Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to NY Kick-off Rally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's tough with a car of any powertrain. Even if they break the last EV record, this one will probably be beat by another run in the summer. Let's all wish them the best of luck!

I'm in Telluride, not far from route, and it's snowing hard. Along I-70, where they are heading, snowing hard would be an understatement - it's a blizzard.

http://coloradolivecams.com/vailpasscam.htm

They're approaching the Glenwood Springs SC:
Twitter

Then the distance from Silverthorne SC to the next in Cheyenne, WY, is 164 miles. If that margin gets too tight, are they going to use a HPWC at the Park Meadows Tesla store?

Last edited:
Catch Tesla LA-NY Trip Team

Note: This event is crossposted in Midwest forum. Please head over to link below for planning.

Catch Tesla LA-NY Trip Team

Tesla team was heading towards Cheyenne, WY at 700 am. So they are roughly 1000 miles/15 hours away from Rockford, IL. There are 11 supercharger stations in between, we can count atleast an hour for each, so I think they are atleast 24 hours away from Chicago. They will most likely reach Chicago tomorrow morning. This is all presuming they are posting pics right away, which I don't think so. They will reach Toledo around noon. They will be on I-90 corridor in early morning.

Should we organize a meet at Rockford, Mishawaka, Maumee and Macedonia supercharger at following times? Note the overlapping times. I am sure we will be able to catch them. Would be wonderful if a group which catches them can notify the group ahead.

(1) Rockford - 700 to 900 am
(2) Mishawaka - 800 to 1000 am
(3) Maumee - 1000 am to 100 pm
(4) Macedonia - 100 pm to 300 pm

Tomorrow is Saturday and can afford to waste time. Only problem is the weather again. Just wanted to know what everybody thinks before we plan something.

Last edited:
Pretty amazing they are already in Wyoming. It snowed 2 feet yesterday along I-70 corridor.

Amazing indeed. At around 2:40am there was tweet by TM that the rally team are at 1003.4 miles since leaving LA City Hall. At around 10:57 am there was another tweet that team reached Cheyenney SC, which is at mile 1242. So conditions were so horrendous that it took them more than 8 hours to drive 239 miles!

There are 11 supercharger stations in between, we can count atleast an hour for each, so I think they are atleast 24 hours away from Chicago. They will most likely reach Chicago tomorrow morning.

Do you really think they'd need to stop for an hour at each? With the route complete, you'd think they would be practicing the Tesla-recommended "80% SOC in 20-minutes" method and move on, unless the next gap was particularly long or had major elevation changes.

@Mayhamm

Nope I don't think so they will stop at each station for 1 hour, but was adjusting it for multiple variables (pulling in, plugging, getting back on the road, weather). Tweets just got updated.

First real time update of the trip. Somebody spotted the team and tweeted. The trip is already at Hot Springs, SD. Only 12 or so hours away from Madison and Rockford. 6 or so superchargers in between. May be add another 2 hours. This makes it highly plausible that they will be at either Madison or Rockford around 6-7 am.

Hot Springs, SD - 15:30
Worthington, MN - 22:00
Albert Lea, MN - 1:00
Madison, WI - 6:00
Rockford, IL - 7:00

Pics from Wed night send off

Here are some pics from the send off on Wed night at the Design Studio. Also a link to a video of the countdown.

I spent some time with the crew and the drivers. They said there were 12 drivers/crew. They were a mix of Tesla employees from different parts of the company. Some from the SC group, maintenance, etc. they had a great group of guys doing video, complete with a quad copter drone.

Elie from WH Al & Eds was there with a few massively tricked out cars. Note his new Tesla door lights in one of the pics. These were very cool rides.

Video: Instagram

Enjoy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 229
This is the second re-design yes. Third overall design.

1) Original "Phallus"
2) Flat-head screwdriver
3) Current

Definitely prefer the current one over the other two.

I think #2 and #3 are the same. The current one definitely resembles a flat-head screwdriver. I suppose there could have been another flat-head version, but I've never seen it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some other pictures of the current one:
IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg