Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of 360 degree camera (birds eye view)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like there are 5 x 360 degree environment cameras on the A8:

2019-audi-a8-self-driving-hardware_100614060_m.jpg

The birds eye view is a nice feature. I have it on Mercedes E250. One great feature: pulling up to a barrier - just select front camera and you can pull up close without scraping the lowest part of the front of your car.
This is the best suggestion of them all...a front camera. With our front spoiler that is so low it would be a real scratch saver...

On the new Model 3 page (Model 3 | Tesla), it states 360:
  • Rear, side and forward-facing cameras provide maximum visibility
Does the Model 3 have a forward facing camera? I rented a new Pathfinder on vacation recently and it had the 360 view and It was really helpful for parking as you can see it both going forward and in reverse. I think it would be a great feature to add if possible. Also, a way to record (and loop over old recordings) would be cool from a safety and security perspective. I have been looking at Tesla style android auto tablets for my old Lexus GX 470 and many state that is a feature of 360 views you can add on.

Does the Model 3 have a forward facing camera? I rented a new Pathfinder on vacation recently and it had the 360 view and It was really helpful for parking as you can see it both going forward and in reverse. I think it would be a great feature to add if possible. Also, a way to record (and loop over old recordings) would be cool from a safety and security perspective. I have been looking at Tesla style android auto tablets for my old Lexus GX 470 and many state that is a feature of 360 views you can add on.

It does but not in the right place to provide a proper bird's eye view around the front bumper. the front camera on the Tesla cars is around the rear view mirrors.

Of course, Autopilot

It does not have downward facing 180 degree cameras to assist with parking though.

This is one item that I'll really miss when our Nissan Rogue lease is up. It's great for seeing what's around the vehicle, knowing how close the front bumper is to a wall, checking your distance from the curb when parallel parking, and really helpful when parallel parking in a tight spot to see front and rear. I do wish Tesla would offer this handy feature.

Why Tesla refuses to add a feature its customers have repeatedly asked for is the big mystery to me. The self parking feature works so poorly it is virtually unusable and the location of the ultrasonic sensors it too high for detecting curbs that you can scrape your spoiler on or curbs to rub the rims on. This seems like basic engineering 101. 1. ALL OBJECTS ARE NOT AT UPPER BUMPER HEIGHT that can damage your car. 2. Ultrasonics are not reliable as we can see it losing detection and then regaining detection, etc. 3. A low mounted camera system allows the human driver to see the obstacles and avoid them. 4. At a minimum, a low mounted front camera would significantly reduce the potential for damage to the front of the vehicle and it is cheap to add.

My lowly Bolt has this and my wife loves it because it makes parking easy for her. At the present time auto park can't find parking spaces because ultrasonics don't cut it. Mine never shows a parking space when I try to go slow and even stop after passing one (two cars with space between) but will show the P when I am in a middle lane at a stop light with cars all around me and no gap more than a few feet between any of the cars (not enough to even think about parallel parking). What makes it think that is a parking spot is a complete mystery. Auto park will become practical when it can detect parking spaces whether it be defined by other vehicles or objects or line markings. This means using cameras, not ultrasonics and recognizing a parking space with adequate space. It should also recognize that if there is a vehicle behind you, it can't just back up and park. Lack of rear radar and not using rear camera makes this a joke as to FSD going and parking itself.

It seems to me like existing teslas won't ever be able to offer the 360 view most other mid and upper range cars offer due to the placement of their cameras.

One thing they could easily do is show the two side camera feeds on either side of the rear camera feed as you're backing up. This would be an extremely easy feature to add and would really improve visibility when backing up. I wonder why they haven't added something like this already?

They could easily add another camera to the front bumper.
They could, but they are not about to go retrofitting everyone's cars, maybe they will add one there in the future but it will almost certainly not happen before the end of the year during this model 3 delivery crunch.
Having used these 360 systems before I found it most helpful for backing into spots and parallel parking. I personally feel like the solution I proposed earlier where they allow users to see the side camera streams would work almost as well for backing up with no needed hardware changes.

They could, but they are not about to go retrofitting everyone's cars, maybe they will add one there in the future but it will almost certainly not happen before the end of the year during this model 3 delivery crunch.
Having used these 360 systems before I found it most helpful for backing into spots and parallel parking. I personally feel like the solution I proposed earlier where they allow users to see the side camera streams would work almost as well for backing up with no needed hardware changes.
The side cameras do not point down far enough that you'd avoid scraping your rims.

Of course, Autopilot

It does not have downward facing 180 degree cameras to assist with parking though.
Got it. I saw somewhere else that someone said they did not have the front camera but do see it listed on the autopilot page. Getting my AWD 3 in a few months so just looking at all the reviews and discussions. Would be cool if they could at least approximate the 360 view in some way. I did find it useful for front view parking to make sure you do not run into something in the front. Maybe down the road there would be a way to add in a front bumper camera as an upgrade. Can't be that much, as long as you could plug it in somewhere...and with full self driving, it said number of cameras goes to 8 from 4, so maybe that includes more in the front....Maybe that is worth the $3000 upgrade now vs later?

Oh I've never seen the fender view. I've only seen the view from all the other cameras from the electrek article.
I had assumed with the camera mounted so low that you could see the side of the car and ground from it.
Where can I see the view from the front fender cameras?
I mean from that particular camera you can see toward the back of the car and downwards so it might work. It'd let you sort of see the curb, but it's a little iffy if that'd prevent people from scraping their wheels.

4Za6zpk.jpg

Can't be that much, as long as you could plug it in somewhere...and with full self driving, it said number of cameras goes to 8 from 4, so maybe that includes more in the front....Maybe that is worth the $3000 upgrade now vs later?

All the model 3s will come with the same number of cameras.

I mean from that particular camera you can see toward the back of the car and downwards so it might work. It'd let you sort of see the curb, but it's a little iffy if that'd prevent people from scraping their wheels.

4Za6zpk.jpg

4Za6zpk.jpg

4Za6zpk.jpg

4Za6zpk.jpg

this is what i was referring to on the autopilot page - Autopilot

Full Self-Driving Capability
Build upon Enhanced Autopilot and order Full Self-Driving Capability on your Tesla. This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.

It is confusing because at the top of the page it says all Teslas have the hardware needed...8 cameras, but then down below in the Full Self driving section is say build upon it and order full self driving to double the number of active cameras - maybe they mean they just turn on the cameras that are already there....? Hence, really just a software update.

Yeah I'm a little concerned that tesla has painted itself into a corner the way it has marketed FSD as enabling the side cameras.
If they now enable increasingly common features that use side cameras like lane watch and 360 for everyone people who bought FSD could complain that the sales people told them that you had to buy FSD to enable the side cameras. If they enabled it for just the FSD folks, everyone else could complain that those features have nothing to do with FSD.