Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance & Forward Collision Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen a couple of posts on this but not for some time, so apologies if I am repeating.
I have a 2020 M3 and only recently the Forward Collision warning has started to go off much more frequently, sometimes several times in a short trip. Previously it may have sounded maybe once a month. Usually it’s for something so remote it’s frankly ridiculous, like a pedestrian on the pavement on the other side of a four lane road, or it will pick one car in a line of parked cars. There is a small section of road where I live and it will go off on there more often than not, even when the road is empty. Other times it will completely ignore a pedestrian in the path of the vehicle.
It’s alarming for passengers as they think there must be something wrong for the car to make out that WW3 is starting, and they usually prefer to blame the driver, because the car couldn’t be wrong, could it?
Similarly, the Lane Departure Avoidance has become much more active and yesterday actually put me in danger because it decided to steer the car, because I touched the white line on a very gradual bend on an empty country road with visibility of at least 1/4 of a mile.
All this just serves to confirm my view that FSD is nowhere near ready and in reality, light years away. FSD simply can’t function to that level.
I looked up the systems in the manual and I see they can be disabled, but this has to be done every trip.
So, my questions are, is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to turn these systems off without having to do so every trip?
Driving with these systems enabled is not really an option when they work like this and with my renewal approaching, I am starting to think I should look elsewhere.

Yes, for me seems it has gotten worse with recent updates.

Most recently I got one for swerving gently over to the side of the road towards some parked cars to let a car going the opposite way have some more space to go past - it was very convinced I was about to hit a parked car quite some distance away while I was going about 17mph and there was ample time to swerve back out. Also got one for a cyclist on the opposite side of the road - he was just riding along near the kerb and literally nowhere near us.

I'd be happy to turn these off but I guess there's some sort of safety rating that goes along with them existing.

As seems to be the standard with these cars eventually there'll probably be an update that improves things, only to be followed by one a bit later that sends them backwards again.

For us the combination of features, etc. means the Tesla is probably the only car that really does the job for us still, in spite of issues like these. I remain hopeful the other manufacturers get it together down the line so I can have a car that's a bit less experimental.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Yup, noticed since 2023.6.x it's become overly sensitive on what you have highlighted above. It was a little embarrassing when driving a couple of friends over the weekend because of it - had to assure them I'm not a bad/reckless driver!

+1.
I'm not very experienced with how it works but since last update Ive had at least 2 or three times I've had the warning about forward collision for a car ahead that was braking. Pardon my french but I sh*t myself when it happened first time. It showed the car ahead red on the display, but it was so far ahead I had no idea what the alarm was for to start with. Pretty sure if that car had been stationary and I just took my foot off the accelerator the car would have come to a stop before reaching it without the need for brakes.

I love that the car does it, I just feel it needs to chill out a bit.

It seems to reset the warning to ‘medium’ after every update - whereas I usually have it off or ‘late’

I’ve turned the auto steer bit of lane departure off as had issues with it before (non Tesla) but have ‘warning’ on which vibrates through the steering wheel when lane departure detected (although I also forgot about that and initially thought there was a problem with the car 😂)

I have seen a couple of posts on this but not for some time, so apologies if I am repeating.
I have a 2020 M3 and only recently the Forward Collision warning has started to go off much more frequently, sometimes several times in a short trip. Previously it may have sounded maybe once a month. Usually it’s for something so remote it’s frankly ridiculous, like a pedestrian on the pavement on the other side of a four lane road, or it will pick one car in a line of parked cars. There is a small section of road where I live and it will go off on there more often than not, even when the road is empty. Other times it will completely ignore a pedestrian in the path of the vehicle.
It’s alarming for passengers as they think there must be something wrong for the car to make out that WW3 is starting, and they usually prefer to blame the driver, because the car couldn’t be wrong, could it?
Similarly, the Lane Departure Avoidance has become much more active and yesterday actually put me in danger because it decided to steer the car, because I touched the white line on a very gradual bend on an empty country road with visibility of at least 1/4 of a mile.
All this just serves to confirm my view that FSD is nowhere near ready and in reality, light years away. FSD simply can’t function to that level.
I looked up the systems in the manual and I see they can be disabled, but this has to be done every trip.
So, my questions are, is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to turn these systems off without having to do so every trip?
Driving with these systems enabled is not really an option when they work like this and with my renewal approaching, I am starting to think I should look elsewhere.
Yes, crappy lane departure avoidance system is the best c reason not to go fsd if it is anywhere near as incompetent as the compulsory lane departure junk software.

I have precisely the opposite problem. I got my M3P last weekend, and I can’t get it to warn about anything. I’ve rebooted, and carefully checked all the settings, but still nothing. I went out this evening on a back road and gradually drifted over the line, and no warning at all. Tried all kinds of scenarios and got no warning. Ever. Sometimes the line I was drifting over would turn blue, so it does know that I’m leaving my lane. But no warning ever.

I drove a friend’s M3LR and got plenty of warnings when appropriate.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

because of teslavision.
it thinks it sees cars coming infront, etc.

another stupid outcome from switching to TV

2020 M3P, Collision avoidance warning seems random ish - I get the alarm for no obvious reason occasionally, but i also get it frequently as I pass the same spot - its at a part of the road where there is a small island - just big enough for maybe two people to stand on in-between the two lanes - it has a keep left bollard on it - the road itself sort on snakes left - the island and back to the right after the island and its all 15 mtrs from a mini roundabout - so its low speed too - and that bloody warning chime sounds 9 out of 10 times i take that route. The car never used to do that and it all started maybe 3 months ago.

As the system has to be disabled on every drive I cant be arsed to keep doing that so its just fingers crossed a future update will rectify it.

