Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kind of regretting getting SR+ and not LR or AWD, anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I order SR+, I was thinking 240 mi, plenty of mileage, I would never drive 240mi a day, and I won't be driving the EV on a road trip, so it should be plenty. What I didn't do the math is keeping the battery within 10-90% meaning my range has drop down to 190 miles. This 190miles also do not mean I can drive for a distance of 190mile. Over the past week, I have experience outside temperature of 40 to 70 degree. Reading the TeslaFi data, at 40 degree (driving mostly at 70mi/h), the car's efficiency can be down to 75%. (short distance efficiency can be as bad as 45% because the battery is cold) I don't know what would happen at below zero. Driving above 80mi/h also hurt efficiency a lot. With 75% efficiency, you will be dealing with 190mi *.75 = 142mile. So my 240mi SR+ is practically only have 142 mil during spring time. I know it will be better in the summer but I can't imagine what happen during winter. After a week of driving, I regret not getting the LR or AWD.

l06gSM0.png

WhzXBMS

Last edited:
I have an awd non p and I got the car in Nov. of 2018 and went through a Buffalo NY winter. I drive about 70 miles a day half at around 60mph and half at about 75mph. The worst case was when we hit - 4 F with a - 25F wind chill. On that day I lost about 50% range. That was the worst I saw all winter. Most of the time under 32F and say above 15F I would be around the 30 to 35% loss range. Preconditioning like ending charges when you are about to leave and warming cabin and seats up before you leave help. Also I keep cabin Temps around 65F, and use seat heaters. Oh also I had 18" areos on all winter.

...regret not getting the LR or AWD.

Thanks for sharing.

Sure people can still survive with Nissan Leaf's range but it's a sacrifice in convenience.

Sub-freezing temperature is a range killer that some potential owners wouldn't appreciate it until winter comes.

For tropical temperature driving, speed is a range killer that some potential drivers wouldn't appreciate it until they experience it.

Range is King (and don't hesitate if you can afford it)!

Maybe your in the 7 day return period? Try contacting Tesla back if you are and exchange for an inventory LR RWD 325 mile model. I think the long range models are a great bang for your buck mile wise but 240 mile range isn't all that bad. If you don't dont do routine long drives the SR+ might be enough for you still. For day to day use, 200 mile effective range should be plenty and for road trips you will just need to supercharge a little more. Enjoy the car, the SR+ is truly an incredible value. I was shocked they released it in the first place and impressed they can sell it for $37k. Must mean Tesla is turning profit on the least expensive trims

Sorry to bring bad news, but 40-70F is already a significant difference compared to my efficiency during the winter. I was losing 20 miles of range overnight, and turning on the heater will cost you another ~150Wh/mile for the first 15 minutes or so if set to 71F.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
... With 75% efficiency, you will be dealing with 190mi *.75 = 142mile. So my 240mi SR+ is practically only have 142 mil during spring time. I know it will be better in the summer but I can't imagine what happen during winter. After a week of driving, I regret not getting the LR or AWD.

Yes, but it is only an issue if you ever drive more than 142 miles without the ability to charge. And still, you have the 10-90 buffer and possibly more than 75% efficiency to get you more miles. What I'm saying is that it your range anxiety may just be in hypothetical situations. Until you run into a real issue with the SR range, I'd say don't worry about it.

I must confess, I changed my order from MR to LR because I had similar anxiety (but before purchase). Now, after owning the car for 4-5 months, I think we'd have been more than fine with MR or SR. Obviously, it all depends on our individual driving needs. Hopefully, you won't ever run into range issues in real life.

Don't forget that in winter if you're on a road trip, your battery will heat up and the loss of range will be minimal. I did a road trip with a midrange which is pretty close to the S+ and the range was not an issue. Temp was -15c. Of course more range is always better but if you plan it, you'll be just fine. With a proper SC coverage, it is easy, with a bad coverage, you can be stuck with a LR as well.
But if you want to compare, just run some trip on abetterroute planner with both vehicle, it will give you a good idea of what is doable or not.

