Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50kw would be ideal as I think most of those new Hyundai Kona etc only charge AC at 75kw max so they would get used heaps. 25kw is ok but 50kw would be perfect to keep people moving thru and they would prob get more people buying the next tier plans.

New Jolt 2-bay charger going into the Kellyville Village shops on Windsor Road at Kellyville, just next door to the existing BP chargers. Early morning sun didn’t help with the pics from the car.
IMG_3799.jpeg

I havent been for ages. Since its cooled down my car overheat thing hasnt been on during the day and as you guys suggested the urge to use sentry in other than known places has increased. I probably could top up daily but for the 20 mins that it would take plus diversion from the direct route home im finding it more appealing to just charge up overnight at home at 8c/kwh during the week.
Having said that, if im out and about and my charge is getting lower im more likely now to plug in at Jolt, get the free 7kw and also let it go into a paid session if i need it, so the system works :)

I don't think the audience for Jolt adverts is EV drivers (same as ads on bus shelters or telephone booths).
The ads are placed so any driver or pedestrian sees them.

That said while the model (advertising supported) works now, there's no real incentive for Jolt to expand the number of plugs at an individual site, unless they can get more advertising signs (unlikely in many places and probably diminishing returns).

And I suspect it undermines the ability of the paid 7/22kW pole charger operators to get a commercial return (hard to compete with free) which may mean they don't expand as much as needed.

When I charged Fri night, about half the Jolt sites in Sydney were in use, including all those in the east and majority on northern beaches.
By comparison only about 10% of Chargefox <=22kW sites were in use (and all the ones I clicked on were free sites)

When I charged Fri night, about half the Jolt sites in Sydney were in use, including all those in the east and majority on northern beaches.
Recently I've tried for a Jolt charger a few times when going shopping but always someone there and sometimes someone waiting. Totally different from a year ago. So it is probably a mixture of so many people getting freebies (just look at all the posts in this thread about getting 6.9999999kwhrs for free) and the huge increase in EVs over the past 12 months. I don't think I'll bother trying any more.

The ad screen is not on the same side as the charging plugs. I don't believe advertising is aimed at EV drivers as I have never seen a Jolt ad screen

The main problem with Jolt is the free component. They have tried to mitigate this by allowing the paid subscribers to reserve a Jolting session. I've heard it's for 5 minutes.

IMG_3252.jpeg

6.9999999kwhrs

Though a few of us are in the 7.000 kWh club🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
Recently I've tried for a Jolt charger a few times when going shopping but always someone there and sometimes someone waiting. Totally different from a year ago. So it is probably a mixture of so many people getting freebies (just look at all the posts in this thread about getting 6.9999999kwhrs for free) and the huge increase in EVs over the past 12 months. I don't think I'll bother trying any more.
We don’t have as many in Adelaide’s south but it does seem to go in waves. Once the novelty wears off someone else is in for the free 7kw and 20mins. Sometimes they are all full or like yesterday free.

And I suspect it undermines the ability of the paid 7/22kW pole charger operators to get a commercial return (hard to compete with free) which may mean they don't expand as much as needed.

I make an effort to use the EVX polechargers in Sydney even if I don’t really need to. Some might think paying $0.50/kWh for AC charging is nuts but I like their solution, they are a home-grown company and I like supporting them.

The Carillion Ave site near RPA is great… it’s a nightmare area to park in but there’s a good chance of getting one of the two EVX spaces. And it costs less to plug in and charge (no parking meter ticket needed) than paying $6/hr at adjacent spaces! So basically get charging for free. And you can stay there for up to 4 hours while adjacent spaces are only 2 hours.

In SA where they are good at finding a way to take your money there is a new rule in relation to specifically the car being charged.

That’s cheap. NSW introduced a new road rule in Nov 2022 for unlawful parking in a designated EV charging spot. If a vehicle is not plugged in, or is plugged in but charging was never initiated(*), the fine is up to $2200.

I should lodge an FOI request to find out how many fines have been issued to date, and the average fine amount. $2200 would typically only be imposed by a court if there was wilful, malicious and unrepentant blocking of an EV charger.