Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just another Road Trip post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend we returned home from our first family road trip in our new (to us) 2021 Model 3 LR. I thought I’d share some information on the experience overall. We travelled from Leeds to North Devon and back, c320mi each way.

The Roof Bars - I was able to get mine a little cheaper than the £368 due a £180 goodwill voucher Tesla gave me for the absolute s**tshow that was the CPO buying experience. Overall, I’m really disappointed in them, these are not £350+ roof bars. a.) the lock broke on one of the bars, meaning I was unable to unlock the nut and adjust it to the recommended torque. I ended have to apply a small amount of force and snap the pathetic little piece of plastic that stops the nut turning, this is hardly going to stop theft. b.) the clip on covers at the front are a nightmare to remove, again I ended up snapping some of the plastic clips that hold them in place, this is in contrast to the rear ones that feel like a fart will blow them off. I realised afterwards that they come off easier from top to bottom if you get your finger under the sponge/foam strip, it would have been helpful if the manual stated this. c.) it’s impossible to tighten the rear nuts to the required torque due to how much the bolt protrudes through the middle, I had to use a washer to raise the rear nuts slightly. Overall, they are just poorly designed and poor quality. Alas, I managed to get them on without cracking my glass and they stayed put for the whole journey with my Hapro Traxer 5.6 box.

The Range - Wow, with a fully loaded car, wife + 2 kiddos and roof box we averaged around 280 Whpm there and back, which was impressive. I don’t think other EV’s can get close to under normal day to day usage, but - we rarely went above 70 on the motorway.

The Charging Network - Plenty of available Superchargers on every stop we made, we played safe and did 2 stops on the way down at Hopwood & Cribbs. On the way back we were a little more confident and did it in one stop ( at Cribbs up to 95%) and arrived home in Leeds with 6%, which certainly raised the heart rate a little as the initial estimate was 20% and we just watched it creep down and down when cruising at 70mph. It feels like that initial estimate uses a best case scenario, rather than the efficiency of your current trip.

Auto Pilot. The car came with EAP, a lot of people really seem to s**t on it, but I have to say I was really impressed. We didn’t try the navigate option, just the cruise / lane keep / lane change stuff. Once I got used to how to rest my hand on the wheel it was a really relaxing way to drive. I like the auto lane change using just the indicator, it also seems very safe as at one point I went to change lane at the same time as a car behind decided to speed up and fly around me. The car spotted the danger and refused the change. One thing I hate though, is that it forces you to have the wipers on the dreaded ‘auto’ mode. So once the sun got low in the sky and we were heading into direct sunlight, I couldn’t use it as the wipers were going crazy. Seems like a real oversight.

The Paint. North Devon coastal roads are a nightmare, single track pretty everywhere with small lay-bys every now and again to cross paths with other vehicles. As a souvenir we have returned with a nice long scratch the full length of the car from a protruding branch. It was only a small branch, one that I feel the paint on my BMW would have come through unscathed. Alas, it may t-cut out, but we’ll see.

Overall, impressed with the car for long road trips, at 6’3 it wasn’t too uncomfortable apart from a bit of right leg ache when using AP, but I guess that’s because by leg wasn’t doing anything!

40564571044_8f8c642d91_b.jpg

"Tesla Model 3" by HumDoyle is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

did it in one stop ( at Cribbs up to 95%)

I think worth doing some sums for that ...

... the charging above 70~80% slows down, and above 90% usually "a lot". It is typically faster to charge to 70% and stop again.

Well ... that's the considered wisdom. It presupposes that the nest charger is of suitable speed (a slow e.g. V2 one might not offer a saving), which is vacant / working / etc,

OTOH if you are having lunch then charging to 95% and not rushing your lunch would be my first choice.