As an aside - I had to pop up to Mansfield from Leicester, used the M1 motorway with FSD engaged (not used FSD for a few months)- initially I thought it was doing OK, however, then it started disengaging auto steer - couldn't see a reason for this but it was consistent at disengaging every time i drove over the metal inserts into the road where a bridge starts and ends and at most exits. On the way back the car only disengaged once but i set the speed to max 65 and sat behind a high sided truck doing 60, the car was suggesting an overtake but for the first time ever i touched the "cancel suggested lane change" dialogue box - hoping that would be it for the rest of the journey but when another car overtook me and the lane was then clear the same dialogue box keeps coming back - so it seems a pointless exercise to have that box and cancel it because its exactly the same if you just ignore the box - no bongs or anything - so i ignored it and just kept following the truck - The car did pretty good too, nicely positioned in the lane and no little touches of braking that the car did on the way up the motorway, got off at junction 21 southbound - for those that know there is always a queue to get off and the motorway is 4 lanes wide from LFE services to the junction, the car played nicely, when we were stationary the car left a nice distance to the car in front and as we started rolling again it accelerated like i would do rather that how it used to be - a long delay from the car in front moving and snail like acceleration - Car did well - then ****ed it all up completely as I came to the end of the off lane (it has a separate filter lane to the left and the car didn't know what lane to take. But, I didn't get a single wipe of the wipers - so that's a big improvement.

2020 M3P, Collision avoidance warning seems random ish - I get the alarm for no obvious reason occasionally, but i also get it frequently as I pass the same spot - its at a part of the road where there is a small island - just big enough for maybe two people to stand on in-between the two lanes - it has a keep left bollard on it - the road itself sort on snakes left - the island and back to the right after the island and its all 15 mtrs from a mini roundabout - so its low speed too - and that bloody warning chime sounds 9 out of 10 times i take that route. The car never used to do that and it all started maybe 3 months ago.

As the system has to be disabled on every drive I cant be arsed to keep doing that so its just fingers crossed a future update will rectify it.

As an aside - I had to pop up to Mansfield from Leicester, used the M1 motorway with FSD engaged (not used FSD for a few months)- initially I thought it was doing OK, however, then it started disengaging auto steer - couldn't see a reason for this but it was consistent at disengaging every time i drove over the metal inserts into the road where a bridge starts and ends and at most exits. On the way back the car only disengaged once but i set the speed to max 65 and sat behind a high sided truck doing 60, the car was suggesting an overtake but for the first time ever i touched the "cancel suggested lane change" dialogue box - hoping that would be it for the rest of the journey but when another car overtook me and the lane was then clear the same dialogue box keeps coming back - so it seems a pointless exercise to have that box and cancel it because its exactly the same if you just ignore the box - no bongs or anything - so i ignored it and just kept following the truck - The car did pretty good too, nicely positioned in the lane and no little touches of braking that the car did on the way up the motorway, got off at junction 21 southbound - for those that know there is always a queue to get off and the motorway is 4 lanes wide from LFE services to the junction, the car played nicely, when we were stationary the car left a nice distance to the car in front and as we started rolling again it accelerated like i would do rather that how it used to be - a long delay from the car in front moving and snail like acceleration - Car did well - then ****ed it all up completely as I came to the end of the off lane (it has a separate filter lane to the left and the car didn't know what lane to take. But, I didn't get a single wipe of the wipers - so that's a big improvement.
what FSD? You do not have FSD running in your car... It is EAP.

what FSD? You do not have FSD running in your car... It is EAP.
Well technically if the car was sold with FSD it was FSD running even if was operationally using the same functionality that comes with EAP. It may have also been running non EAP parts of the FSD package. FSD is still a product (and small superset of EAP) irrespective of whether it is the City Streets FSD beta part of it that it is operational at that point in time, which clearly it won’t be.

Possibly would have been better to say which parts were active, like NoA or stop line control, the latter being FSD only, even in UK.

Well technically if the car was sold with FSD it was FSD running even if was operationally using the same functionality that comes with EAP. It may have also been running non EAP parts of the FSD package. FSD is still a product (and small superset of EAP) irrespective of whether it is the City Streets FSD beta part of it that it is operational at that point in time, which clearly it won’t be.

Possibly would have been better to say which parts were active, like NoA or stop line control, the latter being FSD only, even in UK.
technically it is sold with it.. but it is not FSD what he uses.

Model 3 P is sold with track mode as well - but if you have not enabled it - you are not using it ;)

technically it is sold with it.. but it is not FSD what he uses.
They are using FSD but not City Streets beta. You are confusing City Streets with FSD - it is part of FSD but it is not wholly FSD. Even in UK, FSD is more than EAP (just) and they well have had other FSD only functionality in operation.

If they said that they were using FSD City Streets beta, or even FSD beta (even though FSD is still beta functionality in UK, it’s also a widely accepted common term for city streets), I would have agreed with you, but they simply said they were using FSD which is the sold package and didn’t break it down into what parts of FSD they were actually using.

Using your analogy, it’s like using a Performance Model 3 in chill mode - it doesn’t turn it into a LR AWD.

They are using FSD but not City Streets beta. You are confusing City Streets with FSD - it is part of FSD but it is not wholly FSD. Even in UK, FSD is more than EAP (just) and they well have had other FSD only functionality in operation.

If they said that they were using FSD City Streets beta, or even FSD beta (even though FSD is still beta functionality in UK, it’s also a widely accepted common term for city streets), I would have agreed with you, but they simply said they were using FSD which is the sold package and didn’t break it down into what parts of FSD they were actually using.

Using your analogy, it’s like using a Performance Model 3 in chill mode - it doesn’t turn it into a LR AWD.
but it is not FSD. it is EAP