Last edited:
It's always fun to watch range anxiety.
You aren't going to drive enough to have problem on a daily basis.
That's enough range to make it from Supercharger, So you can make it from Chicago to LA. So it works as a travel car as well.

Stop doing the math. Enjoy the car.

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have much problem getting my 2018 Leaf with 150 miles from Atlanta to Chicago, it just takes me longer, since I have to charge more. The Supercharger network seems to be currently built for about 100 mile spacing in most parts of the country.

Charge at home and enjoy the car

On 1/30, I went to work while it was -21F outside (not wind chill). My 58 mile round trip commute ended up using over 150 miles of range. Charged to 250 miles. Went home with less than 100. That’s the day I truly truly appreciate the longer range. I was initially planning to get the SR.

Reactions: Big Earl
When I order SR+, I was thinking 240 mi, plenty of mileage, I would never drive 240mi a day, and I won't be driving the EV on a road trip, so it should be plenty. What I didn't do the math is keeping the battery within 10-90% meaning my range has drop down to 190 miles. This 190miles also do not mean I can drive for a distance of 190mile. Over the past week, I have experience outside temperature of 40 to 70 degree. Reading the TeslaFi data, at 40 degree (driving mostly at 70mi/h), the car's efficiency can be down to 75%. (short distance efficiency can be as bad as 45% because the battery is cold) I don't know what would happen at below zero. Driving above 80mi/h also hurt efficiency a lot. With 75% efficiency, you will be dealing with 190mi *.75 = 142mile. So my 240mi SR+ is practically only have 142 mil during spring time. I know it will be better in the summer but I can't imagine what happen during winter. After a week of driving, I regret not getting the LR or AWD.

l06gSM0.png

WhzXBMS
That's the math I did that led me to cancel my e-tron reservation in January, and I expected it would be rated at 230 miles and now we know it's 204. Is Saturday too late to return it? If so, you still have a very good car that's miles better than my first and only EV that had an EPA range of 76 miles.

Today I went on a road trip to my son's college to be in fall with my family.
Total distance was 250 miles.
I have SR+, the 240 mile version.
Theoretically, I should just make 1 stop and all will work out. LOL.

At 80 mph, the consumption was averaging 335 kwh/mi.
After 80 miles, we stopped for our very first supercharging experience ever. I normally charge at home with 110V outlet and I get 5 miles/hour.
The supercharger's rate was 330 kw. Incredible! My battery is only 55kwh. Lol.
It charged so fast that I had to go get the car before my lunch was served.
We made 2 more stops to charge.
I was totally ok with the stops, but my wife thought it was absurd. If we had driven her X3, zero fuel stops would have been needed in 250 miles.
True.
But I would still do it again because I am an EV person. Lol.

With a mid range model I would have made the same number of stops for this trip.
With as LR, I might have been ok with 1 stop.
But I don't make long trips like this often.
I have no regrets for getting a SR+

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread the only optional things you should ever pick should be AFTER being able to afford LR. There is almost 0 solid reason to get a SR+ with AP instead of a LR RWD with no AP. Don't do it....ever. If you're looking at SR+ without AP as that's your budget then fine.

I think AP + SR+ is a fine combo for people who don't road trip. But I agree with what your trying to get at. Don't get a color or sport wheels or white interior before LR as that is a poor decision. You truly do want the most range you can handle. The absolute worst financial decision you could make is skipping LR and getting a SR with red exterior+ white interior + sport wheels. It would be a $5k mistake you will definitely regret over a LR RWD. If you have to pick between cosmetics and range it might signal your getting yourself locked into too pricey of a car to handle.

Short trips are worst case. I get much better range when I’m on the road vs lots of trips around town. Esp in the cold.

I do prefer the LR, that’s for sure. But you may be looking at worst case and it really isn’t that bad. When it matters on trips. Around town I don’t really care. I preheat/cool, drive fast, etc. never drive enough during the day to matter.