Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just reserved a M3 from Hertz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I needed a car in LA for 5 days so I decided to rent a T just like mine at home. I only saw one other thread about rentals and wanted to know of any other experiences out there. Has Hertz gotten better with how they configure them, phone keys, glovebox, setups? While I expect some restrictions I would like it set up as much like mine as possible. Will I be able to use my Tidal account? BT? So much of the experience is from the personalization but that will be missing. Will I be able to set up a profile for the seats even?

If I'm the next guinea pig on the forum I guess I'll be reporting back.

I just got an email from Hertz with a link about all things I need to know, and already knew it all since I own one. The one thing it does NOT mention is being able to use your phone as a key, so my guess is the key card will be it. Everything else is customizable but I do wonder if I'll be able to create a profile to store it during my stay.

Whatever, it'll be fine. Oh, charging is free!

Before you commit to renting that Tesla from Hertz, take a look at where the Tesla superchargers are located in the L.A. area. I was in L.A. several weeks ago and was surprised at how few of them there are. I came up with a total of 10 Supercharger facilities and that includes places like Glendale, Burbank, Culver City and Playa Vista. Depending on where you are staying and where you are going you might have to make a time consuming side trip to charge the car. I haven't included destination chargers in this because many destination chargers are at hotels and you have to be a guest to use them. I also haven't included third party chargers because if you don't open an account with them you're out of luck.

Before you commit to renting that Tesla from Hertz, take a look at where the Tesla superchargers are located in the L.A. area. I was in L.A. several weeks ago and was surprised at how few of them there are. I came up with a total of 10 Supercharger facilities and that includes places like Glendale, Burbank, Culver City and Playa Vista. Depending on where you are staying and where you are going you might have to make a time consuming side trip to charge the car. I haven't included destination chargers in this because many destination chargers are at hotels and you have to be a guest to use them. I also haven't included third party chargers because if you don't open an account with them you're out of luck.
There happen to be superchargers near both places I'm staying, in Santa Monica down by the beach and in Pasadena right behind the hotel. I'm going to a wedding there and I have a feeling I won't be doing too much touring around.

Free supercharging can easily make up for the price difference too with an ICE car, although I don't think I'll be driving enough to make it all up.

Last edited:
Interesting observation. I spent a few weekends in LA and thought the opposite of you. I found them to be plentiful around the area, excluding our stay in Long Beach, CA.

LASC.jpeg

I don't know about the charge level they expect, but if I were Hertz I'd be adding chargers to the lots. The supercharging is free for now so it doesn't matter to me, except that it'll take a little extra time on the return. There's a charger somewhere near LAX and the car will take me there in any case.

I was staying in West Hollywood and the nearest Tesla Superchargers were in Culver City, Santa Monica and Downtown. Not very convenient if you ask me.
depends on what you think "convenient" is. this is LA which is spread out. it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere. there are chargers everywhere in town. you dont need to SC at each place you go. next time you come out, stay in santa monica.

Reactions: scrapps and cwerdna
depends on what you think "convenient" is. this is LA which is spread out. it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere. there are chargers everywhere in town. you dont need to SC at each place you go. next time you come out, stay in santa monica.
"30 minutes to get anywhere in L.A." Are you kidding me? I spent years working on film and tv projects in L.A. I often spent up to 9 months at a stretch there. I had an apartment near the Hollywood Bowl because most of my work was either at Universal Studios or Warner Brothers. Both studios were less than 4 miles from my place. Frequently it would take as much as 30 minutes just to go 4 miles. Yes, L.A. is a big place, and in my opinion Hollywood and West Hollywood are seriously underserved when it comes to Tesla Superchargers

I have no illusions about traffic in LA. It is generally just miserable. Back in the 80s I was on a pleasure trip from Seattle to San Diego mostly down the coast and when I hit someplace around Thousand Oaks it was bumper to bumper practically the entire way to SD. This map probably doesn't even look that bad to you:

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 10.47.53 AM.png

"30 minutes to get anywhere in L.A." Are you kidding me? I spent years working on film and tv projects in L.A. I often spent up to 9 months at a stretch there. I had an apartment near the Hollywood Bowl because most of my work was either at Universal Studios or Warner Brothers. Both studios were less than 4 miles from my place. Frequently it would take as much as 30 minutes just to go 4 miles. Yes, L.A. is a big place, and in my opinion Hollywood and West Hollywood are seriously underserved when it comes to Tesla Superchargers
"30 minutes to get anywhere" -- i didn't write that thought out fully. i mean to say add 30 minutes to anywhere you go in this town. even if its 2 miles down there road it will take you at minimum 30 minutes. you are correct in the traffic flows here. my bad for not stating my meaning properly...

im a cinematographer ( 30 years) and steadicam operator (19 years) and i know exactly what you mean!!