I had a look with ABRP and it did 1-stop (at Hopwood) if leaving Devon at 100% and 2-stops if starting at 80% (Michaelwood and Hopwood), and didn't bother with Cribbs at all. That's a surprise as Cribbs has 250kW stalls, whereas Michaelwood and Hopwood are 150kW only. I tried forcing a stop at Cribbs to 95% and then instead of routing East of Birmingham (Nottingham / Sheffield) it routed West for a stop at Keele (and added 10 miles or so to the journey) - so not surprised you arrived on fumes without a second stop!

I'm surprised that ABRP didn't favour the 250kW opportunity ...

The other general wisdom is to stop nearer to your destination ... the more miles you do, the more empty you are when you charge Natch! That means: car charges faster, and also you can better estimate how much you need to destination. For example, if you have been help up in traffic / roadworks your consumption will have been less and you can either carry on (to home, or a more distance charger), or need less top-up.

Leaving North Devon at 80% (i.e. 2 stops required) ABRP says to put minimum in at first stop, and "sufficient" at 2nd stop. In this case 32%-52% and 22%-71% (and 6 mins / 18 mins). Personally I always do it the other way round. I fill to 70% (unless more is required), and then the final stop is "less" (and if traffic really bad / consumption really good then may skip that stop), also means I have come-in-handy for diversion / thunderstorm etc.

That would also mean that you would get further than Hopwood - so 32%-70% (14 mins) at Michaelwood and 15%-47% (10 mins) at Derby (150kW). Same amount of charging time ... but, for me, stopping at Derby is closer to home, and easier to estimate the minimum amount to destination and likely to have had majority of holdups / improved consumption before then.

But Bjorn doesn't drive like that, and he for sure has plenty of experience. But in Norway fast chargers are as common as Fossil pumps. Putting in minimum, and arriving at the next charging stop "at low %SoC" means you have the fastest charging curve. But I prefer the extra contingency.

Reactions: Wattsisname
there is family contentment to factor into any equation ;)

The estimation will take into account recent driving - so if you head up onto the motorway it may over estimate if the end of your journey down was on quiet/slow roads. Although it should flush through after 15-30 miles so towards the end of your trip it should have been pretty accurate..

I'm surprised that ABRP didn't favour the 250kW opportunity ...
I was also surprised ABRP wasn't selecting Cribbs, but as @Mrklaw suggested I had the family to factor in so the John Lewis at Cribbs was a good opportunity to stop for lunch and some shopping.

I was actually surprised how quick i did hit 95%, I had to go and move the car before lunch, but then I did leave Devon with 90% so arrived the with around 35-40% SOC I think.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
the initial estimate was 20% and we just watched it creep down and down when cruising at 70mph. It feels like that initial estimate uses a best case scenario, rather than the efficiency of your current trip.
I've only done a couple of long trips in my RWD but I tend to find the opposite with the route planner, the initial prediction seems to be ~8% lower than I've arrived at destinations at. I'm guessing that initial prediction doesn't account for your roof bars and the car being fully laden so thats probably why.

The car came with EAP, a lot of people really seem to s**t on it, but I have to say I was really impressed.
I had a loaner car with EAP for a few days and really liked the lane changing on indication also, but I feel like that should be part of the standard autopilot package. Autopark just seemed to take way too long parking, faffing around going backwards and forwards when I'd have parked into a bay in one manouver. And whilst summon is cool, I just don't have a practical use for it, it would just be a gimmick to show people lol. Overall I really didn't think EAP was worth the extra price tag, plus autopark and summon still isn't functional on cars without USS...

I fully agree these cars are awesome for long trips!

Last weekend we returned home from our first family road trip in our new (to us) 2021 Model 3 LR. I thought I’d share some information on the experience overall. We travelled from Leeds to North Devon and back, c320mi each way.

