. Katahdin but I can’t go to multiple places in Nebraska or Kansas north/ south
There's a 4-lane interstate highway (I-95) between Canada and Key West, spanning the eastern seaboard of the US that goes near Mt. Katahdin. It was built by the federal government to move militaries, not to bring people to Mt Katahdin. There's a lot more traffic along it than in NE 83, a state highway.
This isn't about you or me. Remember the Nebraska motto: "It isn't for everyone"? Its appeal is its sparse population of good people. There are about 100 million people who live along I-95, they don't even see each other when they pass. On NE 83, cars passing waive at each other (item 3 at 14 Things Only Those From Nebraska Know To Be True) but there's probably less than 100,000 people living along it (The county, where Thedford is located has under 800 people in the whole county). That makes NE 83 a friendly place but it doesn't make a business case for installing a Supercharger in Thedford.
Perhaps you can talk with folks in the county government about applying for Nebraska conservancy funds to build a charging station there.

Reactions: kayak1 and Prairie
You might find Nebraskans to be less friendly when you start inquiring about installing a Tesla supercharger in their small town!
True, dat.

Many of our Cornhusker colleagues yearn for those halcyon days of 1955.

My dad (1918-2013) was born in Alda and grew up in Wood River. His brother (six years older) lived most of his adult life in Central City. He farmed around Central City and also near Kimball in the panhandle. Their father was a dirt-poor sharecropper who believed only in the Bible and his Nineteenth Century values.

In other words, my personal experience from my paternal ancestors is one of extreme conservatism and blinders for social causes and change. It took my mom (from California) decades to get my dad to open his eyes and ears and start embracing change. Not all change is bad.

You have to get people out of their echo chambers. But this is an almost insurmountable task for small-town America.

There's a 4-lane interstate highway (I-95) between Canada and Key West, spanning the eastern seaboard of the US that goes near Mt. Katahdin. It was built by the federal government to move militaries, not to bring people to Mt Katahdin. There's a lot more traffic along it than in NE 83, a state highway.
This isn't about you or me. Remember the Nebraska motto: "It isn't for everyone"? Its appeal is its sparse population of good people. There are about 100 million people who live along I-95, they don't even see each other when they pass. On NE 83, cars passing waive at each other (item 3 at 14 Things Only Those From Nebraska Know To Be True) but there's probably less than 100,000 people living along it (The county, where Thedford is located has under 800 people in the whole county). That makes NE 83 a friendly place but it doesn't make a business case for installing a Supercharger in Thedford.
Perhaps you can talk with folks in the county government about applying for Nebraska conservancy funds to build a charging station there.
Yes, it’s wide open spaces. And yes, I’ve composed letters in my head to state agencies to include economic development, transportation on charging infrastructure. Need to get it written and mailed. Even eastern Neb is deplorable ( Nebraska City anyone. Main route from I-29 kansas city to I -80 ). In Western Ne. if you want tourists and their considerable money you need reliable fast charging. SCOTTSBLUFF? Chadron? Look at the # of stations in Colorado, then look at Neb. We’ve got folks flying in on private planes to their investment ranches. Local golf course got urgent call to put in charger for a high end patron. The story is you can get there but you can’t get back. The future is now and electric vehicles are going to increase. We need infrastructure and a change in state attitude. I’m heading from Valentine to Toadstool Park and other attractions today in 16 yr old ICE car because once my Tesla LR arrives, I won’t be able to do it. it is “not drivable” by two route planners.

Reactions: KJD
Do we blame small towns or do we blame religion?
Both. Way back in 1971, a woman from the Univ of NH went to the Colorado School of Mines for her Masters degree. On a visit back, she said that out west, a group formed a town. If someone didn’t agree, they ran them out of town and they formed their own town. Hence, we have Catholic towns, and Methodist towns, etc. A farmer I was consulting with in eastern Neb. didn’t think he could approach the town council with any hope of success because he was not of the dominant denomination. In the last 12 mo, two ministers in town were forced out because they didn’t go along with the pervasive, conservative, far right politics of the congregations. We have Q- Anon. Some small towns will stay that way forever or until they die. Recently heard of large ranch wanted to install solar on a barn. Very sizable installation. Local paper wouldn’t let him because they “already met their 2% require green energy.” After much haggling, the very substantial rancher got to install a solar roof. Whitman area. Nope, Nebraska isn’t for everyone. But we’re digressing. Local guy, not rancher, is seriously considering F-150 Lightning for his business. Not sure about charging and range in winter when on calls out of town. Infrastructure.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and DrGriz
Splitter!

