Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered CPO MY from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Thankful to be joining the community. This is my first Tesla and I've always wanted one!

I ordered/purchased a Certified Pre-owned (2020, FSD, Accel Boost, Red, 30k miles) direct from Tesla last week and I had a noob question that I've been looking for some answers to.

Is there a sticky, pdf, website, etc that can give me a "checklist" of sorts to go through the pre-owned Y before I take possession? While I've been wanting a Tesla for years, there is still the "you don't know what you don't know". I'm concerned my lack of knowledge might get me into trouble here if I'm not careful!

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to participating!

Andy

Reactions: tmruwart
A lot will depend on what you paid for it. I have a 2020 MYP and absolutely love it but with that said since 2020 I counted over 25 improvements they made that on occasion I envy. In general give it a good used car look and and consider checking the charge range stats to see if the previous owner followed basic proper charge routines.

There is very little maintenance of a Tesla Model Y during the first 4 years.

Check the condition of the tires for wear and uneven wear that may indicate an alignment is needed.

Ask Tesla if the (2) cabin air filters have been changed. (The cabin air filters should be changed every 2 years.)

Check the condition of the windshield wipers. Replacement wiper blades are available from the Tesla online store and Amazon.

Remove the plastic shroud under the hood to expose the coolant reservoir, 12V lead acid battery (was used until late 2021 when Tesla switched to a low voltage (15.5V) lithium battery module and brake fluid reservoir.

All fluids should be at or close to the full line (coolant may be below the full line and this is not usually an issue unless you spot signs of a leak beneath the parked vehicle (coolant is blue.)

Brake fluid reservoir should be full, clear or light gold in color not dark brown.

Check that the windshield wiper washer hose is securely connected to the washer fluid pump (this is a common issue where the hose comes off the connector at the washer fluid pump.)

Check for signs of corrosion at the 12V battery terminals. The terminals should be clean and tight with no sign of any corrosion or leaking (Warning! Do not touch any fluid that is observed leaking from a 12V lead-acid battery as this is concentrated sulfuric acid and will burn skin.) 12V lead-acid battery is covered by the basic 4 year / 50k mile Tesla new vehicle warranty. These batteries tend to last around 4 years but sometimes need to be replaced sooner. (New 12V lead-acid Model Y batteries costs $85 from Tesla or $165 if installed by a Tesla Mobile Service technician.)

Check that the tow hook is stored inside the front trunk (frunk) storage bin.

You should receive a Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter (often called the J1772 adapter). This small adapter will enable you to charge at any public Level 2 charging station. This adapter comes with every new Tesla vehicle, not sure if the J1772 charging adapter is included with a previously owned Tesla vehicle. The J1772 adapter can be purchased for $50 from the Tesla online store.

You should receive a Tesla thumb drive for recording Dashcam and Sentry mode recordings. This thumb drive comes with every new Tesla vehicle, not sure if a thumb drive is included with a previously owned Tesla vehicle. You can also use a microSD card and card reader or an SSD memory storage device. The 2020 Tesla Model Y included a USB-C port (powers the wireless phone charging pad) and USB-A data port located beneath the wireless phone charging pad (the wireless phone charging pad can be tilted up.) The USB-A port is where you would insert the thumb drive or other memory storage device. There are also two rear-facing USB-C ports located on the backside of the center console (power only, no data support) that can charge your devices. There is a 12V accessory port inside the center console and a second 12V accessory port located on the left side of the hatch storage area.

Last edited:

Check the condition of the tires for wear and uneven wear that may indicate an alignment is needed.

Ask Tesla if the (2) cabin air filters have been changed. (The cabin air filters should be changed every 2 years.)

Check the condition of the windshield wipers. Replacement wiper blades are available from the Tesla online store and Amazon.

Remove the plastic shroud under the hood to expose the coolant reservoir, 12V lead acid battery (was used until late 2021 when Tesla switched to a low voltage (15.5V) lithium battery module and brake fluid reservoir.

All fluids should be at or close to the full line (coolant may be below the full line and this is not usually an issue unless you spot signs of a leak beneath the parked vehicle (coolant is blue.)

Brake fluid reservoir should be full, clear or light gold in color not dark brown.

Check that the windshield wiper washer hose is securely connected to the washer fluid pump (this is a common issue where the hose comes off the connector at the washer fluid pump.)

Check for signs of corrosion at the 12V battery terminals. The terminals should be clean and tight with no sign of any corrosion or leaking (Warning! Do not touch any fluid that is observed leaking from a 12V lead-acid battery as this is concentrated sulfuric acid and will burn skin.) 12V lead-acid battery is covered by the basic 4 year / 50k mile Tesla new vehicle warranty. These batteries tend to last around 4 years but sometimes need to be replaced sooner. (New 12V lead-acid Model Y batteries costs $85 from Tesla or $165 if installed by a Tesla Mobile Service technician.)

You should receive a Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter (often called the J1772 adapter). This small adapter will enable you to charge at any public Level 2 charging station. This adapter comes with every new Tesla vehicle, not sure if the J1772 charging adapter is included with a previously owned Tesla vehicle. The J1772 adapter can be purchased for $50 from the Tesla online store.

