Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep the radio controls on the Right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
In my Model 3, software version 2023.2.12, the radio controls default to the lower left corner of the screen, and I have to swipe them to get them back on the right side at the top.

I want them to stay on the right side. Is there a way to do that?

And bring back the odometer TENTHS DIGIT!!! There is no good reason why it was removed a year ago!!!

Reactions: GSP
I agree that the UI is still fundamentally bad and inexcusably so. It's arguably better than it has been, but there are some basic fundamentals of UI design that even after all of these summers, this intern still can't manage to grasp, like:
  • Don't mix random stuff together in a senseless mishmash. Like tire pressures, music, and the odometer.
  • Don't hide things in a random and senseless manner, like the odometer being hidden inside a music icon, which itself only appears if the music is hidden.
  • Don't make the most crucial emergency button on the entire screen (Homelink skip) be some tiny grey-on-grey blend-in with the clock that only appears the very instant it's about to trigger.
  • Especially in a car.

Reactions: E90alex
That's just the way they work now. I would like an option to have them appear on the bottom right, as they were before the update, but that probably clashes with the navigation instructions as they are now situated. It's something Tesla may address in a future update but I don't lose any sleep over it.

+1000! This really bugs me and makes me think the kids doing the ui have never actually driven a car.
One thing is for sure, the car designers never lived in an a place that gets sub-freezing weather, snow, and ice. How the hell did anyone ever think it was a good idea to remove the odometer TENTHS digit? I drove a loaner Model S recently, and it still had its TENTHS digit!!! Apparently only Model 3's and maybe Y's lost it.

One thing is for sure, the car designers never lived in an a place that gets sub-freezing weather, snow, and ice. How the hell did anyone ever think it was a good idea to remove the odometer TENTHS digit? I drove a loaner Model S recently, and it still had its TENTHS digit!!! Apparently only Model 3's and maybe Y's lost it.
Because Teslas UX designers are computer UX designers, not car UX designers.

It’s clear they prioritize aesthetics rather than ease of use and intuitiveness for something in a moving vehicle.

If it were a standalone tablet or computer you use at home it would be fine. But as a car interface it leave a lot on the table.

I need to arrange a meeting in person with Tesla top management and engineers, and bring them a list of what's wrong with the UI and how it should be changed. Increased configuration options, setting defaults, layout, etc.

I've lived in sub-freezing weather, snow and ice for 40+ years. I'm having a problem making a connection to that and the use of the tenths reading.

I've lived in sub-freezing weather, snow and ice for 40+ years. I'm having a problem making a connection to that and the use of the tenths reading.
There's no direct connection between winter weather and the tenths digit being gone from the odometer. I'm just firing off a list of all the things Tesla has done wrong in their UI.

Aside from no tenths digit, I want to be able to set a default setting for the headlights. I can't live with them being on all the time, for nearly 5 years I go in and turn them off manually when I get in the car, unless it is dark outside.

And I'm sure people would like to reposition other things.

For example, I want the radio controls to only ever appear in the big right side window. NEVER at the bottom of the screen on the left! Make a default button for that.

How do I get an in person meeting with top Tesla engineers?

I want to be able to set a default setting for the headlights. I can't live with them being on all the time, for nearly 5 years I go in and turn them off manually when I get in the car, unless it is dark outside.

And I'm sure people would like to reposition other things.

For example, I want the radio controls to only ever appear in the big right side window. NEVER at the bottom of the screen on the left! Make a default button for that.

I'm with you on the headlights. The problem is that you have to start the car to turn them off. If you start the car, and it is facing a shady area, the lights turn on and then turn off when they see more daylight as the car moves. That happens to me every time I back out of my driveway. I don't like them cycling back and forth like that.

I'm not sure of the radio issue you cite. If you keep the trip card or the tire pressure card displayed on the bottom left, the radio/streaming controls stay at the top right of the screen.

I'm still not getting it. You're worried that if you drive into a dark tunnel on a bright sunny day that the headlights will automatically turn on? Other than the obvious safety and legal benefits that you apparently "don't need", why is it even a problem? Specifically, what is the exact literal downside of having auto mode enabled?

Similarly, if you said that you "don't need" all 4 wheels so you take one off every morning, I'd agree that your statement is true, but would be curious to know the benefit you're finding and how it could be great enough to justify the safety compromise.

Reactions: E90alex
On a bright, sunny day don't need them...
The car will turn them off if it’s not needed. Yes they might come on under an overpass or something but it doesn’t hurt anything for it to do so. You’re literally creating more work for yourself since as you said they default to auto and you need to go in and turn it off after starting the car.

Most new cars now default to auto headlights next key cycle even if you turned them off previously. This is due to people turning lights off and forgetting to turn them back on.

It’s better to not need them and have them on, than to need them and have them off.

And even if the lights are not doing anything to light your pathway, it can still improve visibility of your car for other road users (eg inclement weather or shadows/tunnels). Some countries even require headlights on day and night because of this.

Reactions: GSP
I'm still not getting it. You're worried that if you drive into a dark tunnel on a bright sunny day that the headlights will automatically turn on? Other than the obvious safety and legal benefits that you apparently "don't need", why is it even a problem? Specifically, what is the exact literal downside of having auto mode enabled?

Not worried when they automatically come on when driving. If I was driving a car without auto headlights, I would turn them on manually in such situations for increased safety.

What I don't need is for lights to come on in my lighted garage during daylight hours and then turn themselves off as soon as the front of the car clears the edge of a garage door. Alternately, when returning home, in bright sunshine, the car is facing the garage entrance and it turns the lights on even if the interior light of the garage is on; I don't like unnecessary cycling of things that may shorten component life. Now, if you can show me that the lights will be unaffected by on and off ( unnecessary situations only ) cycling, you will put my mind at ease and I will stop fretting over it. I might also add that I avoid waking the car unnecessarily to keep the contactors from closing and opening. You can also put my mind at ease on that issue too if you prefer to do so. I am willing to learn as much as I can about these cars and am not distressed in the least when someone with knowledge corrects some notion I have developed. All I ask for are some facts, figures and sources if available.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: GSP and danarcha
You’re literally creating more work for yourself since as you said they default to auto and you need to go in and turn it off after starting the car.

Once the the headlights turn on, I don't manually turn them off as they will automatically turn off as soon as they detect enough daylight when exiting my garage.

However, I might select manual if driving on tree lined country roads, in the middle of a sunny day, and the lights are continually turning on and off.