On I-10, Beaumont, TX will split 118.7, 57.4 miles from Baytown, TX and 61.9 miles to Lake Charles, LA.

Reactions: PLUS EV and mociaf9
Nebraska City anyone
Nebraska City is fine with a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter. There are stations in town and in nearby Syracuse, NE so you even have fast backups. It would probably be nice for Tesla to put in a Supercharger there but, on the global scale, it isn't a high-traffic area.
Valentine to Toadstool Park
This is quite remote but, while not overly convenient, can certainly be reached by most long-range Teslas. If you base out of Chadron or Crawford, NE, there are public J-1772s as well as RV parks at which to charge overnight, supporting your return and excursions during the day. With Superchargers, you can base out of Lusk, WY where there is a Supercharger (albeit small and sometimes slow).
Your biggest issue will probably be how comfortable you are with driving your shiny new Tesla on gravel roads since pavement is also somewhat scarce out there.
it is “not drivable” by two route planners
Route planners, like online-navigation apps are city tools. They generally don't do much good in these remote regions. Plugshare and a little pioneering spirit are needed, as they have always been out on the prairie. Remember that gas vehicles weren't considered completely viable out there until relatively recently since horses could feed anywhere and gasoline was scarce. Even today, the local ranches have to keep their own gas and diesel tanks.

Reactions: Prairie and wws
You might find Nebraskans to be less friendly when you start inquiring about installing a Tesla supercharger in their small town!
I've witnessed mostly support for EVs in rural areas, even in western Nebraska. In general, I've seen as much support there as I have anywhere else in the world (I get around) and certainly no more resistance.
I know of more than one rancher who drive Teslas when viable (not hauling). Many lament not having and EV truck.
You'll even find J-1772 chargers around (mostly Chargepoint) in some of the larger rural towns.
The worst related thing I've seen is the anti-wind FUD conspiracy pervasiveness. It probably is amplified at church but the concern is perceived health affects. I find it ironic when the quintessential icon of the prairies is the windmill but logic and hysteria don't commingle. Of course, the flashing aircraft-warning lights at night on the wind turbines in eastern Colorado can almost trigger seizures, even in me. Some day, I may try to address this issue.
Powerful dealership and ethanol lobbies persist but, in reality, dealerships are sometimes the only viable local businesses in small towns. Unlike the huge megadealers in the cities, they truly mutually love each other. It's hard to knock ethanol if it brings you above the poverty level when all your land can sustain is grain. Otherwise, you may not be able to afford a Tesla and pay for your kids' college and your medical care. This is a sad reality but understandable.
An RV park owner once was skeptical and reminded us of the pile of broken windmill blades he'd heard was stacking up somewhere (he saw pictures on the internet). He was aware of the new Ford EV pickup but was worried about someone coming to take his beloved classic Chevy pickups away from him. He needed the pickup to deliver things for his day (non RV-park) job. I reminded him that Chevy was talking about an electric Silverado. Clearly, he had given thought to the idea of EVs and alternative energy, even if he was still at a misguided skeptical level.
He charged the full overnight rate to charge our Teslas although we were using them all night long so that wasn't unreasonable. When I reminded him that his barn with a huge south-facing roof might eliminate his electric bill if he'd put solar on it, he got an inquisitive look on his face as the gears clicked.
I've also been approached by a small town's 'city engineer' who saw us charging on a 14-50 outlet in town. He was interested in what it might take to get a fast charger installed in his small town to attract future drivers. He brought his teen-age daughter around later - she wanted to see a Tesla (that's the future).
Please don't let your urban prejudiced biases close your mind. Most people everywhere are basically good, granted it is the others we need to worry about, partly because they can bias the good ones.

Got a friend who is moving to Santa Fe, out there now house hunting, he is disappointed in the ability to drive his Model Y around the middle of the state:

PNG image.png

I told him they are keeping those things away from Roswell for a reason! It's the same with CCS:

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 12.25.57 PM.png

There are plans to put in dual CHAdeMO/CCS stations in to Allsupps convenience stores by Francis Energy in Roswell, Hobbs, and Carlsbad, NM.
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 12.56.38 PM.png

Unfortunately, Francis's reliability is spotty in OK, where I've run into them.
Eastern NM, however, because of White Sands Missile Range is very isolated. like the Nebraska badlands, there are also few, if any, economic drivers for building any kind of infrastructure out there. Thank god for UFOs or we'd never have heard of Roswell and the Caverns are pretty much the only reason Carlsbad is on the map.

