Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jettison Jeda No Nomad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I think I might cancel my Nomad and toss my Jeda, what do you think?

iPhone X will now unlock with face recognition [set to less secure wide] (it would not in the cubby).
I can reach the phone better
I can see the phone better
It's less fussy putting on the dock
GPS accuracy is MUCH better (main reason I looked for alternate locations)
Piece of cake to wire
Works landscape or portrait (with this charger it has 2 coils, high and low).
Doesn't require 2 ports like Nomad
And I think overall it looks cleaner than having the cubby always open for the phone
Cost $20.00 (I actually had it hanging around).
It's mounted with 3M double sided foam tape (black "heavy duty" auto stuff)

I was looking for an ultra thin wireless charge that I was gonna put on the lid under the screen and I may still.
I had added a tiny lip to that lid. Then I decided to just try this for the heck of it. Or I might look for a all black sleeker folding one to replace the one below.

Either way the concept of just putting a mount on top of either lid, I think, looks so much cleaner with the cubby closed and it's more functional.

You must use a folding charger if you want it tilted up on the lid next to cup holder. This foldable charger is fairly thick by todays standards and just fit (not hitting bottom of charger or top).
45571591464_2f6a96438f_b_d.jpg

Works landscape or portrait
45382444095_3a3c45f77c_b_d.jpg

Lid still opens fine (barely clears on both ends) I had to strip outer jacket off the cable to allow comfortable fit of wire between lids.
45571592324_38dbb9320f_b_d.jpg

Looks great. Only doesn't look as integrated. Does it keep the phone in place while driving (cornering, bumps, etc)?

I have e-grip on the back of my phone case (love that stuff) so it’s pretty grippy. Maybe if I hit a bump on a corner it might go flying. I could always add a little bolster. Also keep in mind I could run it landscape.

With the cubby now normally closed it actually looks cleaner. Especially when the phone is on there.

I’m still experimenting. But I have yanked out my jeda and canceled my nomad. There are so many other ways to do it that work better and look better than Nomad or Jeda.

The Nomad I received is not ready for prime time. Does not work as advertised, so it's a good thing you cancelled.

Did you get the old one with the batteries in it or the "new" one that isnt supposed to be released until Jan 15th?

@OP, I dont normally touch my phone when I am driving (or I didnt with my BMW anyway, only have a couple hundred miles on my new tesla and have been on vacation so no need to commute to work). Is there any reason with the nomad (or jeda) that I cant put my phone in the cubby and close the lid?

Right now, I have to touch the phone while in the tesla to listen to and respond to text messages (using siri voice commands) because there is no long press or anything to access siri from the steering wheel controls. I plan to enable "hey siri" on my phone, which i dont particularly want to do but I like being able to use voice commands while driving to listen to texts and respond vs touching the phone for any reason.

I picture the wireless charging pads as being able to charge the phone and still be able too access those commands with the cubby closed for the streamline clean look, but I dont have a wireless charger yet.

Am I missing something?

Did you get the old one with the batteries in it or the "new" one that isnt supposed to be released until Jan 15th?

@OP, I dont normally touch my phone when I am driving (or I didnt with my BMW anyway, only have a couple hundred miles on my new tesla and have been on vacation so no need to commute to work). Is there any reason with the nomad (or jeda) that I cant put my phone in the cubby and close the lid?

Right now, I have to touch the phone while in the tesla to listen to and respond to text messages (using siri voice commands) because there is no long press or anything to access siri from the steering wheel controls. I plan to enable "hey siri" on my phone, which i dont particularly want to do but I like being able to use voice commands while driving to listen to texts and respond vs touching the phone for any reason.

I picture the wireless charging pads as being able to charge the phone and still be able too access those commands with the cubby closed for the streamline clean look, but I dont have a wireless charger yet.

Am I missing something?

Well for one, if you close the lid, siri is gonna have a hard time hearing you. It'd not gonna use the car mic.
In the cubby GPS accuracy is hit or miss. Some days fine others not. I run an app that needs it (I can run it with or without display). I'm sure I shut lid it would be way worse.

I sure wish the car supported "Siri Eyes" (google it). In my Jeep if I hold the "Voice Call" button on the steering wheel I can talk to Siri through the cars Mic. It also instantly mutes radio. This works plugged into USB or Not. It's sort like Apple Car Play but Audio Only. Tesla could easily add that. I can ask Siri to read or reply to text messages etc. Doing it directly with the phone is hit or miss, clumsy.

Some people like to still use Waze would be another reason to have phone visible.

I doubt cell phone reception would hurt with lid closed. Just checked even GPS seems ok with lid closed.

Here is another experiment. It was $20 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F5DS2LJ (just got it Friday and now not available)

For some odd reason GPS is happy with this. But I need to be careful with that as GPS sats constantly vary what is in "view".

I plug Music/TeslaCAM Stick in one port and this in the other. No splitters or anything.
The OEM rubber matte is fairly flat. I needed to position it just right because if it's too low it cause phone not to sit flat.
This is only 0.1" thick. Thinnest I could find.

It does not have the phone falling off issue either because it's the OEM rubber matte on top of this.

It looks fairly good on top of matte as well because it's similar color and similar texture.
Phone is not pushed up like Nomad will. And Tray can full lift because it's stock rubber matte only.

46268984492_e4989fac54_b_d.jpg

46295908582_e0b90c5139_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin