Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key in Key Switch, Door Ajar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I work on or clean the car and want the radio to play. I push the key (sideways) into the door latch. This fools the car into thinking the door is closed. I just have to remember to push the open button before closing the door for real.

I am also bothered by the short 45 second time to insert my key in the ignition before the security system is reset... Does anyone know why the Tesla engineers set the timeout to such a short period?

It might be Canada's fault. Our government requires all new cars to meet CAN/ULC-S338-98, and Tesla had to make the appropriate modifications to get it certified here. They probably kept using the same system for other countries because it is an excellent theft deterrent.

I'm not going to buy the standard just to see if I'm right, but it probably includes something about a timeout.

Just as a point of reference, my 2002 Saturn will make annoying dinging sounds if you open the door with the key still in the ignition. This happens whether the car is on or off.

Yeah, most cars do. The problem is that the Roadster uses the same alarm klaxon that is used to indicate your power train has failed. It also takes over the VDS screen.

Same thing if your tire pressure warning system has a glitch. That's actually quite annoying because you're usually driving when it happens, it really sounds "dire", and so you think you've got a power train problem or something. It's a potentially unsafe distraction from diving. (Fixed under warranty, FYI.)

You get this same alarm for everything up to and including the annual service notice. Everything short of bugs on your windshield.

Just speed up the time for everything. After the uniqueness of starting a car that does not rev the whole "boot up" procedure is excruciatingly slow. Now that I am comfortable with startup, I often do everything too fast and it crashes/locks up.

The Roadster and Model S need to be designed for a Le Mans start.

My solution for the slow startup is to get in, start the car, put it in reverse (with my foot on the brake), then put on my seat belt. That extra bit of time putting on my belt after starting usually is just enough for the aftermarket Kenwood unit to turn on the backup camera and for everything else to settle down.

... I often do everything too fast and it crashes/locks up...

What do you mean by crashes/lockups?
I've had my 2.0 Sport for 20 months and 21,000 miles and don't remember any startup issues, but I guess I take a little time (after turning the key) messing with the radio, my glasses and my driving gloves unless it's too hot for the gloves.

Speaking of things taking too long at startup... I have the JVC KD-NX5000. It won't turn on the backup camera until Nav initializes or you press the Enter button. Minor nuisance.

But just a few days ago it started showing a "maps are old" message after the Nav initializes. The backup camera won't work until you manually clear that message.

Is there any way to get rid of this message, short of spending $165 for a map disk? Honestly if I really need directions I bring my Garmin because the built-in Nav is so lousy; the last thing I want to do is buy a new map disk every year.

So to see what all the fuss was about, I got in my car this morning and (whoa!!) STARTED IT WITH THE DOOR OPEN. Yep. Living on the edge. :)

The 'door ajar' warning came on. And then I closed the door. And much to my surprise, the 'door ajar' warning went away. Like immediately. Door shut. Warning gone. Kind of anticlimactic.

(But I vote with vfx ... I could do without the whole key thing.)

You're way ahead of us Bonnie...you've rid yourself of (both) the door ajar warning, and the creep! :biggrin::wink:

So to see what all the fuss was about, I got in my car this morning and (whoa!!) STARTED IT WITH THE DOOR OPEN. Yep. Living on the edge. :)

The 'door ajar' warning came on. And then I closed the door. And much to my surprise, the 'door ajar' warning went away. Like immediately. Door shut. Warning gone. Kind of anticlimactic.

(But I vote with vfx ... I could do without the whole key thing.)

I'm with Bonnie on this, I don't see the issue. I've only started my car once with the door open (in response to this thread BTW) to see what the annoyance was all about. When I closed the door, the alarm disappeared. I normally don't start a car until doors are closed, so I typically don't see this alarm anyway. Seems like much ado about nothing, but that's my humble opinion :)

I would love to disable these AUDIO alarms - I find them so annoying and sadly insulting....unfortunately today we are all morons with the continual erosion of personal responsibilities...
If I lock the keys in the car it's MY fault - not Tesla's because they did not install some stupid reminder......ah can't talk like that anymore....