Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KWh/mile in the refresh Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in getting KWh/mile figures from other refresh Model S LR owners. Our S is just a year old, has almost 8,000 miles on it and has gotten 288 KWh/mile over those 8,000 miles. Yesterday on a 57 mile trip we got 258 KWh/ mile. I thought it might be informative to compare our experience with others. Comments on what your driving habits are could be helpful. We consistently travel a bit over the speed limit - nothing we've ever been stopped for. When passing I prefer spending as little time in the oncoming lane as possible :D. My wife is much more restrained. We keep the car in Sport mode all the time. I think it helps me appreciate the car more if I get rudely pushed back in the seat once in a while. We also use the regen pretty regularly.
It would also be interesting to compare figures with other models. I don't know whether this has been done before or not.

Other Model here. 6/21 MX LR. Replaced a 9/20 Raven MXLR+. New one EPA at 348 while the 2020 was the + model so EPA at 371.

Since have only driven in the summer in Wis, MN and MI, no cold to affect so at 4000 miles is at 277 kwh/mile. Drive mostly rural and small towns so limited distance traveling over 60 mph. Energy rating is from the energy graph (I haven't updated software so still have that.) it looks like the refresh car is rated at about 281 kwh/mile when I line up so actual is right on the Rated line.

MX Raven energy was within 2 of this also on graph and average. IN THE SUMMER. It's normally 60 to 80 deg here so not much AC and no heat. You should add location, speeding over 65mph, and climate to the discussion as That changed average more than how we drive acceleration wise. Winter, we went from 279 to 330 - >360 kwh/mile. It sucked. And probably driving nicer as less traction in the snow. Will see this year how the heat pump on the refresh helps. Should be better.

Last edited:
I am interested in getting KWh/mile figures from other refresh Model S LR owners. Our S is just a year old, has almost 8,000 miles on it and has gotten 288 KWh/mile over those 8,000 miles. Yesterday on a 57 mile trip we got 258 KWh/ mile. I thought it might be informative to compare our experience with others. Comments on what your driving habits are could be helpful. We consistently travel a bit over the speed limit - nothing we've ever been stopped for. When passing I prefer spending as little time in the oncoming lane as possible :D. My wife is much more restrained. We keep the car in Sport mode all the time. I think it helps me appreciate the car more if I get rudely pushed back in the seat once in a while. We also use the regen pretty regularly.
It would also be interesting to compare figures with other models. I don't know whether this has been done before or not.
My 2022 MS LR has gotten so far 291KWh/mile, just over 5k miles 50% of which were long distance trips. So pretty close to yours. I get consistently around 220-240KWh/mile in city/bumper-to-bumper traffic but around 310KWh/mile on highways. My highway speeds are 75-80mph. These numbers are in line with what I expected. My old 2016 MS 90D was around 360KWh/mile, my previous 2021 MYP was at 315KWh/mile when I traded it in. My wife’s 2021 MY Standard Range RWD has been more efficient, which is expected since it has only one motor. She’s at 220KWh/mile right now.

Honestly, I don’t care about low KWh/mile numbers any more. There have been some many superchargers built since I got my first 2016 MS and the new MS LR charges so fast that I found I can travel long distance almost as fast as in an ICE car.

Reactions: DrJ
I have 6k miles Model S LR Refresh 19” Chill typically going 65mph on highways. I’m at 249 wh/mi EPA reference line is at 240 wh/mi

I have not gone through a full winter yet. So I expect it to creep up.

That trip A is with towing a 2,000 lb trailer.

52381112372_d0e137622d_b_d.jpg

This post got me interested in posting my data. I have Sept 21 build S LR. I’m at 287 KWh/ mile. At just under 9000 miles. Only drive 5-9 over the speed limit on freeway/highways but do enjoy getting up to the speed limit in a hurry. When my 2014 S 85 averaged 285 KWh it would achieve 1:1 rated miles to actual miles. My new S isn’t close to 1:1 at current average. Seems to take at least a 10% hit. My 14 S was trouble free except for a couple of doors handles. Great car. My new LR is greatly improved and can only hope it is as trouble free.