The Roof Bars - I was able to get mine a little cheaper than the £368 due a £180 goodwill voucher Tesla gave me for the absolute s**tshow that was the CPO buying experience. Overall, I’m really disappointed in them, these are not £350+ roof bars. a.) the lock broke on one of the bars, meaning I was unable to unlock the nut and adjust it to the recommended torque. I ended have to apply a small amount of force and snap the pathetic little piece of plastic that stops the nut turning, this is hardly going to stop theft. b.) the clip on covers at the front are a nightmare to remove, again I ended up snapping some of the plastic clips that hold them in place, this is in contrast to the rear ones that feel like a fart will blow them off. I realised afterwards that they come off easier from top to bottom if you get your finger under the sponge/foam strip, it would have been helpful if the manual stated this. c.) it’s impossible to tighten the rear nuts to the required torque due to how much the bolt protrudes through the middle, I had to use a washer to raise the rear nuts slightly. Overall, they are just poorly designed and poor quality. Alas, I managed to get them on without cracking my glass and they stayed put for the whole journey with my Hapro Traxer 5.6 box.

The Range - Wow, with a fully loaded car, wife + 2 kiddos and roof box we averaged around 280 Whpm there and back, which was impressive. I don’t think other EV’s can get close to under normal day to day usage, but - we rarely went above 70 on the motorway.

The Charging Network - Plenty of available Superchargers on every stop we made, we played safe and did 2 stops on the way down at Hopwood & Cribbs. On the way back we were a little more confident and did it in one stop ( at Cribbs up to 95%) and arrived home in Leeds with 6%, which certainly raised the heart rate a little as the initial estimate was 20% and we just watched it creep down and down when cruising at 70mph. It feels like that initial estimate uses a best case scenario, rather than the efficiency of your current trip.

Auto Pilot. The car came with EAP, a lot of people really seem to s**t on it, but I have to say I was really impressed. We didn’t try the navigate option, just the cruise / lane keep / lane change stuff. Once I got used to how to rest my hand on the wheel it was a really relaxing way to drive. I like the auto lane change using just the indicator, it also seems very safe as at one point I went to change lane at the same time as a car behind decided to speed up and fly around me. The car spotted the danger and refused the change. One thing I hate though, is that it forces you to have the wipers on the dreaded ‘auto’ mode. So once the sun got low in the sky and we were heading into direct sunlight, I couldn’t use it as the wipers were going crazy. Seems like a real oversight.

The Paint. North Devon coastal roads are a nightmare, single track pretty everywhere with small lay-bys every now and again to cross paths with other vehicles. As a souvenir we have returned with a nice long scratch the full length of the car from a protruding branch. It was only a small branch, one that I feel the paint on my BMW would have come through unscathed. Alas, it may t-cut out, but we’ll see.

Overall, impressed with the car for long road trips, at 6’3 it wasn’t too uncomfortable apart from a bit of right leg ache when using AP, but I guess that’s because by leg wasn’t doing anything!
The wiper behaviour whilst the car is in EAP is quite weird.

Reactions: iloveplywood

I'm doing a similar trip on Saturday, Warrington to North Devon. I've had a look around the area and seems the going rate is 0.79p/kwh - I don't suppose you managed to stumble on any a little more fairly priced? ZapMap isn't offering any and SC's are quite a way away. I'm staying in the Bideford area.

I'm not too bothered about coming home, it's the pottering around the county I'm looking for tips for 👍

I'm doing a similar trip on Saturday, Warrington to North Devon. I've had a look around the area and seems the going rate is 0.79p/kwh - I don't suppose you managed to stumble on any a little more fairly priced? ZapMap isn't offering any and SC's are quite a way away. I'm staying in the Bideford area.

I'm not too bothered about coming home, it's the pottering around the county I'm looking for tips for 👍
So, I did some research on the property we stayed in. Looking a Google Earth and Street View, along with interior photos of the property. This intensive detective work allowed me to conclude that I would be able to run the granny charger out of the living room window to the car, so we didn’t use a public charger once while down there 😀

So, I did some research on the property we stayed in. Looking a Google Earth and Street View, along with interior photos of the property. This intensive detective work allowed me to conclude that I would be able to run the granny charger out of the living room window to the car, so we didn’t use a public charger once while down there 😀
Ha! This is my sneaky back up plan!
The place where we're staying has 22Kw chargers but charging extortionate rates! Seems everywhere else locally is price matching too!

