Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just found this from Heatshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't used pre-conditioning yet because my schedule isn't super stable. I have turned on the A/C with the phone app a few minutes before I left and it cools the cabin down quickly. Light and glare isn't an issue but I always wear polarized sunglasses that have an 85% transmittance. The tint on the front windshield is dark enough, even on the transitional area between clear and tinted. The rear windows and falcon wing door tints are dark enough not to be able to see inside when viewed from outside unless you're right up on the glass.

Overall then do you feel the benefits outweigh the negatives? If you had a choice between a solid roof or a panoramic glass roof (we have with the Model 3) would you still get the pano? I really like the idea of the open view and the added headroom it gives, just don't know enough about the other issues.

Thanks,

Dan

The additional headroom is definitely a plus. I think it will be more important in the model 3 for the rear seat passengers. The tallest person I've had in the second row in my Model X is about 6'4" and he felt comfortable with his head clearance because of the falcon wing glass. If we lost a couple inches of headroom up there, his hair would have been touching. It's currently 85 F and sunny outside and inside my car (full sun) is 95 F. Cooling it down is pretty trivial with the phone app and the Model 3 will probably cool faster than the X because of volume difference.

Better option would be to have Intro Tech make an EXTERNAL sun shade for your Model X. When we first got our Model S Intro Tech didn't make one that fit correctly for my 2015 P85D so I contacted them, drove to their factory in Chino CA and Erik from Intro Tech made a template from my windshield and shipped it to me a couple of days later. If somebody in SoCal has a Model X I'll bet he'll make one for you... and create a new SKU for other Model X owners.

Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shade

Yes I know it's called a Snow Shade but it works fantastic in the sun too since it prevents the "greenhouse effect" of internal sun shades the UV rays from getting INSIDE the glass.

I think that the model X windshield won't be a problem for most people unless you are very light sensitive or live in a desert (both true in my case). I like the view (from what I have seen in my test drive) but I would have ordered it with a regular windshield if that was an option.

We have some sunny warm days finally here in Michigan, but it doesn't compare to the southern states. When it was in the high 80's this week, my model X would reach 109 internally. That's in full sun in an asphalt parking lot so I don't think that's too bad.

In the Bay Area...When its in the 80's I've seen internal car temps of 135...
I just ordered the set of heat shields mentioned in this string from https://www.heatshieldstore.com/

If you use the Coupon Code "KICKOFF" you get $20 off of the $80 order....

Until Tesla sends out the sunshades, the Heatshield product may be perfect for driving with the upper windshield component in place, as well as the glass over the passenger within the FWD.

However, the white inside can be undesirable, especially if the headliner is black.

I spoke to a Heatshield rep about the best way to color the inside of their product. He will contact the supplier about that, as well as send me a sample of the material.

If it is a cloth-like material, then perhaps some colored fabric spray paint might enhance the look of it when installed for driving,

Overall then do you feel the benefits outweigh the negatives? If you had a choice between a solid roof or a panoramic glass roof (we have with the Model 3) would you still get the pano? I really like the idea of the open view and the added headroom it gives, just don't know enough about the other issues.
I'd get the pano again. I've had mine for three years, 70K miles and no issues. I also have the screens from the Accessories store. These are great to reduce the light when the pano is open. The one for the hatch really cuts down on the light from vehicles behind.

The thing to know about forums is that many come to post problems and find answers, few post no issues, so the problems always appear more prevalent than they really are.

They should have patterns for all the glass on the Model X, according to the email I got from them. Here is a picture of the interior. The inside color is Black. On my Model S Silver Heatshield, the interior color is White, but I bought that some years ago, so I don’t know the interior color they use now.’

25690426263_76404446bc_h.jpg
I'm going to be doing a road trip for NorCal to Marble Canyon and Page (to see Antelope Canyon) next month in July. Did you find that the Heatshield product for your Model S worth it? There are so many choices for sun shades on Amazon and I'm trying to figure out the best option. There are a couple of custom manufacturers and want to figure out if it's worth the custom fit. Did you get any other shading for the rest of the glass on the car. I have all the Tesla shades from their Accessory Store and like the fit. Thanks!

I should have posted this in this thread
Model X Sunshade!
I got the gold/black Heatshirlds for the front windows.
Thanks! I ordered the gold/black Heatshield windshield and 2 pairs of side window shades also for my Model S - one for front seat Windows and other for back seat Windows. I am complete now. :) now I can park in the Arizona desert and not cook the inside of the car - MCU and all. I think I'm ready for the road trip! And for the rest of the summer!

I got the heat shield product for the windshield and 4 passenger doors on my Model S. Windshield one is great but you can't really get out of the car if you suction cup all the passenger door ones on the Windows. When you open a door the window for that door opens slightly and thus jams the heat shield into the bottom part of the window sill. In the back, the suction cup on the wing window prevents the door from properly opening without straining the heat shield. Still love the product though. Car was almost 10 degrees warmer with shields in place!