Yeah, I think he was planning a trip to the caverns and was stymied by the fast charging
hot off the presses on just this topic:

Nebraska City is fine with a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter. There are stations in town and in nearby Syracuse, NE so you even have fast backups. It would probably be nice for Tesla to put in a Supercharger there but, on the global scale, it isn't a high-traffic area.

This is quite remote but, while not overly convenient, can certainly be reached by most long-range Teslas. If you base out of Chadron or Crawford, NE, there are public J-1772s as well as RV parks at which to charge overnight, supporting your return and excursions during the day. With Superchargers, you can base out of Lusk, WY where there is a Supercharger (albeit small and sometimes slow).
Your biggest issue will probably be how comfortable you are with driving your shiny new Tesla on gravel roads since pavement is also somewhat scarce out there.

Route planners, like online-navigation apps are city tools. They generally don't do much good in these remote regions. Plugshare and a little pioneering spirit are needed, as they have always been out on the prairie. Remember that gas vehicles weren't considered completely viable out there until relatively recently since horses could feed anywhere and gasoline was scarce. Even today, the local ranches have to keep their own gas and diesel tanks.
This 73 yr old is going to take up car camping so I can charge overnight at the excellent campgrounds I visited recently in ICE to check them out. J1772s at 6 kw per hour is a joke. There is one in Chadron outside an eatery.

I've witnessed mostly support for EVs in rural areas, even in western Nebraska. In general, I've seen as much support there as I have anywhere else in the world (I get around) and certainly no more resistance.
I know of more than one rancher who drive Teslas when viable (not hauling). Many lament not having and EV truck.
You'll even find J-1772 chargers around (mostly Chargepoint) in some of the larger rural towns.
The worst related thing I've seen is the anti-wind FUD conspiracy pervasiveness. It probably is amplified at church but the concern is perceived health affects. I find it ironic when the quintessential icon of the prairies is the windmill but logic and hysteria don't commingle. Of course, the flashing aircraft-warning lights at night on the wind turbines in eastern Colorado can almost trigger seizures, even in me. Some day, I may try to address this issue.
Powerful dealership and ethanol lobbies persist but, in reality, dealerships are sometimes the only viable local businesses in small towns. Unlike the huge megadealers in the cities, they truly mutually love each other. It's hard to knock ethanol if it brings you above the poverty level when all your land can sustain is grain. Otherwise, you may not be able to afford a Tesla and pay for your kids' college and your medical care. This is a sad reality but understandable.
An RV park owner once was skeptical and reminded us of the pile of broken windmill blades he'd heard was stacking up somewhere (he saw pictures on the internet). He was aware of the new Ford EV pickup but was worried about someone coming to take his beloved classic Chevy pickups away from him. He needed the pickup to deliver things for his day (non RV-park) job. I reminded him that Chevy was talking about an electric Silverado. Clearly, he had given thought to the idea of EVs and alternative energy, even if he was still at a misguided skeptical level.
He charged the full overnight rate to charge our Teslas although we were using them all night long so that wasn't unreasonable. When I reminded him that his barn with a huge south-facing roof might eliminate his electric bill if he'd put solar on it, he got an inquisitive look on his face as the gears clicked.
I've also been approached by a small town's 'city engineer' who saw us charging on a 14-50 outlet in town. He was interested in what it might take to get a fast charger installed in his small town to attract future drivers. He brought his teen-age daughter around later - she wanted to see a Tesla (that's the future).
Please don't let your urban prejudiced biases close your mind. Most people everywhere are basically good, granted it is the others we need to worry about, partly because they can bias the good ones.
Except in Whitman where the local electric had met their 2% green energy quota and wouldn’t let a rancher put a solar roof on his very large barn. So nice. I don’t understand the logic but someone told me the electric company does want to buy electricity, they only want to sell it and a large ranch operation uses a lot of electricity. Rancher wants to save money. Conflicting interests impede progress. Some ranches out here only got electricity as recently as 1947. Mind blowing to city slickers.

Reactions: PACEMD
Who wants to drive interstates? Boring. The tragedy is all the great non-interstates that don't have any fast charging. While there are a couple of gaps on the interstates for those who just want to get somewhere fast, what I really want to push on Tesla is a map of the roads driven by people for whom the journey is the reward that are challenging in a Tesla. You don't always have to put a supercharger on them. A DC Fast station with a CHAdeMO adapter donated on a tether is fine for these roads, and a CCS adapter once you have the retrofit CCS kit available for all cars.

Splitter!

Chops 40-odd miles off the biggest gap in the east, cutting it below 140.