Charging - Use the Energy Graphs, there's now a lot of great and accurate information in there.

Autopilot - If the wipers keep running, that' saying that it is seeing dirt in front of the camera behind the rearview mirror. Just clean it really well. Mine went on during a recent trip, the wipers wouldn't clear it, so at next charging adjacent to gas station, I got the squeegee and cleaned that area really well. No more wipers running.

But congrats on the trip! Indeed, they are pretty much non-events.

In view of the price of public charging, arriving home on 6% was a perfect outcome.
On recent trips I have tended to run the battery down to 5-6% to get home with no public charging. I have found however that either the Tesla of my Zappi are not happy and do not complete the handshake? Dont know whether this is a problem with the car or the charger? But my Kia never rejects the charger?
Any one else had this experience?

I too did a road trip this week to Devon (a little over 320 mile round trip). The day before, ABRP suggested I would arrive (leaving with 100%) with 37% battery remaining. Car predicted 42% before we left. Left late evening, no traffic and including a 15 min diversion due to nightly road closure, arrived with 47% remaining. Destination chargers at the hotel refused to work. After breakfast, headed to a super charger 9 mins down the road. £8 later (around 85kw speed) headed to a wedding 15 mins down the road before heading back later that evening. Car predicted I would arrive with back home with 3% charge. This increased to 5% during the journey. Mother in-law needed a service break so whilst she spent a penny, I spent a few quid at the super charging (118kw speed) to remove any range anxiety (just in case of any unexpected diversions), arriving home with 17%.

Overall, car impressive although now covered in dead bugs. Air con unit a little nosier than expected but was working hard most of the day. Destination charger useless. Super chargers very impressive (first time using public charging). Spending a few quid to remove any potential range anxiety, priceless for me.

Reactions: ewoodrick
I too did a road trip this week to Devon (a little over 320 mile round trip). The day before, ABRP suggested I would arrive (leaving with 100%) with 37% battery remaining. Car predicted 42% before we left. Left late evening, no traffic and including a 15 min diversion due to nightly road closure, arrived with 47% remaining. Destination chargers at the hotel refused to work. After breakfast, headed to a super charger 9 mins down the road. £8 later (around 85kw speed) headed to a wedding 15 mins down the road before heading back later that evening. Car predicted I would arrive with back home with 3% charge. This increased to 5% during the journey. Mother in-law needed a service break so whilst she spent a penny, I spent a few quid at the super charging (118kw speed) to remove any range anxiety (just in case of any unexpected diversions), arriving home with 17%.

Overall, car impressive although now covered in dead bugs. Air con unit a little nosier than expected but was working hard most of the day. Destination charger useless. Super chargers very impressive (first time using public charging). Spending a few quid to remove any potential range anxiety, priceless for me.

do you remember what % you added at the services? i.e would you have made it back without the stop in the end?

First stop with my Model S 90D added about 16kw, roughly 31%. Second stop added 15%. I wouldn't of got back without the 1st stop. 2nd stop not needed in hindsight but since we were stopping anyway, a quick top up removed any worry of an unplanned diversion. Had I charged longer the first time, 2nd charge definitely wouldn't of been needed. I learned a lot from my first EV long distance drive.

Reactions: Mrklaw
do you remember what % you added at the services? i.e would you have made it back without the stop in the end?
If you are looking at the percentage remaining on the navigation cards, they are pretty close. It's the same thing that's on the Energy Graph screens and is based upon current driving.

I often see the number increasing slightly as I drive. You can also see the impact of slowing down just 5 mph,

Reactions: RedMod3
Last year I did a road trip from the South Coast to Dundee stopping at Warwick, Charnock Richard and Gretna Green.

I'll be doing a return trip in a month or so, any comments on improvements/degradation in supercharging? Last year all was good, but Gretna was busy.