You should receive a Tesla thumb drive for recording Dashcam and Sentry mode recordings. This thumb drive comes with every new Tesla vehicle, not sure if a thumb drive is included with a previously owned Tesla vehicle. You can also use a microSD card and card reader or an SSD memory storage device. The 2020 Tesla Model Y included a USB-C port (powers the wireless phone charging pad) and USB-A data port located beneath the wireless phone charging pad (the wireless phone charging pad can be tilted up.) The USB-A port is where you would insert the thumb drive or other memory storage device. There are also two rear-facing USB-C ports located on the backside of the center console (power only, no data support) that can charge your devices. There is a 12V accessory port inside the center console and a second 12V accessory port located on the left side of the hatch storage area.
There was no thumb drive included when I bought my 2020 Y LR. I think that may have come when they moved the USB to the glove box.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
A lot will depend on what you paid for it. I have a 2020 MYP and absolutely love it but with that said since 2020 I counted over 25 improvements they made that on occasion I envy. In general give it a good used car look and and consider checking the charge range stats to see if the previous owner followed basic proper charge routines.
You mean like a heated steering wheel, Biodefense mode, 82kwh battery, or even the wipers with the extra two nozzles?

whats the difference of CPO and used with a warranty?
At least in California CPO is a legally defined term, with requirements that Tesla doesn't meet. For example, it requires that they perform an inspection, and the report from that inspection has to be made available to potential buyers. Tesla has never provided an inspection report, even when they had a "CPO" program. (Tesla ended their "CPO" program after them not meeting the criteria for CPO was included as part of a lawsuit against them.)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hello All,

Thankful to be joining the community. This is my first Tesla and I've always wanted one!

I ordered/purchased a Certified Pre-owned (2020, FSD, Accel Boost, Red, 30k miles) direct from Tesla last week and I had a noob question that I've been looking for some answers to.

Is there a sticky, pdf, website, etc that can give me a "checklist" of sorts to go through the pre-owned Y before I take possession? While I've been wanting a Tesla for years, there is still the "you don't know what you don't know". I'm concerned my lack of knowledge might get me into trouble here if I'm not careful!

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to participating!

Andy
Congrats on the new car Andy. Any chance you can change to a newer one if in your price range? As others have mentioned, there have been a tremendous number for worthwhile improvements on the Y.

And what’s the price difference? Just curious, and if you considered getting a 2023
I haven’t found a deal as good as this anywhere. The 2020 I’m getting has the red multi coat with white interior that I love. It has full FSD, accel boost and 30k miles. I’m getting it for 45k. I haven’t seen hardly any at that price and certainly none that’s a single owner car with the Tesla extended warranty included.

I would love to have a newer one, but as a real estate investor, the rebate won’t do anything for me and $70k at this option level is way more than I want to spend.

Am I making a mistake by getting a 2020?

The worst I could lose at this point is $1500.

After I wrote it, I thought of a bunch more. Haha
The heated steering wheel is not included on the 2020....ok that's nearly a dealbreaker! My 2015 F-150 has that and I love it. The absolute must for me is FSD....and the Y fits my family needs (2yo daughter with rear facing seat). I don't really need a 2nd car, but I just want it.

I'm worried that if you tell me more features it doesn't have....I'm going to get the wants. So for my sanity....don't tell me more!

Reactions: MattM24

This is an impressive list. I absolutely will take this printed out with me. THANK YOU!

The heated steering wheel is not included on the 2020....ok that's nearly a dealbreaker! My 2015 F-150 has that and I love it. The absolute must for me is FSD....and the Y fits my family needs (2yo daughter with rear facing seat). I don't really need a 2nd car, but I just want it.

I'm worried that if you tell me more features it doesn't have....I'm going to get the wants. So for my sanity....don't tell me more!
My Escape has it as well and so did my old Mazda3.
While I would love to have it, being able to pre-condition the cabin has made it much less of an issue.

You can always rent FSD for $199/month. It really isn't that impressive. AP will give you a lot of help on the highway. Have you tried it yet?

I forgot about the heated wheel, that would be likely be close to a deal breaker for me. Do you really need the Y over the 3? Having owned both, the 3 is a lot more entertaining to drive. I sold the Y and replaced it with the 3. I gave up some storage space but gained a lot more fun and efficient car. I added a hitch that I can put a rack on and carry a lot more stuff.

You can always rent FSD for $199/month. It really isn't that impressive. AP will give you a lot of help on the highway. Have you tried it yet?

I forgot about the heated wheel, that would be likely be close to a deal breaker for me. Do you really need the Y over the 3? Having owned both, the 3 is a lot more entertaining to drive. I sold the Y and replaced it with the 3. I gave up some storage space but gained a lot more fun and efficient car. I added a hitch that I can put a rack on and carry a lot more stuff.
2 year olds come with a lot of stuff. The Y can hold it.

I agree that the 3 is more fun to drive and more efficient (especially at highway speeds).

Regular AP is great. I wouldn’t concern myself with any more.

We have a Britax Boulevard Clicktight that fit really well behind the passenger seat both rear facing and front facing.