Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just how much buffer is there? (resolve this > 10 kWh discrepancy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a major pet peeve of mine about the car. I want to know what I have left in a much greater detail. Having this zero "buffer" is fine and good for the model 3, when there is ample charging available and the masses will be using this new tech and media will be looking forward to reporting on stranded electric drivers, However, at least for me and I assume others, many trips I am trying to stretch the car to the max, its practicality lies in being able to travel great distances with minimal charging, as there is very little around. Tesla should unlock these miles, maybe an option, I want to know what I really have, I'm a big boy and can handle it. Maybe they could even tie the roadside assistance package to having zero enabled, to protect their interests?? Have the same experience as the OP, only about 74-75 kWh are available to me (less now that car at 16,000mi). I want to know how much more I have.

Hi, I've been following this forum for a year now and got my model S in march and have done 16.000 Km's so far. I just completed a 4000 km drive from Copenhagen to Cornwall in the UK, and I am very interested in this discussion. I only have one need in this car so far: I would very much prefer an option to display KWh on the range bar in stead of typical or range in km/miles. Once you know your car, driving by KWh usage is much easier on long haul.
I have previously driven the car to -7 km on the speedometer (speedometer said 0 and I drove a further 7 Km's) with a total KWh usage of 76,9 (from a range charge), so I know I can probably still do this - any battery degradation, which should be 0 at this mileage. But I would REALY like to know if I can do the 81 KWh's to total 0 as displayd in the battery usage diagram previously posted. Anyone with higher usage?