Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob cracking on top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the circle outline of the top button last week and today when I went to press the top button, I noticed that the whole plastic circle came off showing the button underneath. I assume they would replace this so I will just take it in next time. It does look kind of cool though so maybe I will keep it.
View attachment 16416

They will replace it. Make sure you bring both keys with you as they need to reprogram both your new key and the non-broken second key.

Given that the handles have a pressure gauge (to open them), could a gentle inward push on an open handle send a message to retract the handle and lock the car?
I'd like to see this too. I don't have the tech package, so having to fish the fob out of my pocket and watch to make sure the lock command is received (sometimes it isn't) gets a bit annoying. That and the wear on the fob is showing much sooner than I anticipated (<2 months).

My battery door fell off and got lost after 3 days. Reportred it to thye store and area service manager and was told that I had to BUY a new forb for $250. This made me quite unhappy and I let TM know how unhappy is was. Supposedly I am going to get a new battery door (MSRP $.03?) when the ranger comes to fix some other things. I guess time will tell, but it is really embarrasing for me to show off my new Tesla and it's fob with gaffer's tape on the doorpost AND the keyfob!

Here's a picture. I knew that fancy macro lens I bought but never use would come in handy at some point.

View attachment 15495

Yep, my the trunk of my Tesla just fell off the other day. In my pocket. Oh yes, the Fob, not the car... Service had not seen his before here in the East.

- - - Updated - - -

They will replace it. Make sure you bring both keys with you as they need to reprogram both your new key and the non-broken second key.

Yes, wish I'd read that before I went to Service... will bring the second key next time...

Looks like a design flaw. Great concept, but the material needs to be both flexible and strong. Mine hasn't broken, but the little circles on the plastic have appeared. Going forward, this issue looks like real problem for Tesla.

i don't have the tech package so my fob gets a bit more wear. Tesla might be able to minimize fob wear for non-tech owners by enabling the auto-presenting door handles, but that really wouldn't "solve" the problem (and would likely piss off the owners who paid for the tech package).

Last edited:
Looks like a design flaw. Great concept, but the material needs to be both flexible and strong. Mine hasn't broken, but the little circle on the plastic have appeared. Going forward, this issue looks like real problem for Tesla.

If you look at the key fob that piece can be replaced easily. Just request more than 1 so you will have for the future.

mine is cracking too, and i was told this was common problem.. so they will not be replacing the key fobs ( as they will simply crack again ) - but instead are working on a new material that will no longer crack and then replace at that time - at least this is what i was told.

mine is cracking too, and i was told this was common problem.. so they will not be replacing the key fobs ( as they will simply crack again ) - but instead are working on a new material that will no longer crack and then replace at that time - at least this is what i was told.

This is more like what I would expect. I wonder why it took so long for them to discover this issue?

I don't have the tech package so my fob gets a bit more wear. Tesla might be able to minimize fob wear for non-tech owners by enabling the auto-presenting door handles, but that really wouldn't "solve" the problem (and would likely piss off the owners who paid for the tech package).

Same here (non-tech). It seems a bit silly to me that they charge for this feature. I know that the car sees the fob, because I can touch the handle to bring it out as long as the fob is in range of the car. If it would placate Tech Package buyers, I'd probably be willing to pay a small upgrade fee to enable the feature. Not 1/10th the cost of the Tech Package (assuming equal pricing for each of the 10 features). More like 1/40th to 1/80th. :)

The plastic on my key came totally off and Tesla replaced it with no problem. Make sure you bring both keys with you. I wanted to keep the broken key since it makes for a cool toy but they had to send it back to HQ. Here is the pic.
photo.JPG.jpeg

The plastic on my key came totally off and Tesla replaced it with no problem. Make sure you bring both keys with you. I wanted to keep the broken key since it makes for a cool toy but they had to send it back to HQ.

Yeah, when my S was delivered in October one of the keys had a crack all the way across it. When they replaced it they insisted on keeping the cracked key. I was a little annoyed that they would insist on sending the thing back to get tossed or dropped in a parts bin rather than letting me keep it as a spare, since it worked just fine.

Yeah, when my S was delivered in October one of the keys had a crack all the way across it. When they replaced it they insisted on keeping the cracked key. I was a little annoyed that they would insist on sending the thing back to get tossed or dropped in a parts bin rather than letting me keep it as a spare, since it worked just fine.

Wouldn't you rather they check the key out and figure out how to make a better one since they replaced the key for free? You had the option of keeping the old one instead of getting a new one since it worked fine.